fluxkeys

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rogue_ronin

fluxkeys

Post by rogue_ronin »

Has anyone else had an issue with fluxkeys?

I simply opened the app (Keybindings on the Fluxbox menu) the other day, didn't change anything, but I noticed some weird entries. Today when I rebooted, I couldn't access the root menu -- clicking on the screen (pen or mouse) led to shading the app.

I finally figured out that the keys file was corrupted. Now it's possible that some other event cause it, but it doesn't seem likely, unless I'm having memory or hard drive issues.

Fortunately it was a fairly easy fix. fluxkeys also stripped all my comments, but that's fairly reasonable. I can't reproduce the behavior, and I'm wondering if it was from using a lot of pound symbols (#) as a comment symbol. I notice fluxkeys uses !.

m a r
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rich_roast

Re: fluxkeys

Post by rich_roast »

In case anyone's wondering the quick fix for this is to remove /home/user/.fluxbox/keys and log out and back in again; fluxbox will restore a default keys file in this case.

The same thing has happened to me, trying to get rid of alt+mouse combo for moving windows around (since it conflicts with inkscape). I'll maybe try again although I've worked around the issue in inkscape via an alternative command.

EDIT: Actually, this also seems to restore default configuration for (everything?) the main menu, at least, which is irritating if you've put in custom commands. Maybe a better way is to find the default from /usr/wherever and replace the keys file in the hidden folder in /home/user/.
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

Fluxkeys didn't show any issues in testing, but there have been a few issues since the release. I'm not going to include it in future releases.
rich_roast

Post by rich_roast »

Thanks, Kendall, and btw good job. I'm still getting used to fluxbox but it is definitely a lot more efficient and friendlier with resources than Gnome :)
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Kendall wrote:Fluxkeys didn't show any issues in testing, but there have been a few issues since the release. I'm not going to include it in future releases.
Boo Hoo :( Why??

I think it is an excellent program. I haven't been using flux for long, but I don't have any problem with it at all. I would really miss it if it wasn't there.
rogue_ronin

Post by rogue_ronin »

How old is fluxkeys? Has it kept pace with fluxbox?

m a r
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

Fluxconf, the package that contains the fluxkeys app got an update when I was assembling the Fluxbox edition so it's still being maintained though I'm not sure if it's still in active development.
rogue_ronin

Post by rogue_ronin »

Yeah, I found a warning here on the Fluxbox wiki.
rogue_ronin

Post by rogue_ronin »

Oh, and I found another menu editor here. It's probably out of date, too.

m a r

Return to “Software & Applications”