Firewall is off, Linux security?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Koninator

Firewall is off, Linux security?

Post by Koninator »

I have default firewall and Firestarter installed in Linux Mint Helena Fluxbox.
Standard firewall is off by default. I enable it but when I restart computer
Firewall is off.

Fire starter have some problems starting Firewall " device eth0 is not configured " now I'm
in wireless so there is interface issue. because some time i'm on wireless and other time I'm on
cable. So how could Firestarter auto detect where I am and use correct interface?

Or which firewall do you recommend? In Linux Mint Standard I had using default firewall.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Firewall is off, Linux security?

Post by shane »

In general, for normal desktop computing behind local networks, running a supplementary firewall such as firestarter is not necessary IMO. This is because, by default all ports are closed and will remain so until you start some kind of server process... most probably ones which you want to use... e.g. samba, ssh. And if you are behind a router or on a LAN the chances of a threat are less.

In my personal use, the only change within a LAN setup is that the interface drops requests (with firewall) as opposed to replying as closed (without firewall). That and you have to manually open ports for the services you want to use.

As for your problem, to me it seems it lies in the fact that firestarter is run as a system service (at boot) and the network is managed by networkmanager. Networkmanager only connects to the network once you log in. Hence firestarter starts first, sees no valid connection and doesn't know what to do.

I think UFW would be a better integrated option on the Ubuntu base. It also has a simple GUI, Gufw. If I remember correctly this is the default setup in the main edition.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UncomplicatedFi ... tuFirewall
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/gufw-simple-g ... ewall.html

P.S. if you use UFW, remember to uninstall firestarter or disable it from starting at boot.
Koninator

[SOLVED]Firewall is off, Linux security?

Post by Koninator »

I decided to reinstall Linux Mint and enable firewall at first start up.

For now works fine. I'm using default Linux firewall ( ufw ).

Return to “Software & Applications”