which program?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
calymea
Level 3
Level 3

which program?

Post by calymea »

Hi, I've got two software questions. First, which program should I use for web site design and second which program should I for Mp3's. Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: which program?

Post by exploder »

I have not done web design but a Google search would probably show you what the top choices are so you could look and decide what you would be the most comfortable with. As far as mp3's go, everyone has their own preference for players. I like Rythmbox and Exaile myself but Amarok and Banshee are also very popular. You would have to try out a few players to see wich one you like the best, they are all pretty nice.
DataMan

Post by DataMan »

Just a few comments on the website design (I agree with Exploder's comments on .mp3s). It really depends on how extensive a website you are planning. If you're looking at just a couple of pages with no fancy stuffola, then any text editor should do you well. The reason I recommend this over some of the canned apps (DreamWeaver and their ilk) is because, in the long run, <opinion> you are much better off learning the basics of html yourself</opinion> - thus the text editor.

If, on the other hand your site is going to get complex etc. then I would recommend using one of the open source CMS packages. For my public site, I'm using Joomla. For my work-work life, I use GEdit or TextPad (depending on the environment that I'm doing the web page (PHP) programming.

-DataMan
gravelbay

Post by gravelbay »

I highly recommend http://wordpress.org/ for web design. It's free, opensource, and incredibly easy and versatile. Here are some sites done with Wordpress and custom themes, including mine first. They don't have to be blogs or even look like them.
http://www.gravelbaygazette.com/
http://www.oakwoodfl.org/
http://www.perfectlypetersen.com/
Check out my son's portfolio for some great looking examples of what can be done with Wordpress and little or no coding.
http://www.jessepetersen.com/portfolio/
Knowing html opens up more possibilities with WP, but you don't really need it unless you get into some esoteric stuff. You can use any number of free themes or spring for a custom one.
In fact, I just bought the book, "Wordpress for Dummies" and I think I'll be learning all kinds of stuff I never knew I could do.

hope this helps.
KevMaverick

Post by KevMaverick »

For Web Design, there are two programs that might be worth a try: NVU and Amaya. Personally, I find NVU easier to learn, and it's more user friendly.

For mp3's, those mentioned above are all good programs, however, I will add a couple of others that I've found to be very good. For a simple player that's good for playing music in the background, there is Audacious 2. For managing a large collection of music, I find Songbird to be a great player, which not only looks great, but has a collection of useful plugins. It's also based on Firefox, and has browser capabilities - well worth a try.
mathazar102

Post by mathazar102 »

Another web program that you might look into is Drupal depending on what kind of website you are making. It is great for making blogs, company intranet websites, and many other things! It runs well off of an Apache web server.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

For web design, you no doubt mean an IDE software, like Ms Expression (Front page evolved), IWeb (Apple) or GWT (Google, uses java, and might be closer to an editor style)

For OSS web design
Quanta plus is the standby
--a kde application
NVU/Kompozer
--a kde application

And language style or based products/editors..
  • Wordpress
    --a blog writer, very popular
    --a blog can look like a web site, although there are some giveaways, like the calendar on the right and the standard 3-column layouts
  • http://seabreeze.heeg.de/
    --smalltalk system; I like this one, because I still think smalltalk has a lot going for it.
  • Aptana
  • Netbeans
    -java + other languages
  • Eclipse
    --the granddaddy editor, languages
  • Komodo editor
    --active state: there is a free version
More technical editors are available, that is coding type editors rather than cut & paste element ides': such as dreamweaver, although they do provide a code view/edit
  • Django
  • Drupal
  • Bluefish
    --html editor
  • Language specific types
    --python, perl, C,Ruby /ROR (Ruby on Rails) etc etc..
calymea
Level 3
Level 3

Post by calymea »

Thanks to all who replied, but maybe I should of made my question clear. I would like to use an easy to use Linux program for web design and what I meant by mp3's was encoding to mp3 format before burning to cd/dvd. Thanks.
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

Kompozer is an easy to use What You See Is What You Get webpage editor/creator.

To convert one audio format to another, I suggest the easy to use Soundconverter. If you're wishing to rip cds to audio files first, I suggest Asunder. All of these are very simple to use and configure. Cheers. :)
phibxr
Level 1
Level 1

Post by phibxr »

calymea wrote:Thanks to all who replied, but maybe I should of made my question clear. I would like to use an easy to use Linux program for web design and what I meant by mp3's was encoding to mp3 format before burning to cd/dvd. Thanks.
CDex (http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/) is a good application for both ripping and encoding (you will need the Lame-codecs to encode, I think).
http://opentechblog.com - exploring open source and open solutions
Twitter @Opentechblog
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GrayWizardLinux »

Joomla too and also in a sense wordpress.com - more blog-like.

Not knowing html - I have not found any application in linux that fits my needs. Wordpress.org i believe it is that needs a hosting company etc. I have not experimented with. wordpress.com i believe it is is totally free and hosted by them free.

Many people said that Joomla was much easier. I was also told by people - that know theur stuff - that drupal when they update - all of your compnonents or whatever they are called seem to crash or have errors and you have to work on getting all of the various things working again and that the learning curve was higher than with Joomla. Joomla forums seem a bit/lot more user-friendly too. Drupal forum people seem rather arrogant if you do not know 'what they know'.
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
DataMan

Post by DataMan »

I have not experimented with. wordpress.com i believe it is is totally free and hosted by them free.
It is free. It can be hosted by your own hosting service.

My limited experimenting with WordPress:

It's really focused on a blog type of website.
I found myself going off into the code behind WordPress too frequently trying to accomplish some of what I thought should be the basics (the WordPress code is about a friendly as Joomla's (this from someone who makes his daily bread working in PHP and MySQL).

The basic engine in both Joomla and WordPress (and Drupal) is free as in open source. Depending on what you want to accomplish, all else may not be free as there is a whole lot of plugins, extensions etc. that are commercial (ie cost currency).

-DataMan
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GrayWizardLinux »

Thanks DataMan. Sometimes I am doing this all from memory and do not have time to verify it all - so that is why I pharsed it the wasy i said. :)
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
gravelbay

Post by gravelbay »

GrayWizardLinux wrote:Joomla too and also in a sense wordpress.com - more blog-like.

Not knowing html - I have not found any application in linux that fits my needs. Wordpress.org i believe it is that needs a hosting company etc. I have not experimented with. wordpress.com i believe it is is totally free and hosted by them free.
Wordpress can be either way. Wordpress.com will host your blog, but you'll have some limits on design. Wordpress.org is what you need if you're hosting your own site or have a 3rd party host such as bluehost, host gator, etc. Just make sure the host meet Wordpress' minimum requirements, which most do. http://wordpress.org/about/requirements/

In a nutshell, Wordpress.com is free & will look like a blog. Wordpress.org is free software that you need to find a host for and can look any way you want it to look.

Return to “Beginner Questions”