Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Go2doug
Level 1
Level 1

Mint gets a few good plugs on Tech Republic

Post by Go2doug »

Try Linux Mint instead of Ubuntu

Skip Ubuntu, Use Mint!

Everyone talks about using Ubuntu. Problem with Ubuntu is that they’ve bitten off a bit of the FSF philosophy regarding using “free” software and “free” drivers. That means your Nvidia and ATI cards, wireless cards, as well as some displays will not work.

So instead, if you’re going to go Linux, pick Mint. It’s basically Ubuntu with a lot of great tweaks and all of the non-”free” drivers available through its own repository.

It also comes with WineDoors, which allows you to run a boatload of Windows apps without virtualization.

Give it a shot. It’s the most compelling desktop Linux out there.

Same here - Mint is terrific.

I’ve been a fan of Mint Linux for several years (since 4.0), and watched it improve through it’s versions. I’ve been using Mint 7.0 on my Acer laptop (formerly Vista) for more than a year now, and it hasn’t needed one tweak since installing. Just loaded it on one of my desktops as well. Runs most MSWin-based software with Wine, and the open source software it comes with is almost all I need for daily use. Mint 8.0 is supposed to be even better.

I highly recommend Mint as a Windoze alternative. It’s completely based on Ubuntu, so you get all that stability and function, but they’ve also crafted their own installer, updater, and other admin tools to make it more than just a clone of Ubuntu with some extra drivers. Best Linux distro for Window users to migrate to with minimal learning curve. Live DVD, simple installation for either solo or dual-boot install. Try it, you’ll see what I mean.

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/hiner ... ag=nl.e064
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Mint gets a few good plugs on Tech Republic

Post by exploder »

I would like to think we are a good alternative to Windows! :mrgreen:
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

I try not to think of Windows as an alternative. :p
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GrayWizardLinux »

Just caught this post - I missed the article. Good Find. Clem has done something fantastic here - but it all gets back to my argument about wishing we could get away from the Ubuntu and all of their issues...
:)
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”