mintCast Wallpaper Challenge [1st&2nd Place win IBM Laptop]

Submit your artwork to make Linux Mint look better
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rothgar

mintCast Wallpaper Challenge [1st&2nd Place win IBM Laptop]

Post by rothgar »

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to detail the the wallpaper challenge that Charles and I announced in the latest http://mintcast.org (episode 28). Please post here or email the podcast with any questions. Good Luck!

In mintCast episode 28 we talked about a wallpaper challenge. Here are the rules for that challenge:

1. Create an original mintCast inspired wallpaper. (“original” meaning you created the whole wallpaper yourself). Please submit the wallpaper(s) in widescreen 2560x1600 or full screen 1600×1200 resolutions (widescreen preferred). File formats accepted will be bmp, jpg, png. There is no limit to how many wallpapers you can submit, but please keep the wallpapers clean of any nudity, offensive language, violence, etc.
2. Submit your wallpaper(s) before February 1st 2010 (Eastern time, GMT -5) to mintcast@mintcast.org. If you would like to post the wallpaper to a wallpaper sharing site such as http://www.gnome-look.org, http://www.socwall.com, or http://www.desktopnexus.com please email us a link to your wallpaper. If you use any photography or pictures that are not your own please include a link to the source material to we can verify you have permission to use the source.
3. In the first week of February we will post a poll on mintcast.org where you can vote for your favorite wallpaper. Voting will close on February 15th and the winner will be announced on the second mintCast podcast in February.
4. The wallpaper submitted that receives the highest number of votes will receive an IBM R51 laptop with power cord and Linux Mint 8 installation CD. The second place wallpaper will receive an IBM R40 laptop with power cord and Linux Mint 8 installation CD.

Please email us if you have any questions and good luck!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rich_roast

Re: mintCast Wallpaper Challenge [1st&2nd Place win IBM Laptop]

Post by rich_roast »

I know you said to email, but just in case the answer is of interest to others:

Q. Will wallpapers or entrants win the prize? What I mean is, will votes for each entrant or votes for each wallpaper count first past the post? To further clarify, if it's votes for each wallpaper then surely this negates from the incentive to submit more than one entry, since this will water down the entrant's chances of winning.

The specific reason I ask is that desktops are best supplied, imo, as variants of a theme, e.g. flipped, different colour schemes, different resolutions, and variations on motif to satisfy the widest range of users possible. To avoid entry spamming the rule might be that wallpaper "sets", identifiably on the same theme, be counted as a single entry and votes be counted on that basis.

Just wondered :) Great competition, thanks, I'm at work on my first ever wallpaper design (never really bothered with this sort of thing before but it's quite fun).
rothgar

Post by rothgar »

rich_roast wrote:Q. Will wallpapers or entrants win the prize? What I mean is, will votes for each entrant or votes for each wallpaper count first past the post? To further clarify, if it's votes for each wallpaper then surely this negates from the incentive to submit more than one entry, since this will water down the entrant's chances of winning.
The winner will be chosen by most votes on one wallpaper or wallpaper set. If there is a set of wallpapers submitted (with color variations, or only text/only icons) we could consider the wallpapers in the same set and vote on them as a whole. This will probably be the easiest way so that submissions don't get flooded.
rich_roast

Post by rich_roast »

Thank you! :)
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GrayWizardLinux »

I am interested but fuzzy on the relevance re: theme for wallpaper to mintcast. can you clarify? sorry my post id fuzzy too - still having my morning coffee. :D
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
rothgar

Post by rothgar »

GrayWizardLinux wrote:I am interested but fuzzy on the relevance re: theme for wallpaper to mintcast. can you clarify? sorry my post id fuzzy too - still having my morning coffee. :D
What we are looking for is a wallpaper that promotes the mintCast podcast in some way. You can do this by saying mintCast somewhere on the wallpaper or using the mintCast slogan "Welcome to mintCast, the podcast by the Linux Mint community for all users of Linux." or by using the mintCast icon

You can get as creative as you would like.
rich_roast

Post by rich_roast »

D'oh!

I've been on blender doing some stuff and never knew there was an actual mintCast icon; I ended up rendering a mint icon on my thing instead.

Oh well, all good practice with beziers anyway :lol:

You couldn't by any chance supply a .blend of your icon could you? :wink: Also, can't stop myself from saying it, I do listen to your podcasts and I have checked the site, but unless I've totally missed my mark (possible, it is New Year's), you're going out of your way to hide the thing. The icon, I mean. Haven't ever seen it before.
rothgar

Post by rothgar »

rich_roast wrote:D'oh!

I've been on blender doing some stuff and never knew there was an actual mintCast icon; I ended up rendering a mint icon on my thing instead.

Oh well, all good practice with beziers anyway :lol:

You couldn't by any chance supply a .blend of your icon could you? :wink: Also, can't stop myself from saying it, I do listen to your podcasts and I have checked the site, but unless I've totally missed my mark (possible, it is New Year's), you're going out of your way to hide the thing. The icon, I mean. Haven't ever seen it before.
To be honest we don't use the icon that much (just for itunes artwork and occasionally embed it in the podcast mp3s). We got the icon from here and I am not sure about charles but I am not incredibly attached to it. Having artwork just looked so much better than non at all. If you want to create a new icon along with your wallpaper I am totally up for it. I started a couple icons of my own but never finished so we just stuck with the one we liked best from the previous thread.
hnmAck

Post by hnmAck »

Just guessing if that is ok with apple.
beauvin

Post by beauvin »

Why wouldn't it be ok, it's just a penguin that holds some sort of ipod lookalike mp3 player with mintCast written all over it :)
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Re: mintCast Wallpaper Challenge [1st&2nd Place win IBM Lapt

Post by Zwopper »

Maybe it's time to unstick this topic... :roll:
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Zwopper,
I can't find any announcement of the winners of this competition,on the Mintcast site it looks like it is still running.
We are having a bit of a problem with making threads sticky at the moment.
I've made a note to check back here when the "sticky" situation is sorted out,and if the competition is over I'll "un-sticky" it - I've mangled the language dreadfully here but it was the only way I could think of to express it.
rothgar

Post by rothgar »

oscar799 wrote:Zwopper,
I can't find any announcement of the winners of this competition,on the Mintcast site it looks like it is still running.
Sorry about that, the contest is definitely over. The winners already received their prizes. I just haven't gone back to list all of the wallpapers for download. I will try to do that this weekend. This thread can be un-sticky'd.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Thanks rothgar
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Zwopper,