I cannot see data on CD

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
willi

I cannot see data on CD

Post by willi »

Hey everybody,
I have a strange problem. I cannot see if there is anything on CDs. When I use file browser thunar or pcmanfm I don't get any information opening /media/cdrom. It's not a problem with the hardware because I can burn CDs (using brasero) which open on other computers.
Thanks a lot in advance. Sorry if this is a very nooby question but I tried to find something in the internet but I did not succeed.

Willi
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bobcollard

Re: I cannot see data on CD

Post by bobcollard »

willi wrote:Hey everybody,
I have a strange problem. I cannot see if there is anything on CDs. When I use file browser thunar or pcmanfm I don't get any information opening /media/cdrom. It's not a problem with the hardware because I can burn CDs (using brasero) which open on other computers.
Thanks a lot in advance. Sorry if this is a very nooby question but I tried to find something in the internet but I did not succeed.

Willi
I am attaching a screenshot of Thunar with a DVD highlighted and it's contents displayed. Nothing special done, just click on the DVD name. Now, if you are trying to look at something you have just burned you must first eject it and then replace it to open it. Then if it is full of folders or music you will see icons and titles.
willi

Post by willi »

I think I did explain too little. When I put in whatever cd I cannot see what you do whith your thunar. It does not highlight any cd. Even when I try to open the path /media/cdrom I do not see anything. But the hardware is working for example I am automatically asked if I want to open decibel audio player. This happens with all my CDs whether I burned them or not.

.... OOPS. I think I am in the wrong forum :oops: . I have fluxbox edition. Might this have anything to do with my problem? Anyways the filebrowser is thunar.
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

willi wrote:I think I did explain too little. When I put in whatever cd I cannot see what you do whith your thunar. It does not highlight any cd. Even when I try to open the path /media/cdrom I do not see anything. But the hardware is working for example I am automatically asked if I want to open decibel audio player. This happens with all my CDs whether I burned them or not.

.... OOPS. I think I am in the wrong forum :oops: . I have fluxbox edition. Might this have anything to do with my problem? Anyways the filebrowser is thunar.
I highlighted the disk by clicking on it. Thunar should be the same in all systems. I'm actually running Xubuntu (XFCE) I haven't had time to change my signature. Open Synaptic Package Manager and type thunar into the search box. Then reinstall it and see if that makes a difference.
willi

Post by willi »

Again I explained badly (sorry but my english is quite poor), "highlighted" was the wrong word to choose. I cannot see something like a cd icon like you do. what you have on the left of your screenshot, a cd icon and the name of the disc (twilight in your case) cannot be seen on my computer. I dont know if thunar is the problem, because the other filemanager pcmanfm. does not show the content neighter.
thanks
willi
Robin

Post by Robin »

I'm not sure if this is helpful or not... thought it was a bug in Helena Xfce, but maybe it applies here too:

Open Synaptic and install halevt. Halevt is a companion to HAL that helps it recognize external media. That fixed my similar problem in Helena Xfce RC1... perhaps it'll help you too.

Let us know,
Robin
willi

Post by willi »

Robin wrote:I'm not sure if this is helpful or not... thought it was a bug in Helena Xfce, but maybe it applies here too:

Open Synaptic and install halevt. Halevt is a companion to HAL that helps it recognize external media. That fixed my similar problem in Helena Xfce RC1... perhaps it'll help you too.

Let us know,
Robin
I tried and had no luck. It would be great if there are other suggestions.
willi

Post by willi »

After hours of searching the net I finally found a solution. I changed parameters in /etc/fstab from noauto to auto (and user to users but I think this was not the key). So finally it works. Thanks everybody who helped on the way...
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

The line for the cdrom should look something like this:

Code: Select all

/dev/scd0       /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0       0
replace /dev/scd0 with what your system uses.
Edit: didn't see that you got it to work.
Someone else may need this info though.
Brummel

Post by Brummel »

Ok I typed gksu thunar /etc/fstab and the last line looked like yours
/dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0

So I'm supposed to replace /dev/scd0 with whatever my system uses. I have a

TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-L632H (model)
SEAGATE (vendor)
CD-ROM (type)
HS02 (revision)

SCSI Controller
Controller scsi3 Channel 0 ID 0 LUN 0
for the optical drive. So what do I replace /dev/scd0 with?
Brummel

Post by Brummel »

OK I found a work around.
1) Click on mint menu and go to XFCE control center.
2) If you are not in hardware click on hardware (top left) and then click on Disk Utility icon.
3) You should get the Palimpest Disk utility and it should list your hard drive and CDROM drive. Highlight the CDROM disk and you should be able to mount it.

Return to “Xfce”