The Big Question (SOLVED)

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Post Reply
Cheemag
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 175
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:28 pm
Location: English Region, EU

The Big Question (SOLVED)

Post by Cheemag »

Linux Mint is a very elegant and attractive distro.

The big question is: which to install? Gnome or KDE?

Up until now I've only ever used KDE in another distro, but Mint-8 KDE doesn't seem to be as popular Mint-8 Gnome.

I'm looking for suggestions or advice.
Last edited by Cheemag on Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Regards,

Cheemag.

> Linux Mint on a 16GB flash drive.
> Mint 17.3 Rosa with Cinnamon 2.8.6
> Kernel 3.19.0.32 Generic x86_64
BrenR
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:57 am

Re: The Big Question

Post by BrenR »

Why not try Mint Gnome, since you already have KDE on PCLOS?
Image
Registered Linux User #401179
Linux Mint 9
AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3000+
2gig DDR PC3200
ATA WDC WD120g
ATA Seagate 80g
USB Seagate 120g
GeForce FX 5200
Ubuntu 10.4, XP
feed3
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 435
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:52 am

Re: The Big Question

Post by feed3 »

Depends on which one you prefer and comfortable with, don't just rely on the popularity.

As for me myself, i'm more comfortable with kde and it is also partly because my machine can run kde with sufficient speed for me. When i need to use older machine, then i will use another version with another d.e, for example; on very old machine, i use mint fluxbox (just do some basic and simple tasks such as surfing the net and so on) as it is very fast even in an old hardwares.

I've used mint main edition for a while before when helena kde still not released yet but then, as i'm more comfortable using kde as not just for some surfing on the net but also to customize it to my liking, i install kde c.e as soon as it being released. To be short, if you want something more familiar, choose the one you are familiar with, if you want to try something new, obviously; choose something you haven't try yet as in the end, it will 'serve' you isn't it? :) cheers..
Cheemag
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 175
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:28 pm
Location: English Region, EU

Re: The Big Question

Post by Cheemag »

BrenR wrote:Why not try Mint Gnome, since you already have KDE on PCLOS?
I was planning on replacing PCLOS with Mint-8.

I have Mint-8 Gnome persistent on a 16GB USB key, but it isn't the same as an install as you don't get root privileges.

Downloaded and burned the LXDE RC-1 this morning. I think I'll try that. Can always change it if I don't like it.

Regards,

Cheemag.

> Linux Mint on a 16GB flash drive.
> Mint 17.3 Rosa with Cinnamon 2.8.6
> Kernel 3.19.0.32 Generic x86_64
Cheemag
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 175
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:28 pm
Location: English Region, EU

Re: The Big Question

Post by Cheemag »

feed3 wrote:Depends on which one you prefer and comfortable with, don't just rely on the popularity.

As for me myself, i'm more comfortable with kde and it is also partly because my machine can run kde with sufficient speed for me. When i need to use older machine, then i will use another version with another d.e, for example; on very old machine, i use mint fluxbox (just do some basic and simple tasks such as surfing the net and so on) as it is very fast even in an old hardwares.

I've used mint main edition for a while before when helena kde still not released yet but then, as i'm more comfortable using kde as not just for some surfing on the net but also to customize it to my liking, i install kde c.e as soon as it being released. To be short, if you want something more familiar, choose the one you are familiar with, if you want to try something new, obviously; choose something you haven't try yet as in the end, it will 'serve' you isn't it? :) cheers..
At the end of the day I can always install another version, so I think I'll start with the Gnome LXDE version, and if I don't like it I can fairly easily change it.

Thanks both for your thoughts.

Regards,

Cheemag.

> Linux Mint on a 16GB flash drive.
> Mint 17.3 Rosa with Cinnamon 2.8.6
> Kernel 3.19.0.32 Generic x86_64
BrenR
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:57 am

Re: The Big Question

Post by BrenR »

I also have LXDE RC1 and plan on trying it out. I've run it on another distro and liked it.
It's always nice that you can try them on LiveCD first.

I'm not normally a Gnome fan, but Mint 8 has changed my mind. I did burn Mint KDE, just haven't tried it out much yet because I already have KDE on PCLOS 2010. Love KDE there, Gnome not so much there. Mint 8 Gnome just pretty much works, and that's what I like.
Image
Registered Linux User #401179
Linux Mint 9
AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3000+
2gig DDR PC3200
ATA WDC WD120g
ATA Seagate 80g
USB Seagate 120g
GeForce FX 5200
Ubuntu 10.4, XP
User avatar
markfiend
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 310
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:56 pm
Location: Leeds, UK

Re: The Big Question (SOLVED)

Post by markfiend »

The Gnome edition and the LXDE edition are two separate editions...
Omnia mutantur, nihil interit.
BrenR
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:57 am

Re: The Big Question (SOLVED)

Post by BrenR »

markfiend wrote:The Gnome edition and the LXDE edition are two separate editions...
My thought too, but we know what he means.
Image
Registered Linux User #401179
Linux Mint 9
AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3000+
2gig DDR PC3200
ATA WDC WD120g
ATA Seagate 80g
USB Seagate 120g
GeForce FX 5200
Ubuntu 10.4, XP
Cheemag
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 175
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:28 pm
Location: English Region, EU

Re: The Big Question (SOLVED)

Post by Cheemag »

markfiend wrote:The Gnome edition and the LXDE edition are two separate editions...
Yes, I know. It was probably wrong to call it 'Gnome'. New to Linux.

PS I doubt Mr Babbage would have said 'to rightly apprehend', rather 'rightly to apprehend'.

Regards,

Cheemag.

> Linux Mint on a 16GB flash drive.
> Mint 17.3 Rosa with Cinnamon 2.8.6
> Kernel 3.19.0.32 Generic x86_64
Cheemag
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 175
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:28 pm
Location: English Region, EU

Re: The Big Question (SOLVED)

Post by Cheemag »

BrenR wrote:I also have LXDE RC1 and plan on trying it out. I've run it on another distro and liked it.
It's always nice that you can try them on LiveCD first.

I'm not normally a Gnome fan, but Mint 8 has changed my mind. I did burn Mint KDE, just haven't tried it out much yet because I already have KDE on PCLOS 2010. Love KDE there, Gnome not so much there. Mint 8 Gnome just pretty much works, and that's what I like.
Exactly my thoughts. Both the LXDE and 'Gnome' versions are really elegant (KDE too of course). Having just run the LXDE live CD, I'm on the point of installing it the Linux machine. (Although a bit uncertain about the partitioning).

Regards,

Cheemag.

> Linux Mint on a 16GB flash drive.
> Mint 17.3 Rosa with Cinnamon 2.8.6
> Kernel 3.19.0.32 Generic x86_64
Cheemag
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 175
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:28 pm
Location: English Region, EU

Re: The Big Question

Post by Cheemag »

BrenR wrote:I also have LXDE RC1 and plan on trying it out. I've run it on another distro and liked it.
It's always nice that you can try them on LiveCD first.

I'm not normally a Gnome fan, but Mint 8 has changed my mind. I did burn Mint KDE, just haven't tried it out much yet because I already have KDE on PCLOS 2010. Love KDE there, Gnome not so much there. Mint 8 Gnome just pretty much works, and that's what I like.
Unfortunately, it looks like it isn't going to work. Got as far as 'Starting up the Partitioner', got a warning about /dev/sdd having a logical sector size of ... not fully supported ... highly experimental'. Installer has been 'scanning discs' for the last 20 minutes, stuck at 47%. so it looks like Mint is out for me. :(

Regards,

Cheemag.

> Linux Mint on a 16GB flash drive.
> Mint 17.3 Rosa with Cinnamon 2.8.6
> Kernel 3.19.0.32 Generic x86_64
User avatar
markfiend
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 310
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:56 pm
Location: Leeds, UK

Re: The Big Question (SOLVED)

Post by markfiend »

Cheemag wrote:PS I doubt Mr Babbage would have said 'to rightly apprehend', rather 'rightly to apprehend'.
:shock: You're probably right.
Omnia mutantur, nihil interit.
Post Reply

Return to “Newbie Questions”