32-bit or 64-bit KDE first?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

For Isadora KDE which architecture should be developed first?

Poll ended at Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:54 pm

32-bit
44%
64-bit
56%

Total votes: 80

Nexus

Re: 32-bit or 64-bit KDE first?

Post by Nexus »

I voted 64-bit. While supporting existing users is a good thing, most PC's sold today or built from scratch will be running 64-bit processors, drawing new users is the way to go when planning for the future.
mikpap
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mikpap »

I voted for 64bit. I think that it is time for linux to start thinking about abandoning the past (32bit) and embrace the future (64bit)...
Andrew33

Post by Andrew33 »

I personally prefer 32bit because of better application compatability....besides, there aren't a whole lot of apps out there that support 64bit...this is just my opinion.

Andrew
openethan

Post by openethan »

I've read into Linux a few times over the years, as of about a month I have actually installed on a newly built pc. Started with Ubuntu 9.10 64bit. I wanted to experiment with the different 'flavors' of Linux, so I tried openSUSE 11.2 64bit, and back to Ubuntu 9.10 64bit. I've browsed forums, google books on Linux, here and there, and ran across a thread about trying out Linux Mint. I was instantly attracted, as I am easily drawn in :) (j/k) It truly looks elegant, as it is stated. So I am downloading Linux Mint 8 KDE 64 bit right now as I type this, 88% done. The reason I posted on this thread, is I was reading about 32bit > 64bit, such as more available .debs on 32bit, and not always available programs for 64bit (above thread). This made me cringe for a second, but realised the reason I am making this switch is because I want my freedom, and I really want to settle down and learn something new (to me). I said okay. Created this account on your forums, and decided to get posting before my download even completed. Please feel free to enlighten me on any topic associated with what I am downloading, I'll be reading and posting a lot. 99% done! :D

openethan
hunkirdowne

Post by hunkirdowne »

mikpap wrote:I voted for 64bit. I think that it is time for linux to start thinking about abandoning the past (32bit) and embrace the future (64bit)...
That's nice if you have modern hardware on which to run your favorite Linux distro. However, there are still plenty of working personal computers that are using 32-bit processors. Some folk do not have the means to upgrade their hardware so abandoning 32-bit would be abandoning those users. Nevertheless, I tend to agree that the future needs to be embraced as well. Perhaps if the 64-bit edition was developed first and the 32-bit edition were to follow, this would be the most acceptable compromise.

Disclaimer: I'm not a developer so I don't know if there exists a logical progression in which to proceed that would be more advantageous from an efficiency perspective.

Is there such an optimal path of progression?

Thinking out loud:
32-bit Gnome: Debian Sid > Ubuntu > Mint
32-bit KDE: Ubuntu > Kubuntu > Mint-KDE
64-bit KDE: I don't know the progression here. I'm still in 32-bit world despite the fact that I have the means to move to 64-bit and intend to shortly.
hunkirdowne

Post by hunkirdowne »

openethan wrote:
Created this account on your forums, and decided to get posting before my download even completed. Please feel free to enlighten me on any topic associated with what I am downloading, I'll be reading and posting a lot. 99% done! :D

openethan
Welcome openethan! I'm relatively new to Mint as well. I've been using Linux distros (distributions, flavors) since the late '90's and, on my home systems at least, exclusively for the past several years. I personally believe Mint will be what you would want to keep as your primary operating system. I like trying other distros so I partition my hard disks in such a way as to facilitate multibooting with at least two and up to four operating systems installed on each computer at one time. Based on your level experience and my personal bias, you couldn't have picked a better distro than Mint to get to know Linux.

Personal Bias:
Ease of use: Mint > Ubuntu > Debian
Stability: Debian > Mint > Ubuntu
Tools: Mint > Ubuntu > Debian
Tools by "family" (Debian, openSUSE, Fedora, slackware): Debian >> openSUSE > Fedora ... (no recent slackware experience).

EDIT: Please note that the above personal bias is just that and not a declaration that one distribution is "better" than another. This is based solely on my personal experience. I've thoroughly enjoyed using each of the distros listed above except Fedora was Red Hat (5.something) at the time.

CHEERS!
Andrew33

Post by Andrew33 »

Is there a url or webpage for the KDE 9 Isadora download for testing...I'm always open to testing new distros for linux...and so far have found that Mint is the best....(just my opinion)...you all are right, no one persons ideals should be forced upon another, but all should be able to discuss openly and gain insight from anothers experience. Whether 32 or 64 bit, it all should be good for all, according to their needs and personal preference....I thank you all for your input and insights in this discusion, and for all your hard work in the development of new distros... :)

Andrew
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

There will be no iso to test until the RC is ready.
I have started on the isadora KDE packages that are in the isadora-kde repo (unstable).
http://packages.linuxmint.com/list.php? ... sadora-KDE
clem has stared on the isadora packages too. Some KDE packages are dependent on the isadora repo.

So if you like you can play with the Kubuntu Beta 2 and the mint isadora repos.

Boo.
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Andrew33

Post by Andrew33 »

Hey Boo,

Just out of curiosity, when do you think the RC of Isadora will be out...ballpark figure...thanks and you all are doing a great job with Mint

Andrew :-)
Andrew33

Post by Andrew33 »

Hello Boo,

I found a way to test those repo's you listed below....I took a HDD out of an non operable laptop, and am using it as a USB drive with Linux Mint 8 KDE Helena.....updated and upgraded to KDE 4.4.2, then installed the source directories into it. It's pretty awsome look when setup using the oxygen widget style....great work Boo, very great work...this is soooo cool. Let me know when the actual RC comes out....I'm gonna go do some more tinkering with this and see what I can do....have a good day and God Bless.

Andrew :)

Return to “Software & Applications”