Unable to use Cano Scan LIDE 25

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kei84

Re: Unable to use Cano Scan LIDE 25

Post by kei84 »

Install Xsane, Sane, Sane-utils, libsane, libsane-extras from the repositories.

After installing open Xsane and you will be able to use your scan. It might ask you don't have permission to acess, in this case open Xsane as root through your terminal.

After installing Xsane, I was able to use my scan with Scan Utility and Xsane.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
trident

Post by trident »

My experience of the default Scanner Utility is that it's not really good for anything. Using XSANE instead should work, it's much better and I don't know why Mint doesn't ship it as standard when Ubuntu does!
lexon

Post by lexon »

I have been using a Canon Scan Lide 20 for some time. It works very well with Mint 6, Mint 7 using the default scanner application. It works very well for me but Xsane should work also.

lexon
Canadian

Post by Canadian »

I can use it to but it does not just scan the image but puts a background on it. How do I just get the pic and not the pic with a white background?
lexon

Post by lexon »

I only use the scanner utility for full pages scans. It is quick. I could never get the preview option to work properly. I guess whoever developed this little application dropped any updates.

For smaller scans, I use Xsane and do a preview scan. With the mouse I select just what I want to scan and there is no white background. Just a few more steps.

Both applications work fine on an Lide 20, Lide 25 and HP all in one.
I still use Mint 7 Gnome.

Rich
renrip
Level 1
Level 1

Post by renrip »

Here is another data point for those looking to get the good old CanoScan LiDE 25 working in Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon.

I simply attached the scanner, launched Simple Scan, and started scanning. The images are great.
I did not have to install anything additional to get it working.

The Simple Scan application is not much to behold but all I really need to do is scan receipts & documents and an occasional photo.

Cinnamon 4.0.9
Kernel 4.15.0-46-generic

I hope this info helps someone.

Return to “Beginner Questions”