21.3 Cinnamon "Traditional panel"

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
GamesBond
Level 1
Level 1

21.3 Cinnamon "Traditional panel"

Post by GamesBond »

I have a new laptop and had to do a fresh install of 21.3 Cinnamon. How do I get the "traditional panel" back?

When re-installing 21.2 and then restoring backup of my home folder also traditional panel setting was restored. Is there any way to get it back?

To see a blank panel at the bottom knowing all my open windows are hidden "somewhere" is infuriatingly non user friendly.

I guess the workaround could be installing 21.1 to then upgrade to 21.2 and then 21.3 but I would rather not go down that path...

Thanks
nielo
Level 3
Level 3

Re: 21.3 Cinnamon "Traditional panel"

Post by nielo »

karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Gamesbond.

A quick forum search for "cinnamon traditional panel", ignoring any threads about LM Cinnamon older than LM 21, returned e.g. these two threads, which might help you achieve your goal:

Traditional Panel...where has it gone! [Solved]

21.2 Welcome screen: missing Traditional layout

Karl
The people of Alderaan have been desperately fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 867 days now.
Might Just Take Your Life
GamesBond
Level 1
Level 1

Post by GamesBond »

Thanks for reply! I did find those posts but unfortunately when doing a fresh install of 21.3, these methods didn't work anymore. I think perhaps some files are missing that were included in 21.1 or 21.2 and that are not removed when doing an upgrade but are not there on a fresh install
nielo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by nielo »

Well, I am on LMDE6 running Cinnamon 6.0.4 and I've just been tweaking the panel this very morning. I took these instructions from one or other of the links I previously supplied above.

1) right-click panel -> open applets

2) type “window” (just for convenience)

3) take out the “grouped window list” by clicking minus

4) add the “window list” by clicking plus and then close "applets" dialog

5) right-click panel – panel edit mode

6) rearrange applets as needed and switch off panel edit mode again*

* If the applet "Window List" fills from left to right, do this:

Right-click on the panel and toggle on panel edit mode. Left click on the "Windows list" (the tabs of the currently open apps) and move it all the way to the left of the panel. Now you will find that menu applet has moved to the right of the "Windows List". Just put it back to its original place in the same way.

Return to “Cinnamon”