(SOLVED)How to install Mint 22 while Mint 21.3 is installed on this laptop already?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: How to install Mint 22 while Mint 21.3 is installed on the same machine?

Post by Moem »

all41 wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 10:50 pm We all know this already
Well, no, newcomers can't and don't.

(The word 'woman' is not politically charged. You probably meant to make a joke, but I'm not seeing the joke. But this is off topic so let's leave it at that.)

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Kuen
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Kuen »

Moem wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 4:12 am
Kuen wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 12:51 am Thank you very much, Mr. Moem!
You're welcome, I'm a woman though. :)
Kuen wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 12:51 amDisks and Disk Usage Analyzer, which one will show the partition containing Mint? Or, whidh one will show something or hin that newbies could recognize?
Disks (which is why I suggested that and not Disk Usage Analyzer). A picture says more than a thousand words, so here is mine:

Screenshot from 2024-05-20 10-04-48.png

As you can see, the currently selected partition (orange) is indicated as sda1. It's formatted as Ext4 and mounted as root. So this tells me that my root partition, the one that is currently in use, is sda1. Since I know I'm running Mint, I now know that the root of my Mint lives in sda1.

I can select the other partitions one by one and read the information below the diagram.

Does that make things clearer?
Thank you.

Sorry, Ma'am. My apology.
"(orange)"
Yes. It is clear.
" is indicated as sda1"
Where is the indication, please?
"mounted as root"
Is it what you know or what it indicates? Where?
"root partition"
Is OS, and and all OSs, installed on root partition on all computers?
Kuen
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Kuen »

linux-rox wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 12:15 pm Here is another screenshot, multi-boot with Windows, which perhaps more nearly resembles your computer.
Partitions-Multi-Boot.png
By the way, in years past, the installer had a replace partition xyz option. If LM 22 has that option, it would be even easier than the Something Else method. If it doesn't have the option, though, Something Else certainly will do what you have asked for.
Thank you.
The multi-boot is too complicated for me. My ThinkPad T540p has Windows 7 Pro. 64b. installed by OEM. But am not going to use it. I'll run Mint 22 on this laptop, with external monitor and keyboard and mouse.
Appreciate your screenshot. Again, it is very complicated for me, a newbie, to comprehend it.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Kuen wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 4:39 am " is indicated as sda1"
"mounted as root"
Here is the same picture, with the indications highlighted in blue. You can click it for a larger view.
"root partition"
Yes, the root partition is always where the OS is installed. There may or may not also be a home partition. On a standard Mint installation, there isn't; home is a folder inside of root. You don't need to worry about that.

Basically, root is always where the system lives and home is always where the user data lives.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
linux-rox
Level 10
Level 10

Post by linux-rox »

Moem wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 5:55 am ... home is always where the user data lives.
Most common, perhaps, but not always. Data can be in a separate partition while /home remains a folder on the system partition. A pretty substantial minority of us do it that way. And many more would, I think, if it were a tick-the-box option in the installer.

Of no matter to you, Kuen. As Moem says, you have one big Linux partition with everything in one place. That works fine also.
decrepit
Level 5
Level 5

Post by decrepit »

linux-rox wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 10:38 am Most common, perhaps, but not always. Data can be in a separate partition while /home remains a folder on the system partition. A pretty substantial minority of us do it that way. And many more would, I think, if it were a tick-the-box option in the installer.
It seems the trend is now with new machines to have a smallish NME for the OS and a much larger spinner for the data.
That's what mine is, and all user data is on the spinner.
But maybe Moem was referring to user config data?
linux-rox
Level 10
Level 10

Post by linux-rox »

decrepit wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 10:16 pm ... much larger spinner for the data.
We're getting off-topic, as the OP isn't interested in either option. And, yes, where config files are located is the main difference between the two options. That said, a home partition can be put on a spinner in the scenario you describe just as easily as a data partition.
Kuen
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Kuen »

Moem wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 5:55 am
Kuen wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 4:39 am " is indicated as sda1"
"mounted as root"
Here is the same picture, with the indications highlighted in blue. You can click it for a larger view.

"root partition"

Yes, the root partition is always where the OS is installed. There may or may not also be a home partition. On a standard Mint installation, there isn't; home is a folder inside of root. You don't need to worry about that.

Basically, root is always where the system lives and home is always where the user data lives.
Thank you.

Two screenshots:
The screenshot of the HDD in my ThinkPad T540p.

After selecting Something Else, which one of the three partitions will show in Mint 22 installer, or which one do I designate for installing if they all show up?
Last edited by Moem on Wed May 22, 2024 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Made the images visible by placing the [rimg] tags around the direct link to the image.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

You should designate partition 4, which is a 'container' for partitions 5 and 6.
But it's also possible that the installer will just offer you the option to overwrite the current Mint system. If it does, you can just take that offer.

Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

linux-rox wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 10:38 am
Moem wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 5:55 am ... home is always where the user data lives.
Most common, perhaps, but not always. Data can be in a separate partition while /home remains a folder on the system partition.
It can, but I was referring to the standard situation, not customized setups. Let's not make this more complicated than it needs to be.

Kuen
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Kuen »

Moem wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 3:10 am You should designate partition 4, which is a 'container' for partitions 5 and 6.
But it's also possible that the installer will just offer you the option to overwrite the current Mint system. If it does, you can just take that offer.
Thank you.

"You should designate partition 4"
But 4 does not show sda4 or ext4. How do I know which is partition 4?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Kuen wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 5:22 am But 4 does not show sda4 or ext4. How do I know which is partition 4?
Try selecting it by clicking on it, so it turns blue. Does any text show below the diagram now?

Kuen
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Kuen »

Moem wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 6:27 am
Kuen wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 5:22 am But 4 does not show sda4 or ext4. How do I know which is partition 4?
Try selecting it by clicking on it, so it turns blue. Does any text show below the diagram now?
THANK YOU.

REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR HELP!
Kuen
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: (SOLVED)How to install Mint 22 while Mint 21.3 is installed on this laptop already?

Post by Moem »

You are welcome! And if you have further questions, you know where to find us. :D

mandak
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mandak »

PaulL wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 4:37 pm I don't know how tricky it is to remove the drive with Windows on it, but if the OP did that and then let the installer perform the first option--I forget what it's actually called--it will overwrite the LM 21.3 installation, no?

In any case, the installer isn't going to install LM 22 on an NTFS partition, and the only logical choice will be the LM 21.3 partition, which it will overwrite. The question is where the 22 installer will put GRUB. I'm sorry, but I don't know enough to advise past this point, if it is not feasible to remove the Windows drive before installing LM 22.
In Windows, I delete the partitions for swap and Linux and have a free partition for installing a new Linux. Of course, if I want to remove the old Linux.

I do this in Windows to clear the old boot for Linux in the BIOS.

Run CMD as Administrator

diskpart

list disk

select disk 0

list partition

select partition 1

assign letter=x

exit

x:

dir

cd efi

dir

rd ubuntu /s

y

rd refind /s

y

exit

In this case, the Backup made with Rescuezilla does not help, because the boot for Linux has been deleted in the BIOS. Work at your own risk.

Return to “Beginner Questions”