Monthly News – May 2024

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Monthly News – May 2024

Post by clem »

pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Monthly News – May 2024

Post by pdc_2 »

thanks very much; Ubuntu released 24.04; that is an LTS? I am not hearing excited chat about a forthcoming Mint 22
cornelisw
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cornelisw »

Yes, it is an LTS release and yes I am also very curious about Mint 22!
gflash
Level 3
Level 3

Post by gflash »

Will the new Software Manager also be available in Mint 21?
inxi -Fxxxpmrz
J-103
Level 1
Level 1

Post by J-103 »

I get the feeling that the developers misunderstood what the flatpak verification does because it doesn't really mean that one app is safer than other. If they really want users to be safe then all flatpaks should be blocked by default which is also not a great idea. This update to the software manager looks like an overreaction to the xz vulnerability, which also had nothing to do with this because the issue was with the source of the package itself and no verification process would have prevented it.

What this change can achieve in the long run is that people get used to ignore security warnings because everyone is going just ignore this and install the apps they need from flathub. Which by the way even if they are unverified many of these apps go through some degree of moderation anyway. The ones that might skip any moderation are ironically the ones being published by the original developer and appear as verified. Something needs to be done about the security of flatpak apps but this isn't the right decision.

Also, not having reviews for unverified apps seems like a huge mistake because if there's something wrong with a flatpak the reviews can be the first sign of warning, and not having reviews for unverified apps mean you're leaving everyone blind to any potential danger.
cornelisw
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cornelisw »

Flatpak will always be controversial, if you don't like it then stay away from it, there are other options.

The creators of Linux Mint are doing their best to give us the best operating system in the world and right now I am waiting in expectation for Mint 22 Beta to drop!
J-103
Level 1
Level 1

Post by J-103 »

cornelisw wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 5:30 am Flatpak will always be controversial, if you don't like it then stay away from it, there are other options.

The creators of Linux Mint are doing their best to give us the best operating system in the world and right now I am waiting in expectation for Mint 22 Beta to drop!
Ok, that has nothing to do with what I said. What I said is that they're making a worse user experience by blocking unverified apps and getting no real advantage from it. It can hurt Mint in the long run and it's a waste of time and resources that could have been used to do something that's actually useful like creating a GUI tool to edit flatpak permissions like the one in Plasma, instead of having to download flatseal, a libadwaita application. This would actually be of help for people to make flatpak more secure.

I'm sure they're doing their best, but if they're focusing on the wrong thing because they misunderstand how something like flatpak verification works then their best isn't enough and they can't do a better job if people only agrees blindly with everything they do. I want Mint to be better and I think this change is only going to make it worse. I hope they're ready for the amount of bug reports they're going to get from people telling them that flatpak support is broken when their favorite apps disappear in Mint 22, because most people and especially new users will never read this blog post. Fedora already went through this and they had to admit defeat and let people access Flathub freely. We can all learn something if we take a look outside our own bubble.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

J-103 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 7:18 amWhat I said is that they're making a worse user experience by blocking unverified apps and getting no real advantage from it. It can hurt Mint in the long run and it's a waste of time and resources that could have been used to do something that's actually useful like creating a GUI tool to edit flatpak permissions like the one in Plasma, instead of having to download flatseal, a libadwaita application. This would actually be of help for people to make flatpak more secure.
If you want to get the attention of the developers with your opinion of how they are doing it all wrong, you should be posting where they will see it. This is a user forum where users help other users.

Your options to get developer attention are to post a comment on the blog (I just checked and don't see that you did that) or create a new topic in Linux Mint Discussions outlining why you think your view is better.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
cornelisw
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cornelisw »

SMG wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 9:40 am
J-103 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 7:18 amWhat I said is that they're making a worse user experience by blocking unverified apps and getting no real advantage from it. It can hurt Mint in the long run and it's a waste of time and resources that could have been used to do something that's actually useful like creating a GUI tool to edit flatpak permissions like the one in Plasma, instead of having to download flatseal, a libadwaita application. This would actually be of help for people to make flatpak more secure.
If you want to get the attention of the developers with your opinion of how they are doing it all wrong, you should be posting where they will see it. This is a user forum where users help other users.

Your options to get developer attention are to post a comment on the blog (I just checked and don't see that you did that) or create a new topic in Linux Mint Discussions outlining why you think your view is better.

Thank you for all your hard work in making Linux Mint such a great operating system
RamBurner
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RamBurner »

I am on Mint 21.3 now instead of LMDE 6. 21.3 as well as 22.04 has audio problems that show my Soundblaster card just fine but won't let the 5.1 surround work, only stereo. LMDE 6 is fine, but not 21.3 and it's base 22.04 are both having problems with my card. The new version 22 would be based on 24.04, the sound is fine just like it should be on that because I tested it, so I'm really wanting a Mint 22 release.
J-103
Level 1
Level 1

Post by J-103 »

SMG wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 9:40 am Your options to get developer attention are to post a comment on the blog (I just checked and don't see that you did that) or create a new topic in Linux Mint Discussions outlining why you think your view is better.
You don't see any comment because with the exception of a message I wrote a very long time ago none of my comments show up, and considering the weird comments I see showing up every month I would find it really weird if they're being filtered manually for some reason. And that's why I'm here, but now you're telling me that the forum is a waste of time for everyone here so I guess there's no point in trying anymore.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

The forum is not a waste of time for everyone here, it's a place where users do their best to help other users, and that seems to work pretty well.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Yup. The forum is for mutual help, not for communicating with the developers.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

J-103 wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 2:18 am You don't see any comment because with the exception of a message I wrote a very long time ago none of my comments show up, and considering the weird comments I see showing up every month I would find it really weird if they're being filtered manually for some reason. And that's why I'm here, but now you're telling me that the forum is a waste of time for everyone here so I guess there's no point in trying anymore.
No, I did not tell you that. I explained the forum is a place for users to help others users and it is not a way to contact developers.

I, as a forum user, then gave you, another forum user, the ways to contact the developers. If blog responses are not showing up for you (I don't control that and cannot provide help with that), then try the other option I provided.

This topic is in the Releases & Announcements forum. It's a way to let forum users know there is a new blog post available. It's not a personal communication venue with the author of the blog.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”