An Ode to Helena KDE

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cavgirl
Level 1
Level 1

An Ode to Helena KDE

Post by cavgirl »

Well, not really. I'm not feeling particularly poetic right now.

Seriously, though, I've been trying out Helena KDE on a VM and have been incredibly impressed. Apart from a short period of using KDE back when I started experimenting with linux some five years ago, I've tended to leave KDE severely alone, mainly because Konqueror seemed to crash with an XP-like regularity and I got tired of it. I used Gnome/XFCE instead.

However, now my Windows 7 RC is running out on my monster lappy and I needed something to replace it, so decided to test Helen KDE thoroughly to see if I could live with it - I was especially attracted by the promise of full desktop-search AND full tagging of files since I've been wanting to do that for ages, even on Windows. Plus. I don't particularly like having the 'system files' shoved in my face every time I open my file manager. If I want to go to /, I can do it myself; I don't want to see 'File System' fixed in stone on my supposedly editable shortcuts/places pane as per Nautilus/Thunar. Dolphin allowed me to show or hide what I want to see, and I'm in love. More importantly, the thing ran rock-solid stable for the whole ten hours plus I played with it. That's not very long, granted, but when I tried Kubuntu I had the old crashy-KDE problems. So I'm very happy and excited about installing this on my computer at some point in the next couple of days! No doubt 'hard' installation will spawn issues that haven't yet revealed themselves, but I'm confident those can be resolved. I wanted to know I could live with the interface and do what I wanted to it - which I can.

Some small issues did come up, but note that I removed a LOT of KDE stuff. Eg, I got rid of most of the KDE apps (any random app that wasn't essential and started with the letter 'K' - I hate that naming convention, it's so silly) including konqueror, so my problems may have come from this. On the other hand, maybe not since, as I said, I ran the VM for hours and hours doing intensive stuff - even video editing! - and it was completely stable. The only crashes were VM related and I don't expect those on a real install. Anyway, I'm rambling. Are there fixes for:

-kdesudo spawns an error message at boot, but runs fine thereafter - but when I check 'Autostart' there's only one item and that can't be right! [NB My stripping also removed the KDE-mint thing so I may have lost the menu links to Mint apps that control startup. I think the apps are still there - was able to invoke MintInstall et al via CLI]

-the 'Get more...' doesn't seem to get very much. There's pages and pages of stuff at KDE-look, but this doesn't seem to be reflected in the dialogue boxes and the search box at the top right corner doesn't seem to search!

-Nepomuk/Strigi works perfectly for finding files, but the 'tagging' doesn't seem to work. I can add tags ok, but not search by tag.

-With nautilus it was possible to 'sudo nautilus' as a quick way of accessing files as root. 'sudo dolphin' doesn't seem to work at all. I can use the command line for this, but I'm a gui person at heart.

Anyway, in a nutshell: thanks for such a lovely system and I hope it will negate the need for a second Windows 7 license, ever! :lol:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: An Ode to Helena KDE

Post by exploder »

-kdesudo spawns an error message at boot, but runs fine thereafter - but when I check 'Autostart' there's only one item and that can't be right! [NB My stripping also removed the KDE-mint thing so I may have lost the menu links to Mint apps that control startup. I think the apps are still there - was able to invoke MintInstall et al via CLI]
I have seen this myself. It is from something you added or removed, sorry I can not remember what it was...
-the 'Get more...' doesn't seem to get very much. There's pages and pages of stuff at KDE-look, but this doesn't seem to be reflected in the dialogue boxes and the search box at the top right corner doesn't seem to search!
I think this one is a KDE bug. I have updated to KDE 4.4 and am using the default theme for the most part and have not tried this yet.
-Nepomuk/Strigi works perfectly for finding files, but the 'tagging' doesn't seem to work. I can add tags ok, but not search by tag.
This may be fixed with the KDE 4,4 updates.
-With nautilus it was possible to 'sudo nautilus' as a quick way of accessing files as root. 'sudo dolphin' doesn't seem to work at all. I can use the command line for this, but I'm a gui person at heart.
You can do this from the service menu by using "open as root" or you can use kdesudo dolphin.

You might try enabling the ppa repos while you are running in Virtualbox and try out the KDE 4.4 updates and see if that fixes a couple of the issues you are seeing. Some people are having problems with 4.4, that is why I suggest you try it in Virtualbox first. KDE 4.4 is running great on my main machine and I think it is a little quicker than 4.3.4. I had to turn on Nepomuk and Strigi from system settings but that was pretty minor. Also, there is a manual fix for User Management here that is still needed if you are running 32 bit.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.p ... =3110047.0

The answer to the kdesudo issue is in that thread too.
cavgirl
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cavgirl »

exploder wrote:Also, there is a manual fix for User Management here that is still needed if you are running 32 bit.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.p ... =3110047.0

The answer to the kdesudo issue is in that thread too.
Thanks - could this be related to the other problem I'm having that I forgot to mention, i.e., inability to logout to a graphical login screen? When I logout I get to a command prompt rather than the graphical kdm I was expecting. As far as I know I did not remove anything that would have affected this.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Thanks - could this be related to the other problem I'm having that I forgot to mention, i.e., inability to logout to a graphical login screen? When I logout I get to a command prompt rather than the graphical kdm I was expecting. As far as I know I did not remove anything that would have affected this.
No, this is a separate issue. Are you running KDE 4.4?
cavgirl
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cavgirl »

I solved it by reinstalling and checking the option to login every time. KDM is working perfectly. Actually, everything is working apart from the usual Vaio-related annoyances such as Fn keys not working for brightness. I got round that by keeping the nVidia console permanently open, since closing it seems to reset brightness levels and this laptop gets very bright!

Return to “Software & Applications”