Folding@Home

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Folding@Home

Post by tinca »

Bren,

welcome to the folding team.

Best regards Keith
dwflo

Post by dwflo »

Hello,

Just wanted to inform you, I have joined the team.
Completed my first work unit, but been able to connect to the folding@home servers for several days.
On the folding@home forum now, seeking help with the issue. Will let you know of the results.

Dave
tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca »

dwflo,

welcome to the folding team. I will look for your progress.

Best regards Keith
BrenR

Post by BrenR »

Is there any advantage to running 64bit Fah on 64bit Mint?
I'm thinking of installing 64bit Mint on this machine (AMD64).
Last edited by BrenR on Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca »

Hi all,

dwflo. I can now see you on the leader board, so we can assume that following the help you were given on the Stanford help pages, your problem is fixed. Well done.

BrenR,
You will find it will be faster when "protein folding" to have "Mint 8" 64 bit installed.

Best regards Keith
BrenR

Post by BrenR »

I have Mint8 -64 installed and Fah6 -64bit up and running, so we will see what it can do. :)
MysticGold04

Post by MysticGold04 »

BrenR wrote:I have Mint8 -64 installed and Fah6 -64bit up and running, so we will see what it can do. :)
Make sure you configure the client with the -smp flag so that it takes advantage of your dual cores (if you have duals) My AMD Phenom II is averaging about 1600-1800 PPD - not too shabby for what it is... I am also running an older Dell P4 2.0ghz system on Notfred's Diskless USB configuration. This one is not running SMP, but the classic version of the client. Seems ok..

BTW, welcome to the team, BrenR and dwflo!! :)
BrenR

Post by BrenR »

Not dual cores, sorry. Maybe on the next build. :)
MysticGold04

Post by MysticGold04 »

BrenR wrote:Not dual cores, sorry. Maybe on the next build. :)
Nonetheless, it should help out I'd think! :)
dwflo

Post by dwflo »

tinca wrote:Hi all,

dwflo. I can now see you on the leader board, so we can assume that following the help you were given on the Stanford help pages, your problem is fixed. Well done.

Best regards Keith

Thanks Keith, all is solved, working on my 5th WU now.
6 hours to process 500k steps, fantastic.

Dave
tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca »

dwflo,

thats what we like to see and hear, someone who is willing to make the effort to get things working.

Best regards Keith
MysticGold04

Post by MysticGold04 »

Bump! The Linux Mint Folding team needs you! Our PPD (points per day) is steadily dropping and we need more people to donate CPU time
for the Folding Projects!

Visit this link for more information: http://folding.stanford.edu
tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca »

MysticGold04,

my folding points have come to a complete standstill for a few days now. My computer case has NO dust filters so every few months I give it a spring clean. This time I decided to strip everything out of the computer and at the same time fit a new "Corsair H50" water cooler for the CPU.

I made a complete pigs ear of it, and I have only just (in the past half hour) managed to get it to boot. Even then I could not get to a desktop. The error " unable to mount the file system" amongst other errors. Not being the brightest with Linux I decided to install Mint 8 from scratch.

I was fortunate that I had a separate home, but all of the installed programs have been lost so I will just take my time and add them back slowly as I need them.

It is good to be back folding.

We do require a lot more Mint users to join the team as some of the teams behind us are gaining on us by over a hundred thousand points a day.

Best regards Keith
tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca »

jackwrabbit,

welcome to the Mint folding team. I have just noticed you on the points board.

Best regards Keith
beefstu

Post by beefstu »

I've joined! Can't promise I'll add much to our points but every little helps i guess. Can i just add

Code: Select all

./fah6 -verbosity 9
to my startup applications for it to run at startup or do i need to create a script first and run that?

EDIT: it also seems to permanently max one of my cores out, even when I'm using the computer. I set it to low rather than idle in the configuration, is this the reason?

RE-EDIT: have now changed it to idle and started the program again but it still does it! Even opening Songbird and GIMP at same time leave it running very high.
tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca »

beefstu,

If you go to this page

http://folding.stanford.edu/English/LinUNIGuide

it gives details of how to start it as a service so that it starts as soon as you power on your computer. I do NOT run folding automatically as my computer is never turned off, so it does not apply. Adding verbosity 9 only gives you more information in the terminal. To get mine to run I type into the terminal

cd folding
./fah6 -smp (the -smp is because I am running a 64 bit system)

Folding by nature is CPU intensive and I have installed on my fully updated Mint 8 Gnome the following program. "kpowersave", for the opposite reason you need. I wanted my CPU to be maxed out permanantly. In the program you can select what state you want your CPU to run at. Performance is flat out 24/7, then you have Dynamic and finally Powersave.

Best regards Keith
darco
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darco »

Anyone know where rfurgy went? He was putting up some huge numbers then "poof" he disappeared :?:
tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca »

darco,

I have been hoping that it is just a temporary thing, maybe he is on holiday?

Best regards Keith
tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca »

Hi all,

A milestone was reached today. The Mint Folding Team has now gone below the 1000 mark. Our team is 999 out of a total of 180,141 teams world wide.

This is a huge achievement considering how small our team is in comparison to the teams above us.

How much further up the leader board we can go will depend on more Mint users joining us. It really is "the more the merrier".

Congratulations to the whole "Mint Team", well done.

Best regards Keith
Txnca

Post by Txnca »

Great! Glad to have helped a little bit with that achievement.

Would have been more, but when I started doing it on my desktop, I found that I had a heat issue. It is now sitting idle while I wait for the cooler to get here.

So I started doing it on my laptop, which is where all the points I have came from. Unfortunately, the drive in my laptop went a couple of days ago! I don't know whether to laugh or cry at this point! :lol: :cry:

Right now I am using the livecd of Mint to log on as it is the only way I can use my laptop. To say the least it has been an exciting few weeks now!

Hopefully it will all start going better shortly!

Steve

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”