How long have you been using Linux ?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

How many Years ?

Poll ended at Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:38 pm

Less than One Year
No votes
Between One to Three Years
3%
Between Three to Five Years
9%
Between Five to Ten Years
26%
Between Ten to Fifteen Years
18%
Over Fifteen Years
38%
Forever
6%

Total votes: 34

cptlord
Level 1
Level 1

Re: How long have you been using Linux ?

Post by cptlord »

Hmmmm... I have been using Linux Mint V21.3 since 120 something hours ago! :D
Machine: Lenovo X1 Carbon 5th Gen
CPU: dual core Intel Core i7-7600U
Kernel: 5.15.0-105-generic x86_64
RAM: 16 GB

List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lots of long term users here. How many of us have distro hopped like mad though?
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

MurphCID wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 9:56 am Lots of long term users here. How many of us have distro hopped like mad though?
I didn't. I did look at Ubuntu briefly and didn't like it. I tried Mint and fell in love. I'm a firm believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!" and since it "aint broke", why would I want to "fix" it (distro hop)?
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Neither did I. I found something that worked for me, I stuck with it.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Moem wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 10:32 am Neither did I. I found something that worked for me, I stuck with it.
It seems like it's men who do the most distro hopping. If so, I can't help but wonder if it's related to the channel surfing so many men have a penchant for?

Then again, maybe not.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

I'm sure I've mentioned this on here before, but I switched (overnight) in February 2016, shortly before joining this Forum.

The main reason I switched right then is this happened to me

… and I couldn't be bothered to fix Windows 7 again this time. :roll: :mrgreen:
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

I can't help but wonder if it's related to the channel surfing so many men have a penchant for?
Our theater remote is green camo--that should be revealing.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Telin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Telin »

How long have i been using Linux... depends how you look at it.
On and off in a VM, for about 6 years or so.
On bare metal as my daily driver, 5 weeks or so :D

I choose Linux Mint because i liked what i saw and it has the reputation to be stable and well put together. Which means the selected parts go together well and form one cohesive distro. At the same time rather big part of the Linux community consider Mint for n00bs and people using it are just beginners and not to be taken seriously until they "remove the training wheels" and move on to a "real" distro.
Personally I don't consider it "training wheels" but more QoL improvements for people that don't have the time or simply do not want to tinker with their system multiple hours a week.

That being said i do have to admit that i experience and tiny itch to hop to Debian 12.
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

Telin wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 3:13 am At the same time rather big part of the Linux community consider Mint for n00bs and people using it are just beginners and not to be taken seriously until they "remove the training wheels" and move on to a "real" distro.
This is why I never listen to users that proclaim LM isnt a real distro. They bore me with their failed logic because LM is as real as it gets for a linux operating system.

As far as Debian goes, It has my whole respect as a great distro and I use it quite a bit. I have always said - If your going to run a server then make it debian. If you want a daily driver then use LM.
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 10:14 am
MurphCID wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 9:56 am Lots of long term users here. How many of us have distro hopped like mad though?
I didn't. I did look at Ubuntu briefly and didn't like it. I tried Mint and fell in love. I'm a firm believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!" and since it "aint broke", why would I want to "fix" it (distro hop)?
I am mostly that way, but I have always loved to tinker, or see what else is out there. But I always come back to Mint in the long run unless forced by circumstances to use something else. But then the "aggravation factor" takes over and I nuke whatever distro it is, and go back to Mint.
Telin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Telin »

coffee412 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 6:38 am
Telin wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 3:13 am At the same time rather big part of the Linux community consider Mint for n00bs and people using it are just beginners and not to be taken seriously until they "remove the training wheels" and move on to a "real" distro.
As far as Debian goes, It has my whole respect as a great distro and I use it quite a bit. I have always said - If your going to run a server then make it debian. If you want a daily driver then use LM.
Agree!
Although somehow i have the feeling that in the future that it is going to be LMDE as regular LM will be too much trouble or maybe even impossible given what is going on with Ubuntu and Gnome.
elalbatross
Level 1
Level 1

Post by elalbatross »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 10:14 am
I started using Linux back in 2015 or so, and Mint was my landing point. I think I ultimately left Mint for a few reasons.

1. I began to notice major upgrades to software weren't making it into the repos (less of an issue now that I use flatpaks)
2. I fell in love with KDE Plasma, and Mint dropped the Plasma edition right when KDE redesigned it (and I really liked how Plasma 5 looked)
3. Dependency heck, and other distro's package managers made me realize how broken apt really is (again, less of an issue with flatpaks)
4. I bought into the notion that Mint was the beginners' distro and even found it boring.

Since then, I've been everywhere from Arch to Fedora to Slackware to Suse. You learn a lot about Linux through distro hopping, you see the cool and exciting things in the Linux world you miss on an LTS distro, but then you realize after a while that all distros are pretty much the same thing under all the bells and whistles. I got to the point where, between customizing Plasma and building my OS with Arch, I spent more time working on my computer than working on my computer.

The updates on the bleeding edge distros (Arch, Fedora) were far more frequent, bigger, and less consequential than I wanted them to be. Slackware operated on its own set of rules, and Suse was just plain weird. I use some software that's lesser known, the "we support Linux but just barely" software that literally only pushes out a .deb, maybe an rpm, and that's it. Sure it's on the AUR, but if you rely on that too much your system is prone to breaking.

Mint never forced me to do 1.3 GB worth of updates every week just to see no difference, it runs everything I need it to, and Cinnamon is good enough on its own to not need constant tweaking. Yes, the lack of Wayland hurts because my laptop really needs it (2k display with a multi-touch trackpad, Wayland makes a HUGE difference in smoothness), but now that Mint finally has touchpad gestures I can at least use it viably.

So I'm back on Mint, and fully intend to stop hopping. I even went as far as becoming a patron to the project because I figured paying for the OS is just one more barrier to switching.

TL;DR, and to answer your question, some of us just like looking for things to fix, even if they aren't there :P
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

Telin wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 11:43 am
coffee412 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 6:38 am
Agree!
Although somehow i have the feeling that in the future that it is going to be LMDE as regular LM will be too much trouble or maybe even impossible given what is going on with Ubuntu and Gnome.
If LMDE became the standard for LM then I would not complain a bit. I am running debian on a bunch of servers and with the Mate desktop. Its pretty darn nice. Kind of gives you both worlds for being a server package but with a good desktop environment.

I got burned pretty bad on the Centos7/8 nightmare and was in the process of switching over to 8 when IBM pulled the plug. So I resolved that from now on its debian for servers.
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
wwblm
Level 4
Level 4

Post by wwblm »

coffee412 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 1:50 pm I got burned pretty bad on the Centos7/8 nightmare and was in the process of switching over to 8 when IBM pulled the plug. So I resolved that from now on its debian for servers.
Just curious, did you ever consider FreeBSD for servers? I am considering that right now, at least for Apache. Probably won't bother with a desktop environment but use webmin for what I need. Did get a DT environment going using XFCE. XFCE on MX or Mint is much more complete and it was a royal pain to get installed. Perhaps I should have tried Cinnamon or MATE? However, for a server I'm not sure a DT environment is needed. All I know is that for many years I have been running Apache in Mac OS and that is essentially FreeBSD at that level. FreeBSD is also supposed to have the best network performance or so it would appear as Netflix uses it and they probably serve more data than anyone. Getting the command line version up and running is not all that bad. Was very surprised to see that there is a Cinnamon version for FreeBSD but by the time I discovered that I had already stepped away from getting my new server running as the frustration level for getting FreeBSD up and running exceeded my tolerance.

I really do think there could be significant advantages to running FreeBSD for servers. However, you stated in another thread how grateful you were to this community for their help. The FreeBSD community is the complete opposite of that! I was looking for a solution to a problem I was having and found someone who expressed the same issue. Expecting to see the solution following a question that accurately reflected the issue I was having resulted in pages and pages of criticism about how the question was asked along with no suggestions as to how to solve the problem or even how one might find the solution in other ways. From my perspective it was a shock that people would waste so much time and effort to accomplish nothing beyond diminishing the person experiencing an issue.
LPH_[retired]
Level 2
Level 2

Post by LPH_[retired] »

Memory is not what it use to be but around 15 yrs or so. I did some distro hopping. Initially Ubuntu. Wifi drivers and printer were a serious pita coupled with my being unfamiliar with Linux in general. Ubuntu fell out favor when unity was introduced. Eventually moved to centos with gnome 2 dual booting with window. Lots of people hated it (gnome 2). I thought it was implemented correctly when compared to the freaking mess windows 8 was before 8.1 address the stupidity that was win8 was. Got tired repairing the boot when windows would mangle it. Dual booting caused me favor window more than Linux so I broke down and made the machine strictly Linux, mint 18 I think. Only have window 8.1 vm now which I very rarely use. Never ever returning to windows and Apple is even less of choice.
Alcohol is gods apology for making us self aware.
James May
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

wwblm wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 4:22 pm
coffee412 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 1:50 pm I got burned pretty bad on the Centos7/8 nightmare and was in the process of switching over to 8 when IBM pulled the plug. So I resolved that from now on its debian for servers.
Just curious, did you ever consider FreeBSD for servers? I am considering that right now, at least for Apache. Probably won't bother with a desktop environment but use webmin for what I need. Did get a DT environment going using XFCE. XFCE on MX or Mint is much more complete and it was a royal pain to get installed. Perhaps I should have tried Cinnamon or MATE? However, for a server I'm not sure a DT environment is needed. All I know is that for many years I have been running Apache in Mac OS and that is essentially FreeBSD at that level. FreeBSD is also supposed to have the best network performance or so it would appear as Netflix uses it and they probably serve more data than anyone. Getting the command line version up and running is not all that bad. Was very surprised to see that there is a Cinnamon version for FreeBSD but by the time I discovered that I had already stepped away from getting my new server running as the frustration level for getting FreeBSD up and running exceeded my tolerance.

I really do think there could be significant advantages to running FreeBSD for servers. However, you stated in another thread how grateful you were to this community for their help. The FreeBSD community is the complete opposite of that! I was looking for a solution to a problem I was having and found someone who expressed the same issue. Expecting to see the solution following a question that accurately reflected the issue I was having resulted in pages and pages of criticism about how the question was asked along with no suggestions as to how to solve the problem or even how one might find the solution in other ways. From my perspective it was a shock that people would waste so much time and effort to accomplish nothing beyond diminishing the person experiencing an issue.
I never even bothered to look at Freebsd. When I hit on debian I was pretty much satisfied. Before that I did install a ubuntu server but did not like that snap stuff. I do like having a DE like Mate on the server because I also run Virtualbox and some VMs. I could run VB headless but I enjoy the GUI. Resources like memory and storage are not so expensive today and thus I can afford the luxury. It also makes remote desktop sessions a lot simpler to setup. Documentation for debian and Mint is readily available if I ever need it so it checks all the boxes for me. I have had a lot of people ask me why I am not running docker on the servers too. I just do not care for it. I guess I am a bit old school on things and Virtualbox does a really nice job. I run apache2, nginx and for remote desktoping I run Meshcentral which is pretty darn good as a remote management tool. I have nextcloud setup on several servers. The only thing that kinda bugs me is the constant updates and upgrades. Seems for things like nextcloud its a content stream of upgrades and conflicts with the php versions.

As far as forums go, I know that when I first started in debian I got a little flak for some posts. However, I find their forum decent but sometimes a bit over my head. For the Mint forums I enjoy pretty much everyone and its very friendly.

Return to “Chat about Linux”