(SOLVED) NASA TV

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Bry

(SOLVED) NASA TV

Post by Bry »

I enjoy watching NASA TV (http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/i ... ram=public). However, although the video has loaded before, it has now failed and I don't know why. It tells me to download Real Player (probably alluding to Windows really). I have Real Player and Movie Player that it used to work well with - as do other websites.

Has anyone an answer for this please, especially as there is a shuttle launch due in the next few days.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
RedWagon

Re: NASA TV

Post by RedWagon »

That's pretty awesome, it worked on my Mint install. What web browser are you using? Could you also give a more specific error or screenshot?
Bry

Post by Bry »

Hi RedWagon, It's the same in both browsers: Firefox & Chrome. I have taken a screen shot but don't know how to put it on here.

This what it comes up with where the vid should show: NASA TV requires Windows Media, Real Player or Quicktime plug-ins to play in your preferred player. Please check "Other Viewing Options" on this page or download necessary plug-ins.
RedWagon

Post by RedWagon »

Did you install anything to try and get it to work? It should work out of the box, I haven't messed with any codecs on this computer (I'm at work :D) and it works alright. It's possible that by trying to install new codecs or plugins you disabled some of the default ones.
Bry

Post by Bry »

No, I added the Real Player after the NASA TV pic went wrong. Thanks for trying, but maybe when Mint 9 comes along, it may cure the problem.
RedWagon

Post by RedWagon »

How did you add Real Player? I'd like to try it and see if it breaks NASA TV for me too. If I can reproduce the problem I might be able to figure out a fix...
Bry

Post by Bry »

Yippeeeee! Problem solved by thinking sideways!

I clicked on NASA TV's menu on the right hand side, I tried it by clicking links to Real and Windows and that brought up an option to see it on Totem Movie Player. Success!

Incidently, I found Real Player 11, in either Software Manager or Package Manager, can't remember which.

UPDATE: Should have mentioned I clicked on,Other Viewing Options then as above.
Last edited by Bry on Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RedWagon

Re: (SOLVED) NASA TV

Post by RedWagon »

I installed realplayer but it still worked for me, I have no idea what was wrong. Glad you figured out another solution though...

Return to “Beginner Questions”