Putty client

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gatorade
Level 4
Level 4

Putty client

Post by gatorade »

where should I go to download it?
I went to putty.org , but I only saw windows versions.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Asus N82JQ
Mint 17.3
deleted

Re: Putty client

Post by deleted »

Unless you are running Windows as a workstation, you don't need it.
If what you're trying to accomplish is "Open a Secure Shell from Linux (Mint) to an Secure Shell Server", then open the terminal of your choice in Linux and use ssh.

type:
man ssh (from a terminal)
or
http://linux.about.com/od/commands/l/blcmdl1_ssh.htm

Hope this helps.
-Hinto
gatorade
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gatorade »

it was recommended that I get that as way to bypass the throttling imposed by bell/rogers for p2p traffic.
Asus N82JQ
Mint 17.3
RedWagon

Post by RedWagon »

o_O

Did they suggest Putty specifically or just one of the protocols used by Putty? Methinks this source isn't very reliable...
gatorade
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gatorade »

they recommended bitvise tunnelier, but I didn't see anything for linux so I asked and they said PuTTY would work for linux.
Asus N82JQ
Mint 17.3
RedWagon

Post by RedWagon »

Looks like you just want ssh tunneling. Just google "ssh tunneling ubuntu" and there should be plenty of tutorials to use. Here's a pretty simple one that should work:
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/manage-ssh-tu ... nager.html
hemimaniac

Post by hemimaniac »

if you are needing to connect to another terminal or client simply open terminal and do

ssh Username@ip.of.server
gatorade
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gatorade »

RedWagon wrote:Looks like you just want ssh tunneling. Just google "ssh tunneling ubuntu" and there should be plenty of tutorials to use. Here's a pretty simple one that should work:
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/manage-ssh-tu ... nager.html

this works with Mint ?
Asus N82JQ
Mint 17.3
BrianD

Post by BrianD »

yes. it will work with Mint
deleted

Post by deleted »

The first place I _always_ look is in the package system (synaptic), before I look at unknown websites for installing/compiling packages by hand.
BTW... That was a hint.
-Hinto
gatorade
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gatorade »

hinto wrote:The first place I _always_ look is in the package system (synaptic), before I look at unknown websites for installing/compiling packages by hand.
BTW... That was a hint.
-Hinto
thanks for the hinto, Hinto!

guess I should have checked there first, I looked in the software package manager but it wasn't there, never thought to look at the package manager.
Asus N82JQ
Mint 17.3
deleted

Post by deleted »

NP..
Hope this solves your problem
-H

Return to “Beginner Questions”