[Tutorial] Installing 21.3 on Asus T100TA step by step

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
MrMinty
Level 1
Level 1

[Tutorial] Installing 21.3 on Asus T100TA step by step

Post by MrMinty »

My good old T100TA was running Mint 20 and after many trials and searches I finally managed to get 21.3 installed on it.
Here are my steps and hopefully they are of some use to the fellows here.

Step 1: Download the 21.2 ISO image from here
[Note: I have no luck creating a live USB for 21.3. Rufus 4.4 doesn't seem to get along with the 21.3 ISO. Etcher creates a bootable USB, but the file system is isofs and is not writable. So a workaround is to use Rufus to create a USB for 21.2 first, and then upgrade to 21.3 later on.]

Step 2: Download Rufus.

Step 3: Use Rufus to burn the 21.2 ISO image to the USB key. (For partition table choose "GPT" and filesystem "FAT32" works just fine)

Step 4: Copy the bootia32.efi to /EFI/boot on the USB.

Step 5: Boot up the T100TA by pressing the power button and then immediately pressing the F2 key. The Setup Utility should show up.

Step 6: Navigate to "Save & Exit" (the last menu). In the list of boot devices, choose the live USB. The grub menu will appear. Choose the first option to launch the live USB system.

Step 7: Once inside the Cinnamon desktop, right click the disc icon of the installer, then choose "Open". The installation program will start running.

Step 8: Follow the instructions one by one. It is better to set up wifi connection at this point to save troubles later on.

Step 9: The installation process should take around 20 minutes or so. Once done, DO NOT reboot the system yet! Instead, choose "Continue testing" in the dialog window.

Step 10: Set up a chroot environment to fix the bootloader inside the newly installed system. (IMPORTANT!)
10a. First, start a terminal session as superuser

Code: Select all

sudo -s
10b. Find out the EFI partition right above the "/target" partition by running

lsblk -f
(For example, mine is mmcblk1p1 in vfat format; yours may be mmcblk2p1 instead)

10c. Mount the EFI System Partition on the new system:

mount /dev/mmcblk1p1 /target/boot/efi
10d. Also mount several other filesystems:

for dir in /dev /dev/pts /proc /run /sys;
do mount --bind "$dir" /target/"$dir";
done
10e.Get into the newly installed system:

chroot /target /bin/bash
10f. Fix the bootloader (important!)

apt update
apt install grub-efi-ia32-bin 
[Step 10 is based on https://github.com/5bentz/linux-asus-t1 ... A_guide.md, specifically "7. Bootloader Installation". However, the "Enable WiFi" step described there is not necessary as long as you get wifi set up when running the installer. Actually, the instructions there do not work for me anymore. Plus the "Install the Bootloader" step seems to be outdated. The "grub-efi-ia32" package mentioned therein seems already defunct.]

Step 11: Set up the bootloader properly by following this post
Specifically, do this:

efibootmgr -c -d /dev/mmcblk1 -p 1 -l  '\EFI\ubuntu\bootia32.efi'
[Note: Make sure you get the correct device name by running "lsblk -f" (mine is mmcblk1. It may also be mmcblk2). Also make sure the file "bootia32.efi" is found in "/boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu".]
[Note: If you skip this step, your T100 may end up being in an infinite booting loop, unless you get into the Setup Utility and manually do "Save Changes and Exit" every time to boot up.]

Step 12: Exit the chroot environment, unmount, and finally reboot:

exit
umount /target/boot/efi
sudo reboot
Step 13: Now you should have 21.2 properly set up. It's time to upgrade to 21.3. Open "Update Manager". A message will immediately show up telling you to upgrade the system to 21.3. Just follow the instructions there. And that's it!

The above are just the installation steps. I have yet to fully test out what works and what doesn't. I'm glad to find the up/down buttons on the left of the screen working (not under Mint 20). Feel free to point out any errors. May post further updates here.
Last edited by SMG on Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved from Installation & Boot to Tutorials because this is not a request for help. It is step-by-step instructions.
t-rhex
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [Tutorial] Installing 21.3 on Asus T100TA step by step

Post by t-rhex »

Thank you for this! It didn't quite work for me, but I tried starting directly with 21.3; by the end, though, my system would only boot to grub. I tried both MATE and Xfce with similar results. Then I started over by deleting all partitions on the T100TA (to make sure it was starting fresh), then installing Xfce using this tutorial alongside a few other links, and had the following observations:

Steps 1-3. I used Etcher to burn the 21.3 ISO to a usb stick.

Step 4. I did not have to copy bootia32.efi to the stick; it's now part of the ISO and I was able to boot my T100TA directly from the unmodified usb stick created by Etcher.

Step 7. I made sure to install from a terminal by using "ubiquity -b" (not in the tutorial but mentioned in the original source) to completely avoid installing the wrong EFI boot manager.

Step 10c. This threw me; MATE did not have "/target" mounted to any partition, which I didn't really comprehend until I tried Xfce. I'm guessing for MATE one would have to "mount /dev/mmcblk2p2 /target".

Step 10d. I had to remove the '/' from the list of directories, otherwise it would create a path with "//":

for dir in dev dev/pts proc run sys;
do mount --bind /"$dir" /target/"$dir";
done
Step 10f. I think a couple of steps are missing. Looking at the source link https://github.com/5bentz/linux-asus-t1 ... A_guide.md and another post here viewtopic.php?p=2304376#p2304376, here is what I did (my storage device is mmcblk2):

apt update
apt install grub-efi-ia32-bin  
grub-install -v --target=i386-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi /dev/mmcblk2
update-grub
Step 11. I did not do and it did boot (which surprised me!) after shutting down and removing the usb stick. However, running "efibootmgr" it complained there were no boot entries until I executed the code as you had written. Strangely, though now the T100TA lists "Linux" in the UEFI boot options, I cannot boot from there (it just returns me to the UEFI setup) -- but if I turn the tablet on, it will boot to Mint. So, it's not perfect and perhaps another step is missing, but I now have a working T100TA with Mint 21.3 Xfce.
t-rhex
Level 1
Level 1

Post by t-rhex »

Follow-up: it's been a week and everything has been working very well. Win10 is gone, and it won't be back on this T100TA. I've seen comments online that 2GB is too little RAM to run linux (even Mint) very well, but I have to say whomever says that has not tried it; it works so much better than Win10 did!

After the tutorial above (with my noted changes) I only found three things that didn't work: audio, suspend, and touchpad taps. Here's what I did to fix:

1. While streaming video in Firefox, the audio kept stuttering and then screeching.
I followed SMG's instructions for "BEEP" found here: viewtopic.php?p=2282933#beep
and from rene, section 2. "Permanently" add a kernel parameter of viewtopic.php?f=42&t=349669
to add the snd_sof.sof_debug=1 kernel parameter to /etc/default/grub

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="snd_sof.sof_debug=1 quiet splash"
(don't forget to run sudo update-grub and reboot)

2. When putting the tablet to sleep, it would just wake up immediately.
(This happened whether using the button, <FN-F1>, or the power menu.) This was due to the ambient light sensor. I'm not using the sensor to control screen brightness so I just disabled the module.

From many troubleshooting recommendations, journalctl -xb |grep S3 showed nothing, and cat /proc/acpi/wakeup showed nothing other than the header line, so neither were useful in this case.

But, as suggested by SMG in this link: viewtopic.php?p=2450518#p2450518
...I used dmesg -T | tail -n 100 immediately after a suspend/wake to see that cm32181 was interrupting the suspend operation.

[Mon Apr 15 23:05:29 2024] PM: dpm_run_callback(): acpi_subsys_suspend+0x0/0x60 returns -121
[Mon Apr 15 23:05:29 2024] cm32181 i2c-CPLM3218:00: PM: failed to suspend: error -121
[Mon Apr 15 23:05:29 2024] PM: Some devices failed to suspend, or early wake event detected
Then I found this, suggesting to use rmmod (or modprobe -d) to remove the module: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2152281
So, to prevent module cm32181 from loading at boot time, I followed https://linuxize.com/post/rmmod-command ... -boot-time
Adding the kernel parameter to /etc/default/grub didn't seem to work for me.
...so I created a file named cm32181.conf in /etc/modprobe.d with the following contents:

blacklist cm32181
Unfortunately the only way it will wake up is either by pressing the button or lifting the lid; it won't wake up by keypress.

3. The touchpad wasn't responding to touch, though the mouse was moveable.
This was simple. In Settings/Mouse and Touchpad (Xfce) I had to enable "Tap touchpad to click".

And that was it for tweaks!
I can't comment on the touchscreen, as my screen is cracked and hasn't been working for a long time. But, overall I'm super pleased as I have a 9-year-old tablet working with all the functionality I need, without the bloat of Win10.

So, a huge THANK YOU to many people, especially MrMinty (for nicely summarizing all the various sources), SMG, rene, and other members of the linux & Mint communities for sharing their wisdom and experience!
Last edited by t-rhex on Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MrMinty
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MrMinty »

Thanks for the additional tips!
Bluetooth remains flaky in my setup. The machine fails to pair up or connect with most devices (speakers, keyboards, etc.). Any workaround?
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

t-rhex wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:12 am it won't wake up by keypress
This is likely an advantage as it probably means the keyboard controller isn't being kept powered in sleep mode, like it does on one of my machines (or two? I'm sure the Acer did that with LM17.3 Cinnamon, but doesn't now with LM21.3 Xfce) where any key-press wakes it. You may notice a reduction in battery drain in sleep mode as a result.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
t-rhex
Level 1
Level 1

Post by t-rhex »

MrMinty wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:21 am Thanks for the additional tips!
Bluetooth remains flaky in my setup. The machine fails to pair up or connect with most devices (speakers, keyboards, etc.). Any workaround?
You're welcome, and thank you! With many apologies, I forgot to include you in my thanks, as your post was a huge start in compiling all the different sources. (fixed)

As for Bluetooth, I don't need it so I disabled it.
BG405 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:50 amThis is likely an advantage as it probably means the keyboard controller isn't being kept powered in sleep mode, like it does on one of my machines (or two? I'm sure the Acer did that with LM17.3 Cinnamon, but doesn't now with LM21.3 Xfce) where any key-press wakes it. You may notice a reduction in battery drain in sleep mode as a result.
Good point. It actually doesn't bother me, as it also means I'm less likely to accidentally wake it up.
MrMinty
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MrMinty »

t-rhex wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:12 am 1. While streaming video in Firefox, the audio kept stuttering and then screeching.
I followed SMG's instructions for "BEEP" found here: viewtopic.php?p=2282933#beep
and from rene, section 2. "Permanently" add a kernel parameter of viewtopic.php?f=42&t=349669
to add the snd_sof.sof_debug=1 kernel parameter to /etc/default/grub

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="snd_sof.sof_debug=1 quiet splash"
(don't forget to run sudo update-grub and reboot)
Strangely after I applied this fix on my 21.3 Cinnanmon setup and rebooted, there was no more sound. I was trying to reinstall the driver but it seems to happen in the non-free-firmware repo and I have yet to find the way to include that in the sourcelist.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

MrMinty wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:36 amStrangely after I applied this fix on my 21.3 Cinnanmon setup and rebooted, there was no more sound.
All that parameter does is add debug messages. For some reason, there is a side effect that the system runs on the SOF drivers is should be running on .
MrMinty wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:36 amI was trying to reinstall the driver...
What driver? The sound drivers are in the kernel and do not need installed separately from any repo.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
MrMinty
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MrMinty »

Strange, Running inxi -RAxz still shows
Audio:
Device-1: Intel HDMI/DP LPE Audio driver: HdmiLpeAudio
Device-2: sof-bytcht rt5640 driver: SOF message: bus/chip ids unavailable
Sound Server-1: ALSA v: k5.15.0-102-generic running: yes
Sound Server-2: PulseAudio v: 15.99.1 running: no
Sound Server-3: PipeWire v: 0.3.48 running: yes
So the hardware is detected. But running alsamixer says "This sound device does not have any control". Running pavucontrol fails to connect to any sound device. The Cinnamon sound setting shows the device is muted (volume all the way down and not able to tune up).
Last edited by MrMinty on Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

MrMinty wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:49 pm Strange, Running inxi -RAxz still shows

Audio:
  Sound Server-2: PulseAudio v: 15.99.1 running: no
So the hardware is detected. But running alsamixer says "This sound device does not have any control". Running pavucontrol fails to connect to any sound device. The Cinnamon sound setting shows the device is muted (volume all the way down and not able to tune up).
Why is PulseAudio not running? It's supposed to be running. What did you do?
MrMinty
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MrMinty »

After using the fix in Mesaan's post in viewtopic.php?t=277959, sound and sound control is back. Perhaps a kernel (upgrade) issue?
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

MrMinty wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:09 pm After using the fix in Mesaan's post in viewtopic.php?t=277959, sound and sound control is back.
That code indicates, "This means that installing this custom patched kernel will no longer be required if you already use kernel 5.3 or newer!"

Did you take a Timeshift snapshot before installing that?
MrMinty wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:09 pmPerhaps a kernel (upgrade) issue?
What kernel is your system now using? The 5.15 kernel is the oldest one should be using with Linux Mint 21 versions. That post you used is six years old so that has to be a much older kernel.
MrMinty
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MrMinty »

SMG wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:16 pm
MrMinty wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:09 pm After using the fix in Mesaan's post in viewtopic.php?t=277959, sound and sound control is back.
That code indicates, "This means that installing this custom patched kernel will no longer be required if you already use kernel 5.3 or newer!"

Did you take a Timeshift snapshot before installing that?
MrMinty wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:09 pmPerhaps a kernel (upgrade) issue?
What kernel is your system now using? The 5.15 kernel is the oldest one should be using with Linux Mint 21 versions. That post you used is six years old so that has to be a much older kernel.

cat /proc/version
Linux version 5.15.0-102-generic (buildd@lcy02-amd64-080) (gcc (Ubuntu 11.4.0-1ubuntu1~22.04) 11.4.0, GNU ld (GNU Binutils for Ubuntu) 2.38) #112-Ubuntu SMP Tue Mar 5 16:50:32 UTC 2024
I know that was a very old thread, but running that script fixed the sound issue somehow.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

MrMinty wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:49 pmI know that was a very old thread, but running that script fixed the sound issue somehow.
Good to see it did not change the kernel. The script likely turned on pulseaudio. I have no idea what you may have done for pulseaudio to not be running, but hopefully, it will automatically start like it should the next time you boot the computer.
MrMinty
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MrMinty »

I didn't recall doing anything with the audio apart from attempting to applying the fix for the "beep" issue. The whole sound control functionality and pulse audio mysteriously disappeared after adding the kernel paramter and rebooting.

This time I appended the debug option to the end of the /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf file instead, as per your suggestion in viewtopic.php?p=2282933#beep . No issue now.
t-rhex
Level 1
Level 1

Post by t-rhex »

Odd that that happened.

Curiously, inxi -RAxz for me shows everything the same except for PulseAudio running.

Audio:
  Sound Server-2: PulseAudio v: 15.99.1 running: yes
And alsamixer also says for me "This sound device does not have any control."

It looks like I'm on the same kernel? (though I'm new, so may not be looking in the right place, just comparing to yours)

cat /proc/version
Linux version 5.15.0-102-generic (buildd@lcy02-amd64-080) (gcc (Ubuntu 11.4.0-1ubuntu1~22.04) 11.4.0, GNU ld (GNU Binutils for Ubuntu) 2.38) #112-Ubuntu SMP Tue Mar 5 16:50:32 UTC 2024
So not sure why our systems would behave differently. I am on Xfce, not Cinnamon, but I wouldn't think that would make a difference to the kernel parameter handling. But, glad you got it resolved.

On another note, my boot handler obviously still isn't set up right as I'm no longer able to boot from a CD that worked before my upgrade to Mint. *sigh*
samontab
Level 1
Level 1

Post by samontab »

By following MrMinty's guide(and t-rhex's comments) I was able to install Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon on my Asus T100TA, and it is now working flawlessly. Thanks!. I did notice a few extra things that I wanted to share here in case someone else faces the same issues as I did.

SD Card boot issue

The first thing I noticed is that even though it is possible to install the system on the external SD Card, the Asus T100TA doesn't seem to be able to boot from it. It just hangs with a black screen and flashing camera LED. So, you will need to install the OS on the internal disk to be able to boot.

Invalid boot entries
t-rhex wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:34 pm Step 11. I did not do and it did boot (which surprised me!) after shutting down and removing the usb stick. However, running "efibootmgr" it complained there were no boot entries until I executed the code as you had written. Strangely, though now the T100TA lists "Linux" in the UEFI boot options, I cannot boot from there (it just returns me to the UEFI setup) -- but if I turn the tablet on, it will boot to Mint. So, it's not perfect and perhaps another step is missing, but I now have a working T100TA with Mint 21.3 Xfce.
For step 11, I had to change the filename as it was different on my setup. There was no bootia32.efi file, but there was a grubia32.efi file instead. I also wanted to give it a different name, so I changed the command to this (make sure to check if mmcblk1 is correct for you as the guide explains):

efibootmgr -c -d /dev/mmcblk1 -p 1 -l '\EFI\ubuntu\grubia32.efi' -L "Linux Mint"
It was useful to run efibootmgr -h as it explains all the options, including how to remove other entries, set the boot order, etc. If you run this:

efibootmgr -v
There should be an entry with 'EFI\ubuntu\grubia32.efi', which corresponds to the file /boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu/grubia32.efi. That is the valid entry that you should use to boot. Any entry that points to a file that doesn't exist, or a 64-bit file, will lead the system to not be able to boot from it. You might want to remove those with this command:

efibootmgr -b xxxx -B
The xxxx stands for the number of the entry, which are listed as Boot0000, Boot0001, and so on. So, for example, if you want to delete Boot0012, then you can run:

efibootmgr -b 0012 -B
Be careful removing entries, as you might end up with a non bootable system. It might be a good idea to first backup the system with Timeshift before proceeding if you already have a working system.

With these commands I now have a single entry on the BIOS that says Linux Mint and it boots perfectly.

Final tweaks

Only the first two changes detailed by t-rhex were needed in Cinammon, i.e. BEEP and suspend issues.

The ambient light sensor is one of the two things known to not work correctly in Linux. The other one being the camera. I simply disabled the ambient light module as suggested, but if anyone wants to have a look at having it available, here is a driver for Linux. The camera doesn't work because of an unsupported BIOS setting, but it seems to be possible to make it work. Here is a link with more detail about it.

Finally, the button below the volume keys is not tied to any action by default, and dmesg replies with "Unknown key f4 pressed", but it is working, and you can assign it to any keyboard shortcut, like locking the screen or anything you want. You can also use it to get back from suspend.

Overall, I'm quite happy with this setup. Thanks again for the great guide!

Return to “Tutorials”