Linux Mint 9 "Isadora" RC released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
blazemore

Re: Linux Mint 9 "Isadora" RC released!

Post by blazemore »

Does anyone know when we're likely to see a KDE release candidate?
I'm looking forward to testing.
Mint 7 KDE was the first KDE I liked.
Mint 8 KDE was amazing.
Mint 9 KDE stands to be perfect.

Does anyone know what KDE version it will be using?
distro hopper

Post by distro hopper »

I just noticed something.. When you open a virtual console (like ctrl-alt-F1) and login, the motd still says Welcome to Ubuntu.
scoon1329

Post by scoon1329 »

Firstly I'd like to say I'm really impressed with the RC, it's fantastically fast so well done all involved.

I have noticed a little bug. When I try to add a new Gnome Panel, space is reserved for it, but it seems to be invisible.

Other than that everything seems to be running perfectly so far :D

/Joe
MrD

Post by MrD »

Dell Inspiron 1520: Installed 9rc over existing Mint 8 "/" with a format, and kept my "/home" folder from before. installed pretty much the same programs, profiles still existing.

Boot is 22 seconds to login. Quit is in a couple of seconds usually.
initial install had an empty taskbar, no Menu, Time/Date, nothing. I had to get online and update Mint then reset for anything to appear in the taskbar
aMSN and Pidgin are slow to startup and appear on the screen
the new Firefox is really fast to open and operate.
The Brother MFC-210C drivers by Alien for my MFC-215C that worked in Mint 8 do not work any longer. I can't print.
Java not being installed is a pain when Flash is, it meant tvcatchup services like iplayer/4od/itvplayer did not work out of the box and I spent ages trying to figure out why.
Intel onboard video coding update seems to make things a bit clearer and responsive, although still not bothering turning effects on.
The new mintupdate symbol in the taskbar isn't as nice as the last one.
psychorat

Post by psychorat »

scoon1329 wrote:Firstly I'd like to say I'm really impressed with the RC, it's fantastically fast so well done all involved.

I have noticed a little bug. When I try to add a new Gnome Panel, space is reserved for it, but it seems to be invisible.

Other than that everything seems to be running perfectly so far :D

/Joe
I notice the same thing in Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, i suppose its ubuntu bug...
davorsite

Post by davorsite »

I have a small problem with Firefox under new Linux Mint 9 RC. On my laptop everything works perfectly, the laptop is Acer Travelmate 1.8GHz, 2GB Ram, an integrated graph, nothing special and everything works perfectly and I have enabled 'Extra' in Visual Effects and smoothly rotate all active windows, while on the AMD Athlon X2 4200 +, the same 2 GB Ram, NVidia GeForce 9800 GT all works somehow in slow motion and I think Firefox is the reason because it's "Firefox-bin" in the process through use around 60% of CPU power. What's the problem?
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Post by chiefjim »

Where is the "open as root" found in Mint 9? I often transfer files in and need to change the permissions.
Mint-21.0 Mate 64 bit / LMDE-5 64 bit
Gigabyte H370M D3H
Intel G3258
Crucial Ballistic Sport 32GB DDR4 2400
8TB HDD Seagate Baracuda 5400rpm
distro hopper

Post by distro hopper »

It is now 'Run/Open as administrator'
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Post by chiefjim »

I right click the folder, run as administrator is not there. If I click on the toolbar, run as administrator is not there.

So how do I access something that is not there?
Mint-21.0 Mate 64 bit / LMDE-5 64 bit
Gigabyte H370M D3H
Intel G3258
Crucial Ballistic Sport 32GB DDR4 2400
8TB HDD Seagate Baracuda 5400rpm
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

chiefjim wrote:I right click the folder, run as administrator is not there. If I click on the toolbar, run as administrator is not there.

So how do I access something that is not there?
Not too sure what to tell you. I open Nautilus, right-click on a folder and "Open as administrator" is 6th up from the bottom of the context menu (right under "Delete"). Same when right-clicking on a file. That's how I edit my "sysctrl.config" file for example.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

Has anyone noticed that the "Software Manager" is taking around 10-15 secs to open and around 5 to 8 secs to close since the last couple of rounds of updates. It was opening nice and quick yesterday morning. Synaptic on the other hand is opening within a couple of seconds after I click the icon in the Menu as normal. I've also noticed LM9 running a bit slower overall since the last couple of updates but I haven't been able to find a reason for it (level 1 to 3 updates only).
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
MintyFree

Post by MintyFree »

Anyone know how to make Mint 9 lighter and make PCManFM the default file manager? I hate Nautilus and my computer crashes constantly from the sheer heaviness of Gnome/Metacity. I like Gnome but it's so damn heavy, the Gnome that comes with XFCE is much better. Should I replace Pulse Audio? Ect...

A list of tweaks would be nice b/c I love Mint 9 and don't want to have to go back to Mint 8 XFCE.
alienpup

Post by alienpup »

johnsonm8741 wrote:...However, after clicking "try without installing" the screen goes blank and stays blank.
- Update: My mainboard has both VGA (analog) and DVI (digital) video outputs. I am presently using the DVI output. During loading of vmlinuz at boot, both LM 8 and LM 9 Live CDs default to the VGA output only. Video to the DVI connector is switched off. The boot process then also stalls, so the problem is a bit more complex.

- Original post:
Worse luck here.
- currently running LM 8 Fluxbox without problems.
- 32-bit iso checksum matches
- checksum of burn CD is matches

Whether permitted to boot automatically or by selection at the menu:
- RC1 begins to load vmlinuz, the progress "dots" halt, screen blanks and system stalls.
- same result if safe mode or CD integrity check selected.
- memtest86 option works as expected - no problems.

(Athlon 3200 w/1GB RAM, ATI video)
Last edited by alienpup on Fri May 07, 2010 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
chipps61

Post by chipps61 »

Wow! What a difference between Live CD and actual HD install for me! Several show stopper issues. i386 Mint 9 RC over top of i386 Mint 8 main (Gnome).

Here goes...

System: Toshiba Satellite A205-S5804 laptop, 2GB Ram, Intel Dual Core, Intel graphics, Realtek wireless, 500GB HD.

I am dual booting Vista and Mint (and am typing this from Vista for reasons that will become apparent in a minute). For this install, I used my Mint 8 swap, /, and /home partitions, knowing that I could revert back to 8 with a minimum of hassle if something went wrong. The installation itself went without a hitch, using manual partition setup with separate /, /home, and swap. Looked a lot like Mint 8 during the process, and when I was done and rebooted, Grub2 came up showing Mint 9 and Vista as expected. All was well. I chose the Mint 9 (non-recovery) boot, was greeted with a desktop that looked a lot like my old Mint 8 install, complete with working compiz from my 8 setup, etc, and thats where things became weird.

1. The bottom taskbar had literally nothing on it except the workspace switcher that I had from Mint 8. No start menu, no nothing, it was just blank. I manually added mint menu, the notification area so I could see the new "shield instead of lock", the clock, etc., so I could at least bring up a menu and function.

2. I immediately clicked on the shield and did the updates before doing anything else. No issues there, 24 of them, I believe. When that was done, I rebooted, and no change. Still nothing on the taskbar but what I'd manually added, system looked exactly as it had before I rebooted. Ok, so next.

3. Brought up the new Software Manager for the first time. Nice, lots of categories, it's cool you can just do a search in the upper right if you're not sure what category your app falls under, which is how I found the very first app I wanted, Wine 1.2. Clicked on it and got a nice window with a long description of what it was, and installed it. Got a progress bar at the bottom, went up to about 95%, then it disappeared. Waited a couple of minutes, nothing else happened. OK, I guess it's done. Close the window, check MintMenu.... yep, the Wine icon's back.... try to run the one Windows app I need... yep, works fine. Minimize it... point 4.

4. It just disappeared. Did not appear on the taskbar or anywhere else that I could see. Switched through all four workspaces, nope... it just isn't there. I run the app again, and it pops up immediately exactly where I was when I minimized, so it never left memory, it just didn't show in the taskbar as minimized. I fire up FireFox... browse a couple of websites... then minimize it. Same deal. Nothing on the taskbar. Firefox isn't like my Windows app, you click on it again, and it loads again... a new copy.

5. Rebooted again. Desktop identical to previous boot. Ok, lets try installing something else I need... in this case AMSN. Found in Software Manager the same way I found Wine 1.2, brought up the screen, hit install, nothing happened. Waited a few minutes, still nothing, closed Software Manager and brought up Synaptic. OK better, found it, installed it, all of which went just like it did in Mint 8. However, after install, it didn't show up under Internet or anywhere else that I could see in the Mint menu. Bring up a terminal. type in 'amsn'. It fires. OK, it's installed, it just doesn't show up on the menu. Close it, go kill it from Snyaptic. Bring the terminal up again. Do it the old fashioned way... 'sudo apt-get install amsn'. This works. it installs and it shows on the Mint Menu afterwards. Fire it up, all is good. But I minimize it, or a chat window, and again... nothing appears on the taskbar. What you just minimized disappears.

So at this point, unless someone has a clue what I did wrong, I really don't have much of a choice but to go back to my old rock solid Mint 8 until this gets sorted out. To summarize:

- No real "you're done" message or much of anything else from the new Software Manager when attempting to install something to figure out where you're at with the package in question.
- Stuff added from software manager or synaptic doesn't get added to Mint Menu as they did in 8.
- Stuff added from command line via apt-get DOES go where it should in the menu.
- Anything minimized disappears.

I hope this is the correct place to post this, if not, feel free to slap me upside the head. I'll now do Vista for a bit and read whatever comes back before I resort to a reinstall of 8. Thanks for listening, and hope this helps.
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

Does anyone know, for those of us who added the mirrors from medibuntu's site for the needed repos, if we are to leave it like that or add the repos as we normally would? I tried the quiet update option but had to go with adding the mirrors via sources list once that did not work. Thanks very much in advance. :wink:
pappfer

Post by pappfer »

z06gal wrote:Does anyone know, for those of us who added the mirrors from medibuntu's site for the needed repos, if we are to leave it like that or add the repos as we normally would? I tried the quiet update option but had to go with adding the mirrors via sources list once that did not work. Thanks very much in advance. :wink:
Why don't you just try? ;)

Anyway I'm using Ubuntu right now (until Mint final get released ;) ) and if I'm not mistaken I already changed it back to the original mirror and it works now perfectly.
-iceblade^

Post by -iceblade^ »

i have had a blast!

installed it on my netbook with no problems, and it booted quick: not the 8 minute boot 10.04 final had. it also managed to automount any plugged in drives i put in (again, one of my 10.04 installs failed to do that) and overall it's so beautiful

the software manager is very intuitive, and i might start to use that over Synaptic. it's also streamlined and quick. however, i couldn't get the system to keep my custom appearance settings (via CCSM) - it would apply them and then when i closed the appearance window it would not apply them. this was (the netbook has a GMA950 for video)

i was also disappointed to see that while the wallpaper selection is AWESOME and supplemented by the extras in the repos, the iconsets are few - specifically i'd like to see the blue iconset that was included in a release a while back - i think it was 6 or 5.

thank you so much to Clem and the rest of the team. the wait has been worth it, and again, this is more stable and better than Ubuntu :D.
Timmi

Post by Timmi »

Suggested improvement: resizing windows

This has been a problem for quite some time, the default distance before the corsor starts to snap to the edge.

I am aware there is surely a place in the settings... embedded in there somewhere, to change this. HOWEVER, currently, you need to be right over the pixel, precisely, before the resize handle appears. This is wayyy too sensitive and presents quite a challenge with any mouse or pointing device. And it should be changed by default at the source (so we don't have thousands of Mint users who need to change it manually, many of which are noobs and will try to live with the problem).
msm

Post by msm »

kmb42vt wrote:Has anyone noticed that the "Software Manager" is taking around 10-15 secs to open and around 5 to 8 secs to close since the last couple of rounds of updates. It was opening nice and quick yesterday morning. Synaptic on the other hand is opening within a couple of seconds after I click the icon in the Menu as normal. (level 1 to 3 updates only).
Yup, same here - except it takes up to 30 secs for it to open.
ej64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ej64 »

chipps61 wrote: So at this point, unless someone has a clue what I did wrong, I really don't have much of a choice but to go back to my old rock solid Mint 8 until this gets sorted out.
I've got a solution! :D

I had the same troubles after backing up my Mint8 /home and restoring it after a fresh install of Mint9. The problems are caused by all the hidden old configuration files within your /home-directory that don't match any more. Initially, before restoring, my Mint9 was glorious and anything worked fine as far as I saw.

Having nothing to loose, I deleted all hidden files within my home directory. This seem to set all configurations to their defaults. To delete the hidden files and directories in Nautilus choose the menu entry View/Show Hidden Files, mark them and press delete.

For me this did the trick and anything works fine since then. But look out and backup all sensitive data before.

Good luck!
Eberhard
Thinkpad X220 with Samsung SSD running Xubuntu 13.04
I'm getting old gladly -- I don't like to die young ...

Return to “Releases & Announcements”