Linux Mint 9 "Isadora" RC released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
GoustiFruit
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Linux Mint 9 "Isadora" RC released!

Post by GoustiFruit »

Whenever I try to boot another distribution from the grub menu installed by Mint, I get "kernel panic" ! :evil:
Andrew33

Post by Andrew33 »

Is there going to be a KDE version of LM9?....just curious...because that's what all the previous talk was about. I downloaded and burnt the disc and saw that it was Gnome....Mint rocks....thank you Clem for such a fantastic job well done and to the dev team

Andrew :D
moorewarner

Post by moorewarner »

Just wanted to pipe up and say that Mint has another convert.

Me and all the folks I support and convert. i have been sniffing cautiously around mint for a couple of years now as the benefit/gain from stock Ubuntu wasn't seeming compelling enough.

I finally, with Mint 8 and enough Ubuntu headaches, dove back in and it was just such a fine experience. I found that the default setup mirrored how I usually rearrange Ubuntu. I think your app. additions are excellent, welcome bits of functionality I have been wishing for for ages from Ubuntu.

All in all I finally experienced that Mint is what I try and hope to get Ubuntu to be, with a more closely allinged focus to what I also think the most important goals of a *desktop* should be.

I have already put one new business (small contracting outfit on Mint) and I will soon switch the rest of my peeps to 9 when it goes gold.

I just wanted to say well done to the Mint team, and thanks for great work. Your reputation is well deserved.

I will be curious to see how mint handles Ubuntu's direction of netbookifying/socializing their offering (two trends I have little interest in) in coming releases.

Once again, a hearty thanks for an outstanding job.

Sincerely,

Clifton
Seventh Reign

Post by Seventh Reign »

Another Excellent release as expected.

I would like to suggest allowing Mint 8 and previous users to install/upgrade to the Mint 9 version of the Backup Tool, without having to upgrade the entire system. The new version would help alot.
friedsonjm

Post by friedsonjm »

Could you please add the realtek 8191/92 wireless drivers? Lots of them in newer machines, such as my Toshiba T135. rtl8192se_linux_2.6.0015.0127.2010 worked fine in the RC.
thanks,
jf
Last edited by friedsonjm on Wed May 05, 2010 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seventh Reign

Post by Seventh Reign »

I also dont understand why, or believe that the 'featured applications' in The new Software Manager should include "Default Installed" Applications.

They're already installed ...

8 of them (that I counted) are installed by default. Those 8 Applications should probably be replaced with apps that arent installed.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

Just loaded the RC. Very very nice indeed. Haven't had time to dig into it tonight (do it tomorrow) but the only glitch so far is that Plymouth does not like the proprietary nVidia driver. The Plymouth [Linux Mint] loading screen is a very low resolution (looks horrible). I expected this since I've been testing Ubuntu Lucid Lynx since the first beta and Plymouth is broken when using the same nVidia driver (the "recommended" one: 195 I think?) so this isn't a Mint problem.

There's a fix for it but I'll have to go looking for it again. Other than that, Isadora looks like an excellent release. :D
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
MrD

Post by MrD »

Dell Inspiron 1520, Intel onboard graphics. Just installed 9rc over 8, choosing to use the same 3 partitions, formatting the "/" and swap partitions. When I booted in I have nothing on my taskbar. I had to manually add "Mintmenu" to the panel (and it is in the wrong place) to add the hardware drivers for wifi after plugging into ethernet. Luckily settings kept from previous install so I can get on here and pose this question. How do I get my taskbar sorted? Also, if I launch Firefox and minimise it, it seems to shoot off to the bottom right, off screen, suggesting my taskbar is running off into the distance perhaps? I've checked the other 3 workspaces and nothing is there.....I have to ALT-TAB to find the stuff I have open. I have also managed to move the newly added Mintmenu and Clock to their normal positions, but the notifications panel has no move option and is sat retarded 2/5ths the way across my taskbar.
Last edited by MrD on Tue May 04, 2010 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wildhawk

Post by wildhawk »

Does Mint 9 Isadora come with the social network integration as in Ubuntu 10.04? If so where / how do you find it?

Thanks, I love it!
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

MrD wrote:Dell Inspiron 1520, Intel onboard graphics. Just installed 9rc over 8, choosing to use the same 3 partitions, formatting the "/" and swap partitions. When I booted in I have nothing on my taskbar. I had to manually add "Mintmenu" to the panel (and it is in the wrong place) to add the hardware drivers for wifi after plugging into ethernet. Luckily settings kept from previous install so I can get on here and pose this question. How do I get my taskbar sorted? Also, if I launch Firefox and minimise it, it seems to shoot off to the bottom right, off screen, suggesting my taskbar is running off into the distance perhaps? I've checked the other 3 workspaces and nothing is there.....
Sounds like your resolution may be incorrect so you might want to make sure you're running at the correct resolution for your machine. You might want to check the Hardware Drivers applet to see if there's any new proprietary Intel video drivers available also.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
MrD

Post by MrD »

Okay, that problem has gone away. After installation I had tried a reset, but that didn't work. Then when I had added the notification applet I finally saw there were updates to make. I installed 4x updates, then reset, and my taskbar is back to normal. Because I had tried the Hardware drivers option to gain the wifi drivers I needed (Broadcom STA) that doesn't come for my laptop (hence my mention of having to plug into ethernet to do that earlier) I had no option for new Intel drivers. With Mint 7 and 8 I never got additional ones either.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

MrD wrote:Okay, that problem has gone away. After installation I had tried a reset, but that didn't work. Then when I had added the notification applet I finally saw there were updates to make. I installed 4x updates, then reset, and my taskbar is back to normal. Because I had tried the Hardware drivers option to gain the wifi drivers I needed (Broadcom STA) that doesn't come for my laptop (hence my mention of having to plug into ethernet to do that earlier) I had no option for new Intel drivers. With Mint 7 and 8 I never got additional ones either.
Glad you got it fixed. I mentioned checking for new Intel video drivers since Lucid Lynx improved/added additional support for Intel video hardware. I wasn't sure if that included some new drivers as well or if it was "in-system" improvements.
johnsonm8741

Post by johnsonm8741 »

Just wanted to let you know - I really appreciate all your hard work. However, after clicking "try without installing" the screen goes blank and stays blank. My graphics card is nVidia GeForce 6150 LE. Note. I tried compatibility mode and checked the disc for problems. Also, this happens with all of the 10.04 Ubuntu versions also. I even did a f6 (on ubuntu versions) and selected "nomodeset" and was able to boot... and install. However, upon reboot - blank screen. I am at a loss as why this is happening..
MrD

Post by MrD »

are we having a special forum to report issues with the 9 RC then? I don'tsee one right now and this thread will get pretty populated :)
Silent Warrior
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Silent Warrior »

Aye, and here's one more! :)

Printing: While using the LiveCD, I didn't get anything to print. My printer (Epson Stylus S20) was correctly detected, looked just like in Helena with all the applets and notifications and such-and-such, communication seemed to work, judging by the power-indication light switching from solid to blinking - but that's as fun as it got. I haven't tried this in the now installed RC (adventurous li'l SOB, me!), but I thought I'd mention it all the same.

Repositories: This might be old hat, but I would really appreciate it if there was a way to change what Ubuntu-mirror we download from. I happen to be on Iceland (at the moment), and as it happens, my very school runs an Ubuntu-mirror - which is accessible through Ubuntu (any version), but not through Isadora. Meaning I'd have to know my local mirror pretty well. Which I do, so it's adjusted now and no longer a problem. I'm not sure how big of a tweak this would be, but I covet this with ire.
(Iceland's approach to Internet is to have basically unlimited downloads from icelandic servers (usually 200~700+ kb/s for me) and limited downloads from international servers (up to 430 kb/s, depending on all sorts of things - 40 Gb/month on this line). Since this is a shared connection... You do the math.)

[Edit] By the way, I also noted my laptop seems to run A LOOOOT cooler with this release - or, at least, my fan doesn't come alive as soon, or as mightily, and the temp-applets never seem to go above 60 C. Whether this is good or bad, I don't know (but so far, I LIKE - much easier to listen to Shostakovich with these pitiful laptop-speakers without the fans running full-tilt; the Toshiba-fan issue) - I did get a surprise reboot as I was applying... uh, several packages :oops: to get back to the setup I had in Helena, but I wasn't there to see what the reason was.

Oh, and the battery-applet! I guess this is an upstream-thing, but I would much approve of having a percentage-readout from the indicator-applet instead of/as well as the time remaining. I prefer to let my battery drain a little farther than 10%, thank you very much. :twisted:
melloe

Post by melloe »

I have been using Mint for a long time at home and at the club. installed or aided in the install for NooBs at the club. Put it on a few Builds for folks. Never gave back anything other than doing the Test versions. Thought I would sign on and thanks to all here. My salutation over at Newbies Linux has often been, "Mint in the morning" <G><
. Usually waited for the CE KDE version for my own use, but decided to test the Gnome on one of my own personal boxes.. Everything worked out of the box. Great job. two thumbs up!!!!

So far I have also put it on one of the club boxes, an "old" HP OEM P4 32 bit with only 512 MB of RAM, just to see where it is. The thing uses a Celeron, so multitadking with that and the RAM is a bit much, but otherwise it works great.there too.

I am not sure it is universal, but I have noticed the installs with a few updates have gotten bigger and bigger for the full distros, and some ISO's are now humongous. But the default automatic size is still small. Something to think about. The NooB could screw up all too easy.

Anyway...great job. Keep up the good work. And I will continue to tell NooB's about Mint.
agyar

Post by agyar »

So far very good.

Everything worked out of the box, some things even better than on Ubuntu 10.04 like one specific app i need to run trough Wine, on Ubuntu it crashed once per hour, but on new Mint it runs for more than 12 hours now without a single problem.

One glitch noted so far, but it most probably goes under "Editing items in the menu doesn't take effect immediately" from Known issues. When installing new software, some of them don't get shown in Start menu (2 apps so far for which i presume should have their entry in launcher). Also, after installing wine, everything works, wine appears in start menu, but it contains nothing, eg. apps cant be started from there, but gouing trough console to .wine folder and starting it from command line.

Anyway, great release and a keeper. Thanks for all your effort :)
henrydubb

Post by henrydubb »

clem wrote:
New Backup Tool Incremental backups, compression, integrity checks Backup/Restoration of the software selection Menu improvements Editable items Transparent menu Always start with favorites “Add to” shortcuts Desktop [...]
Read more: http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=1386

Clem.
I was very impressed with mint 9 rc. One thing I was particularly interested in trying out was the backup. I was using Deja Dup so was excited about a backup off home directory. Deja Dup recognizes (duplicity) my networked back up drive and performs daily backups to that. I was hoping Mint would do the same. No such luck.

My two problems with back up is no network backup capability and no way that I can tell to automate the backup process. Can it be done hourly, daily etc.?

Relatedly I have noticed on some programs when right clicking a "restore previous version" . What is this exactly. Is it related to the back up program.

Thanks again for all your hard work. You have made Ubuntu safe for me again.
rps63ifid
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rps63ifid »

Looking forward to trying the RC. Have several quick questions, having spent the past month running the upstream Ubuntu 10.04:

1. Are the boot/shutdown speedups from U10.04 present in LM9?
2. Are the U10.04-specific GNOME themes present in LM9?
3. What version of java is present in the LM repos? U10.04's decision to move to OpenJDK, rather than the Sun JRE/JDK, leaves a hole as not all java apps will run against OpenJDK. I have no issues with LM's decision not to include java on the install image as long as it's available in the repos, but I'm hoping LM has gone with Sun on this one.
pascoa341

Post by pascoa341 »

I'm having a problem with my mobile broadband, basically not being recognised by the network manager. It shows up as an external hdd, but the modem component is not recognised. Not certain if you can do something about this, but if so that would be great! Also, is it possible to have a vertical external monitor?

Return to “Releases & Announcements”