SOLVED: Transparent Panel?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Robin

SOLVED: Transparent Panel?

Post by Robin »

I promise, I've searched before I ask!

Is it possible yet to make the panel in Mint 8 Xfce transparent? I could do it in LXDE (which was cool, but LXDE falls short for me in other areas), but I don't see a transparent or translucent option under Settings > Appearance.

Thank you in advance very much!

EDIT: Composting has to be enabled in order to set this up. It's not enabled by default (which is as it should be) I think, because it makes Xfce "heavier" than it needs to be. Most people who choose Xfce are looking for lightweight, not "special effects."
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
BrianD

Re: Transparent Panel?

Post by BrianD »

right click on an "empty" part of the panel, and choose Preferences (or is it Properties? ...I'm going from memory, here...) and you'll see that you can set it to a specific color, and there's an "opacity slider" (my words, not theirs) that will allow you to go from transparent through translucent to opaque.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

The only problem about setting the Xfce Panel to 'transparency' in the Preferences area of the Panel is that the entire panel will become transparent.
The panel, Icons, background, notifications area ... everything. If you move the settings to 100% the panel will disappear from view.

I use this feature and keep my Xfce Panel set to about 30% transparency.

There is a way to compile/configure the Xfce Panel to obtain True Transparency.
But, you will have to go to the Xfce Forums to get directions and the 'bash scripts'

I have had no desire to do this, but I know there is a way.
I can, however, change the panel colours and background.
Robin

Post by Robin »

I can't change the properties of the panel, only the applets or applications on the panel. If I go Menu > Settings > Panel I can adjust only the number of panels, their size, and position. But there's no slider to adjust transparency. If I right-click on a blank area, it brings up the properties of the task manager but not the panel.

Is there an "alternate route" to that slider you described?

Thanks again very much,
Robin
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

Yes.

'Right click', any open place on the panel, itself.
Another menu will open, click on 'Properties' (Preferences).

Then click on 'backgrounds' ... play with it from there.

To 're-start' the panel after you have edited it ... 'right-click' on the panel. and select 're-start'.
Robin

Re: SOLVED: Transparent Panel?

Post by Robin »

Okay, solved!

Composting has to be enabled in order to set this up. It's not enabled by default (which is as it should be) I think, because it makes Xfce "heavier" than it needs to be. Most people who choose Xfce are looking for lightweight, not "special effects," so those effects, while available, are not enabled by default. Right?

Thanks again everyone,
Robin

Return to “Xfce”