Mint: a great OS, but ...

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
Decemberdoom

Re: Mint: a great OS, but ...

Post by Decemberdoom »

You could use TrueCrypt, encryption software rarely comes pre-installed since the average person doesn't need it. It's a fully graphical program as well.

Get it by opening up a terminal and typing

sudo apt-get install truecrypt

Or just go to the package manager and install it from there if you really don't want to use the Command Line.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Decemberdoom has a good suggestion. I have used TrueCrypt before and have been happy with it. In Linux you can't currently encrypt the system partition however. This isn't a big problem with Linux as it would be in Windows. Data is scattered all over the Windows partition. In Linux you should have no data in the OS proper anyway, so it is easy to encrypt the data partition or partitions and still be safe. There is nothing in the OS itself worth protecting. OSs are a dime-a-dozen. :-)

Fred
Fred

Post by Fred »

just_herbert,

Actually, I can't think of any user specific files that are stored outside of the user's /home. Having said that, I admit it would be nice to have the ability to hide an operating system in an encrypted volume and show a honey pot system, so-to-speak.

Fred
element

Post by element »

i did a fedora install about a week ago and was able to choose encryption and ext4 at the partioning stage. i would also like to see that in mint.
llobach

Post by llobach »

I have switched from Linux Mint to openSUSE then to Fedora because of the lack of an encryption option during installation. I believe Linux should lead the way with user security and this should extend to offering encryption at installation - especially as now more than half of PCs sold in the UK are laptops or netbooks. No other security option can beat encryption at safeguarding your data once that PC is lost. So come on Mint, give me a reason to come home!
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

just_herbert wrote:There is no filesystem or full-disk encryption! I searched the internet and looked for solutions but didn't find any way to fully encrypt my machine under Mint. (There probably is a way involving...
If you need plausible deniability, then you have to go the route of encrypting the whole space needed by the OS
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/LUKS_Encrypted_Root
https://www.privacy-cd.org/en/features- ... encryption
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison ... n_software

For the usual case, where you want to keep only your data safe (encrypted) full hard drive encryption is not necessary, and you would only need to be concerned with encryption of
  • /home (where most of your data will be)
    /tmp
    swap location, you can check that via cat /etc/fstab , in the Terminal
    --if it is even being used by the normal operations on your system)
Other options you have is to mount tmp (tmpfs) onto a RAMdisk, which is deleted whenever the system is rebooted..

Problems..
Your hard drive must show the same activity levels for the encrypted drive vs the open (unencrypted) drive
--or you can't deny it is there..
Performance issues..
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=65372
--post # 3 ., post # 25 (why it wouldn't help).., one reason it is not worth it in the normal case..
frijsdijk

Post by frijsdijk »

For me the topic says it all. I haven't found an OS that matches Mint, but I'm missing the full disk encryption. It's a pitty since it's in the alternate installer of Ubuntu. Perhaps a howto how to 'convert' an Ubuntu install to a Mint install?

I know about truecrypt and all, but I still want the full disk encryption. Please Mint!
markfiend

Post by markfiend »

remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

frijsdijk wrote:still want the full disk encryption
How to here http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=18743
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
BrianD

Post by BrianD »

markfiend wrote:Image
http://xkcd.com/538/
hahaha!! this is my second-favorite xkcd strip, right after "/Everybody Stand Back/ I know regular expressions"
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

markfiend wrote:http://xkcd.com/538/
Markfiend is correct.

If anyone has data that is valuable to someone else, they can get to it more directly by simply "asking with menaces"
  • We have all your bank and credit cards, give us your pin numbers, and you are coming with us to the ATM
    No
  • Are you sure
    NO
  • OK, lets go
    Oh, OK then, I will...
Admittedly most notebook thefts are crimes of opportunity, so whether or not the data is valuable is usually irrelevant to the thief
  • They simply sell it off as fast as they can, either the whole machine or pull the hard drive and replace it (with the hard drives they have already stolen and dump the notebook's original hard drive
    --so no evidence, not even the low-jack feature that some people use for theft tracking
The new user "receiver of stolen goods" simply deletes the hard drive, reformats and replaces the OS or can do the same, and simply replace the hard drive, as they are fairly cheap, and they may be able to get a better product such as 7200rpm vs 5400rpm hard drive.

Unless the thief is curious, then whether or not the hard drive is encrypted really matter not one whit to them.
  • Whether it is the whole drive or just part of it..
frijsdijk

Post by frijsdijk »

I don't get the point of these reasons not to encrypt a harddrive.

- Social Engineering? there might never be an opportunity (I could forget it somewhere, it could be a drive-by, or part of a larger robbery)
- Thief dumps HDD? Perhaps. If there IS valueable data on the HDD, would you want to take the risc? Thing big! Think professional. It might not be your own data, but data that you are responsible for.

It's a no brainer. Anyone else thinks otherwise is being ignorant.
tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca »

frijsdijk wrote:I don't get the point of these reasons not to encrypt a harddrive.

- Social Engineering? there might never be an opportunity (I could forget it somewhere, it could be a drive-by, or part of a larger robbery)
- Thief dumps HDD? Perhaps. If there IS valueable data on the HDD, would you want to take the risc? Thing big! Think professional. It might not be your own data, but data that you are responsible for.

Hi there,

from your post I must ask the question "where on earth do you live", when you can talk about drive-by or larger robbery??
Your last line "Anyone else thinks otherwise is being ignorant" sounds as if anybody who thinks differently to you is ignorant, not just has a different opinion. The statement sounds not ignorant but arrogant.

Best regards Keith
frijsdijk

Post by frijsdijk »

tinca wrote:
frijsdijk wrote:I don't get the point of these reasons not to encrypt a hard drive.

- Thief dumps HDD? Perhaps. If there IS valueable data on the HDD, would you want to take the risk? Thing big! Think professional. It might not be your own data, but data that you are responsible for.

from your post I must ask the question "where on earth do you live", when you can talk about drive-by or larger robbery??
Your last line "Anyone else thinks otherwise is being ignorant" sounds as if anybody who thinks differently to you is ignorant, not just has a different opinion. The statement sounds not ignorant but arrogant.
Hi Keith,

Don't mean to be arrogant. Don't take me on the literal words, English is not my native language. The point is full disk encryption, and reasons why it should not be ignored as a feature to have in Mint.

Specially Mint is installed on loads of laptops. In home environments (those probably do not care), but in professional environments (my case) too. My laptop might contain data that should never ever come into some random guy's hands.

It could be my holiday snaps, but it could be a database dump containing sensitive data. It could be anything. I don't want to have to care.

The robbery is just an example of ways to loose your laptop, a situation where it isn't likely the guy robbing you is going to ask you for your pass phrase (the example of BrianD).

Is this more clear perhaps?
tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca »

frijsdijk ,

sorry for jumping on you.

Best regards Keith
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Hmmmm,
you guys sure must live in some dangerous place :(

I can't think of any reason to encrypt my /data partition :)

even when it has my finances / photos / assignments stored on it.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
theonlyrealperson
Level 1
Level 1

Post by theonlyrealperson »

I'm a lawyer, and I can think of 100 reasons to encrypt the data partition on my laptop. :)

I've got sensitive client data that is sometimes on my laptop, when I need to travel. It adds a layer of security for those "property crimes" that may want a poke around the harddrive before they sell it for drug money.
frijsdijk

Post by frijsdijk »

Well yeah. I work for a security company. Should have said that before perhaps?
markfiend

Post by markfiend »

I guess it does make a difference. :mrgreen:
willi

Post by willi »

just wanted to say that I also really would like to have the possibility to fully encrypt. Ubuntu's alternate was my choice before. Unluckyly I did not find anything comparably simple in mint. Two of my friends also switched to mint and lacked this encryption they used in ubuntu. :(

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”