How to stop Gnome Online Accounts disconnecting

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
cottfcfan
Level 4
Level 4

How to stop Gnome Online Accounts disconnecting

Post by cottfcfan »

On some systems a logout/login cycle causes the Gnome Online Accounts app to disconnect & start complaining about Credentials not being verified. No matter how many times you re-input username & password it complains.
Workaround - Either end the "goa-daemon" in the system monitor, or to make it permanent, add a custom command in Startup Applications, with the command "killall goa-daemon" without the quotation marks. Issue should now be solved.
amoroso
Level 1
Level 1

Re: How to stop Gnome Online Accounts disconnecting

Post by amoroso »

I'm still experiencing the issue with Mint Cinnamon 21.3 and "killall goa-daemon" works fine, thanks.

However, I'm not sure how this is supposed to work with Startup Applications since "killall goa-daemon" must be run under sudo and requires a password. Do I have to enter the password each time I sign into a desktop session?
cottfcfan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cottfcfan »

Hi amoroso.
This post is nearly 5 years old, and was meant for Mint 19. i wasn't aware it was a problem in later versions.
However if you are experiencing the same issue, then I would just follow the workaround. As far as I remember "sudo" wasn't needed for it to work.
I would just try it. It's easy enough to reverse if it doesn't work.
amoroso
Level 1
Level 1

Post by amoroso »

Executing "killall goa-daemon" from the terminal yields the error "goa-daemon(4669): Operation not permitted", so I have to run it under sudo. Looks like a lot changed in the system over the past years but the related issue reported to the GNOME repo hasn't had much action.
cottfcfan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cottfcfan »

It will ask for a password executing it from a terminal, but if you add it as a startup app it should work fine. Or at least it used to.
amoroso
Level 1
Level 1

Post by amoroso »

Adding the command to Startup Applications did the trick: my Drive is mounted correctly and I'm not asked for the password. Thanks again cottfcfan.
cottfcfan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cottfcfan »

I'm pleased it still works after all this time. :D
SilverFox66
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SilverFox66 »

Its aggravating that this issue still hasnt been resolved after several years. Adding the "killall goa-daemon" to startup apps, doesnt work for me. I have to physically kill the goa-daemon every single time I want to add an event to the calendar, before it will sync sync
amoroso
Level 1
Level 1

Post by amoroso »

@SilverFox66 It's worth thumbing up and/or leaving a comment on the relevant issue of the gnome-online-accounts repo.

Return to “Tutorials”