How to restore previous Firefox session?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ironikpanda
Level 1
Level 1

How to restore previous Firefox session?

Post by ironikpanda »

I'm using Mint Faye LMDE with the preinstalled Firefox from the software manager. I tried searching for this issue and found similar ones, but nothing that seemed to help in this situation.

I just set up my system to dual boot Windows and Mint on separate drives. I (unfortunately) have tons of tabs I've been saving on Windows for far too long and I wanted to transfer them over to Mint so that when I open Firefox they would all be there, and I can keep going through them and getting rid of the ones I don't need. I've restored previous sessions using the "previous.jsonlz4" file in Windows before. I figured I could put that onto a flash drive from Windows and just replace that file on my Mint drive.

So switch over to Mint, I closed out of Firefox, found my "sessionstore-backups" folder and tried replacing the "previous.jsonlz4" file with the one I copied from Windows. Then I opened Firefox, and it restored the previous session I had open before replacing the file, not the one I had from Windows. I also notice that if I refresh the file explorer window, the "previous.jsonlz4" file is now much smaller in size and has reverted back to the old one.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? Seems like some sort of caching issue or must be pulling the file from somewhere else?
May_be_a_lizard
Level 1
Level 1

Re: How to restore previous Firefox session?

Post by May_be_a_lizard »

I don't think this answers your question, but you might be able to save a session for later with "sync & save" data, but I think you will need an account with FireFox and might not be able to do this with private browsing sessions.

If you already have a Firefox account, this might help.
I don't normally use Firefox, hopefully another user will have a better solution.
nullpotato
Level 1
Level 1

Re: How to restore previous Firefox session?

Post by nullpotato »

I don't have a solution, but if you'd settle for a workaround, I use an extension called OneTab which has a feature that lets you export your list of tabs as a url. Here's the website: https://www.one-tab.com/ Ctrl+F "More Features" for the section on importing and exporting tabs.

Return to “Software & Applications”