KDE with alternative to plasma?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cavgirl
Level 1
Level 1

KDE with alternative to plasma?

Post by cavgirl »

Hi,
Well, after posting that everything worked perfectly, everything suddenly went catastrophically wrong. Somehow KDE more or less installed itself. I've no idea why or how. So, I'm going to reinstall .... and am contemplating going back to gnome/xfce.
Problem is, I hate the look of either nautilus/thunar - the toolbars are so heavy, there's no way to change the 'Places/Shortcut pane' (eg, I don't like seeing 'File System/Root' - dolphin lets me hide what I don't want to see, I haven't found another file manager that does that!) ... and generally, I prefer the KDE 4.4 interface. But plasma is driving me mad - it's crashing with a regularity that reminds me of XP pre SP2. That's BAD. So... I was wondering if it was possible to install KDE, but use, say, LXDE/openbox etc - preferably something that doesn't insist on its own file manager, and preferably something that doesn't require editing config files by hand. I can do it, but frankly I don't see why I should need to!
Any ideas? I'm installing gnome for the minute just so that my Vaio is functioning.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
guitar player

Re: KDE with alternative to plasma?

Post by guitar player »

This page might be of help, Ive never tried it before though http://openbox.org/wiki/Help:KDE/Openbox
nebcanuck

Post by nebcanuck »

Actually, running the development version of Ubuntu, I see that nautilus now has the ability to remove the side pane. Not that that affects the overall interface of Gnome much! :D
tower

Post by tower »

Hi, I think Gnome can turn off the side pane just press F9 or go to View on the menu and un-check the SidePane box
If you use just the icons without the text underneath then the top isn't as big
Play around with the themes, use the customise button to allow you to change the default icons, some sets take up less room than others
cavgirl
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cavgirl »

Hi,
Thanks for those - re customising Nautilus/Gnome I've a fairly good idea of what I can and can't do. I don't have a problem with the icons for forward/back etc, it's the whopping huge 'breadcrumb trail' that offends me .... yet I'd rather that than actually see the location. Stupid, I know. Thing is, I really like the bookmarks, but I do object to having 'fixed' items there. If it's bookmarks it should totally be MY choice what I put there. Even Win7 lets me customise that completely - and has the wit to put the non-customisable stuff at the bottom so that you don't see it unless you scroll!

Actually, I'm going to try KDE again, with the absolute minimum of customisation. The thing that made it crash was installing 'fancy tasks' that then froze the system. When I tried to xkill that panel (on reflection, not bright - should have just uninstalled it) ended up with a persistent seg fault. Even wiping my .kde folder which has worked in the past did not work, and konsole kept telling me that plasma-workshop/desktop wasn't installed, and neither, apparently, was dolphin! At that point I decided to take the path of least resistance and reinstall. Maybe it's just me. I never seem to have much luck with KDE, no matter what computer I use it on!

Return to “Software & Applications”