OneDrive Support

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
brmoretti
Level 1
Level 1

OneDrive Support

Post by brmoretti »

Since the latest Ubuntu 24.04 LTS implemented the functionality to access your Microsoft OneDrive files through the Nautilus file manager, will this also be available in the next Mint release?
Rubus
Level 1
Level 1

Re: OneDrive Support

Post by Rubus »

I am also curious about this.
Intel i7-6850K@3.60GHz
NZXT Kraken X62
Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM 128GB DDR4 3466MHz
2 GeForce® GTX 1080 Xtreme Gaming WATERFORCE 8G in SLI
Gigabyte GA-X99-Designare
Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2; 2 Intel SSD 1.2TB U.2; 2 Crucial MX300 2.1TB
Acer Predator X34
ricardogroetaers
Level 6
Level 6

Post by ricardogroetaers »

While Linux Mint 22.x doesn't arrive, see if this below meets your needs on a temporary basis.
https://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/20 ... buntu/amp/
Rubus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rubus »

Thank you for your link.

I was able to install the OneDrive package and the OneDriveGUI by following this article and the other links listed below. I'm pretty sure the instructions in your link and the one I followed are similar if not the same. Again, thank you.

https://www.makeuseof.com/how-to-instal ... on-ubuntu/
https://github.com/abraunegg/onedrive/b ... buntu-2204
https://github.com/bpozdena/OneDriveGUI/tree/v1.0.3

I'm really quite happy and excited, because when it comes to all things Linux, I'm pretty dumb, and I'm not being modest. I'm pretty clueless and inexperienced, but if you can follow a recipe, then you can follow the instructions on those links and you will be pleasantly surprised like I currently am.

As a matter of fact, the OneDriveGUI is currently, "OneDrive sync in progress..." :D
Intel i7-6850K@3.60GHz
NZXT Kraken X62
Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM 128GB DDR4 3466MHz
2 GeForce® GTX 1080 Xtreme Gaming WATERFORCE 8G in SLI
Gigabyte GA-X99-Designare
Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2; 2 Intel SSD 1.2TB U.2; 2 Crucial MX300 2.1TB
Acer Predator X34
brmoretti
Level 1
Level 1

Post by brmoretti »

Thanks for trying to help!

However I will not use a software to manage Onedrive that is not considered official by any means. I'm trying to minimize the attack surface of my files stored in the cloud.

The best scenario would be Microsoft releasing an official OneDrive client for Linux.
Since this can take a looooong time (perhaps forever) I can consider an official support provided by Ubuntu as not perfect, but at least acceptable.
ajgringo619
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ajgringo619 »

If you're willing to try a proven command-line solution for OneDrive, you can't go wrong with Rclone.
abraunegg
Level 2
Level 2

Post by abraunegg »

brmoretti wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 8:51 pm However I will not use a software to manage Onedrive that is not considered official by any means. I'm trying to minimize the attack surface of my files stored in the cloud.
As the developer of the 'onedrive' client I understand your concerns about minimising the attack surface of your files stored in the cloud. As someone with close to 30 years of IT security experience, I'd like to offer some insights on this matter when using the client that I develop and maintain.

When we talk about "attack surface area," we refer to the sum of the different points where an unauthorised user can try to enter data or extract data from an environment. Reducing this attack surface is crucial for enhancing security. In this context, when using an open-source OneDrive client this actually reduces your risk because the code is transparent and can be reviewed by anyone. This transparency means that security flaws are more likely to be found and fixed quickly, compared to closed-source software where the code is not available for public scrutiny.

It's also important to note that Microsoft has shown no desire to develop or provide an official OneDrive client for Linux|Unix platforms despite numerous requests.

The code for these open-source OneDrive clients (and there are a couple depending on features|requirements) is fully auditable. You can review all the source code on GitHub. This level of transparency ensures that any potential security issues can be identified and addressed by anyone in the community. Additionally, these clients have been peer-reviewed by many distributions, including BSD, for inclusion in their base distributions. This peer review process adds another layer of scrutiny and security assurance. Further to this point please have a read of a similar question on the Ubuntu Forums and the analysis done there: https://askubuntu.com/questions/1485186 ... -on-ubuntu

Moreover, these clients have no known security issues or vulnerabilities. If any were to be discovered, the community is very proactive about addressing them. You can reach out to the developers such as myself directly if you find any potential vulnerabilities.

Finally, while these clients may not be "official" in the strictest sense, they are about as close as you can get. Even Microsoft staff on their own forums often recommend these open-source clients for Linux|Unix users. This endorsement speaks volumes about their reliability, security and credibility.

I hope this helps clarify why using an open-source OneDrive client can be a secure and viable option for managing your files on your system, without it contributing to increasing your security exposure.
kantoulf
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kantoulf »

Hello everybody,

first of all I am new in the linux community and not at all familiar with the forum usage. So I m not sure I am in the right thread or anything, so please excuse me if I break a rule of any kind.

I used to use windows 11 as my daily driver, but decided recently to switch to Linux mint (21.3 Cinnamon). I installed a second SSD in my computer to install mint and kept windows (installed by my company) in a dual boot.

All my files were stored and synced with Onedrive in my windows SSD (NTFS partition). In linux, I installed the great Onedrive client by Abraunegg (thanks a lot !!) and I wanted to point it toward the windows existing folder, so I have only one copy of my files for both systems.

I want to specify that I disable "files on demand" in Onedrive under Windows. All files are physically downloaded on the SSD. But I still get the "Unsupported reparse tag" error in my file explorer in Linux mint :
Capture d’écran du 2024-06-11 13-17-52-min.png
I could not find any working solution to this problem anywhere on the net. Apparently some people just switched to ubuntu because it is working there. But I like Mint and don't want to reinstall my system.

Any solution would be greatly appreciated ! :)
abraunegg
Level 2
Level 2

Post by abraunegg »

Unsupported reparse tag
If you have a read of this discussion, this may lead you to an answer: https://github.com/abraunegg/onedrive/discussions/2531

Essentially you need to compile a further utility to access the OneDrive folder stored in Windows - that is the only option here.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”