winpinator vs warpinator-windows

About programming and getting involved with Linux Mint development
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sjsepan
Level 1
Level 1

winpinator vs warpinator-windows

Post by sjsepan »

sjsepan
Level 1
Level 1

Re: winpinator vs warpinator-windows

Post by sjsepan »

Just noticed that both are linked from a view in the Linux app when no connections are found.
sjsepan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sjsepan »

I've just tried installing each in a VirtualBox guest running Win7 (Bridged Adapter setting).

winpinator install went fine up to the point where it required a runtime lib that had to be downloaded separately. The install finished without error, but without the lib, I would not expect it to run. I backed it out to try the other...

warpinator-windows installed without incident. Once I put in the group code, it connected right away, and both host (Mint) and guest (Win7) saw each other. Sending files works. Time to retry the first...

winpinator wanted vc_redist.x64.exe, tried to download it, then displayed the message. I discovered that I had already downloaded it and installed it, but the install did not recognize that. I re-ran the runtime install, but running winpinator gives the message "The program can't start because VCRUNTIME140-1.dll missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem". Re-downloading the requested https://aka.ms/vs/17/release/vc_redist.x64.exe seems to fix the problem, an allow the app to run. Once the group code is set, the host and guest can see each other. I am able to send files. Note: the user picture on the host connection is visible to the guest, but the user picture on the guest is not visible to the host.
sjsepan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sjsepan »

Note: once winpinator is installed, warpinator-windows no longer works, even if the latter is uninstalled and the former is re-installed.

OK, figured that out: the winpinator uninstall did not completely remove files from Program Files; I'm thinking that closing the running app left something running that was not visible in the system tray (I could not delete them, and realized something was still holding onto them). Rebooting the guest cleared that, and the installing warpinator-windows did work after that.

Of the two, warpinator-windows seemed simpler to install, the user-picture is visible from linux warpinator, and (personal preference) I like how the interface picks up on the color theme I'm using in the guest.

Return to “Programming & Development”