[SOLVED] Installing downloaded tar.gz

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
NeoDarko

[SOLVED] Installing downloaded tar.gz

Post by NeoDarko »

Hi, my first post and just need a little explanation.

I decided to install Mint 8 dual booted with my Windows 7 operating system, all went perfectly until i finished the Mint 8 install and tried to boot into windows 7, wouldn't let me but read somewhere that booting into the Win 7 boot cd and choosing repair would sort it out... it worked first time.

Ok so up until now everything has been running perfectly, i was able to connect to the internet straight away when Mint 8 loaded, it also downloaded some Nvidia drivers for me so i could use all the eye candy for desktop. Also lots of other nice touches. Amazing.

Anyway, i attempted to play one of my HD Movies from my hard disk (Windows partition), i just used the normal Mplayer that came with Mint 8 and to my surprise it started playing without downloading and installing any codecs, but the playback is not in fullscreen and lags/flickers.

Apparently Miro 3 is supposed to be the best for HD playback so i downloaded the file and now i just dont know what to do with it, iv extracted the files with archive manager and tried to double click some files that i hoped would install it... no luck.

I tried different things in the Synaptic Package Manager, no success there either.

I found a way to add some sort of APP url so that the program will download and install all newer versions automatically, but i dont like the idea of having to do this for every application i want to download, is it possible to download a file and install it somehow without using the Synaptic software, or using Synaptic to find my file and install it from there?

Other than this problem im absolutely loving Mint 8, nice change from Windows and great customizable options to boot.

Edit to add:

By the way iv searched everywhere for a solution to this, found some sort of answer by using the terminal (Using Ubuntu,different versions confuse me,not sure which one mint uses) but dont want to mess up anything, hope this isnt a complicated thing to do as i want to mainly download and install various apps on my own.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Kaye

Re: Installing downloaded tar.gz

Post by Kaye »

You might want to reconsider your statement about not wanting to use the package manager. When used correctly, the package manager is one of the biggest advantages that Linux has over Windows. For example, try opening up a terminal and typing this:

Code: Select all

apt install miro
This will download and install the video player you're looking for without you having to do anything else. Plus you're automatically notified of updates. Doesn't get much simpler than that.

Edit in response to your edit:

Remember that Linux is not Windows. The "download and install a file" mentality from Windows shouldn't be carried over into Linux. There are much better ways of doing things than what you're used to, it just takes a bit of learning.
NeoDarko

Post by NeoDarko »

Kaye wrote:You might want to reconsider your statement about not wanting to use the package manager. When used correctly, the package manager is one of the biggest advantages that Linux has over Windows. For example, try opening up a terminal and typing this:

Code: Select all

apt install miro
This will download and install the video player you're looking for without you having to do anything else. Plus you're automatically notified of updates. Doesn't get much simpler than that.

Edit in response to your edit:

Remember that Linux is not Windows. The "download and install a file" mentality from Windows shouldn't be carried over into Linux. There are much better ways of doing things than what you're used to, it just takes a bit of learning.
I understand what you mean, iv already done what you said but via GUI, i installed Miro 2.5 by doing this, but theres a newer version 3.0 and apparently 2.5 is the newest version according to Synaptic...its not.

Also does the same if i type:

"apt install miro" using the terminal.

There must be a way to install from the extracted file or original un-extracted file using the terminal or Synaptic?
Biker
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Biker »

Provided the dependencies are there, apt should install miro fine. However, the readme file in the gtk-x11 directory of the untarred tarball has more information on how to install as well.
Linux User #384279
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Go to this site, follow the instructions for adding the repo for Miro 3 (for Mint 8, use Ubuntu 9.10) and you will be able to get Miro 3 from Package Manager.

Or, you could install Mint 9. Miro 3 is in Package Manager already.
NeoDarko

Post by NeoDarko »

Biker wrote:Provided the dependencies are there, apt should install miro fine. However, the readme file in the gtk-x11 directory of the untarred tarball has more information on how to install as well.
Thanks for that info, found the readme file in the gtk directory and attempted what it said, but wouldnt let me, i tried editing the python file pointing some lines to my xrunner directory but i dont have all the requirements to build and run.

I found the PPA for 3.0 so just added that to my repositories, its downloaded a few things and all iv had to do was update miro-data manually, Miro 3.0 is now installed and working :).... i think i will find this way abit easier than getting all the required files seperately at the address the readme file pointed me to.

Thanks all for your help.

Aging Technogeek.

Pressed submit and your post has just appeared, for some reason i cant see the site youve posted but im guessing when i press submit again its probably the same one i found on google that has just worked for me :)
Also i didnt know there was a Mint 9, i thought i got the latest version from the LinuxMint site?

Edit to add:

Mint 9 not Miro 9 :oops:
Also i think you forgot to add the URL Technogeek, thought it was something to do with html links not showing up when a new post appears whilst replying.
Aging Technogeek

Re: [SOLVED] Installing downloaded tar.gz

Post by Aging Technogeek »

You are right. I was in a hurry to make an appointment and forgot the link. Here it is.

http://www.techdrivein.com/2010/04/inst ... buntu.html
cebalrai

Re: [SOLVED] Installing downloaded tar.gz

Post by cebalrai »

deleted

Return to “Beginner Questions”