is it possible to move my unencrypted drive to a encrypted partioion without deleteing everything

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rawuser_obtained75
Level 1
Level 1

is it possible to move my unencrypted drive to a encrypted partioion without deleteing everything

Post by rawuser_obtained75 »

I am new to Linux as a whole and I like the idea of mint and also I like the idea having an encrypted drive that is open source but my main problem is that I did not look too deep into LUKS before I started using my computer. Is it possible to separate my solid state drive into two partitions and then transfer all the data effortlessly? or would it be better to just freshly install mint and then configure my computer to a LUKS encrypted partition?
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Re: is it possible to move my unencrypted drive to a encrypted partioion without deleteing everything

Post by mikeflan »

I don't know a lot about this, so don't put too much value in my comments.

After reading this:
https://linuxconfig.org/basic-guide-to- ... -with-luks
Here are my thoughts:
Is it possible to separate my solid state drive into two partitions
Yes.
and then transfer all the data effortlessly?
Yes.
or would it be better to just freshly install mint and then configure my computer to a LUKS encrypted partition?
I don't know.

You might want to consider just encrypting a very small part of your data with Veracrypt. No partitioning involved.
dave0808
Level 6
Level 6

Re: is it possible to move my unencrypted drive to a encrypted partioion without deleteing everything

Post by dave0808 »

What you are asking is possible. It will require care to make sure that you get each step correct.

I have done this before, but I wouldn't say it was effortless.

I think that as you're new to Linux, a fresh install will be easier. However, if you really want to understand the process involved, then give it a try.

Either way, make sure that you have multiple backups of your data before you proceed.
rawuser_obtained75
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rawuser_obtained75 »

when I am looking at my LSBLK

it shows that I have
NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINTS
nvme0n1 259:0 0 953.9G 0 disk
├─nvme0n1p1 259:1 0 512M 0 part /boot/efi
└─nvme0n1p2 259:2 0 953.4G 0 part /

what is the difference between these two partitions? is one my home files (which I encrypted at startup )and the other is data used for my other applications / data?
dave0808
Level 6
Level 6

Post by dave0808 »

In your particular instance:-
  • nvme0n1p1 - is the EFI system partition, where the boot loader and/or UEFI firmware is stored
  • nvme0n1p2 - is where your Linux Mint is installed
If those are the only 2 partitions that you have, then you do not have a separate home partition, it is part of the "root" partition (nvme0n1p2).

If you chose to encrypt your home directory during the installation process, then this is using eCryptFS rather than LUKS.

Return to “Beginner Questions”