lost my mint menu and can't reinstall

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Post by Husse »

No cross posts please! I think I've seen this crossposting before today and if more cross posts appear I will delete all of them
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

There were 4 identical posts (well one of them was a bit different as it included a little rant against you Husse), one of which I deleted before it was answered.

This one is posted in the right place though, so I suggest we forget about all this. Warnings have been made, I hope they were understood. Now let's focus on the question itself.

you can't install two packages which contain the same files. USP and mintMenu use the same files. If you want to install USP you probably need to remove the mintmenu package. APT should tell you which package is preventing USP from being installed, and chances are it's mintMenu.

Clem
Husse

Post by Husse »

OK lets forgive and forget :)
But remember to another time - one post is enough - it will be read and answered if someone has the answer.
I think Clem believes you want to remove mintMenu, but the opposite is true if I read you right.
I did actually not know the interdependence between USP and mintMenu. So remove USP and install mintMenu in that order and you are probably done. I'd go for a complete removal as a menu really is a lot of configuration :)
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: lost my mint menu and can't reinstall

Post by scorp123 »

bjb1959 wrote: apt-get it tells me that it is referenced by another package but doesn't install it ...
Unfortunately you're not giving a sufficient amount of any useful details. Can you please give us the precise output you get, e.g. when you try to execute the command?
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Here is the output from apt-get

Post by scorp123 »

bjb1959 wrote:This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or is only available from another source
E: Package mintmenu has no installation candidate
bjb1959@bjb1959-desktop:~$
Hmmm ... Can you please copy & paste the contents of your /etc/apt/sources.list file here? I think there may be entries missing (guessing from that error message ...)
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Just as a quickie note and sort "piece of advice" .... Please be cautious with all those repos. Some of the files you can get from there can get into conflicts with each other (e.g. they try to overwrite the same files in the same places) or they can install library versions that may all of a sudden create problems elsewhere (e.g. programs may all of a sudden complain about 'missing libraries' or 'wrong library versions' although everything seems to be installed ...). My advice would be not to enable so many repos unless you really need stuff from there.

Also, as for Automatix: On Ubuntu's IRC channel (channel #ubuntu on irc.freenode.org) they are totally against it, they don't recommend it. Well, your mileage will vary: For some people it works very well apparently. But as you can see: It is also known to break systems. So be cautious with that one too please.

As I wrote here ... don't be "greedy" about those repos and don't overkill your PC with tons of installed software you're maybe not going to use anyway.
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... 2307#22307

Regards :wink:
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

I wouldn't recommend to use Automatix or to play with sources.list in Mint. We've changed the way things work and you shouldn't have to use these tools. Either what you're looking is already there in our repos, either it's on the Software portal and mintInstall will hot-plug the right repos for you. If it it's not, ask for it, but as a general rule, if you have to modify your sources.list manually then it means there's something missing in our repos/portal.

Clem

Return to “Other topics”