Help! Upgraded mint package & installed ugly splashes!

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vlovjz

Help! Upgraded mint package & installed ugly splashes!

Post by vlovjz »

Hello,

I recently upgraded a few packages, and now the Gimp and Open Office splash screens have been replaced by (I assume newer) uglier ones. I unfortunately don't remember which package I installed that did this, but I would really like to roll back to the original splash screens if possible. I've tried replacing them manually, but they keep reverting to the newer ones. Please help!

Regards,

Tim

**EDIT: I should probably point out that the images I've tried replacing are /usr/share/gimp/2.0/images/gimp-splash.png and /user/lib/openoffice/program/openabout_ubuntu_sun.bmp & openintro_ubuntu_sun.bmp
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vlovjz

Re: Help! Upgraded mint package & installed ugly splashes!

Post by vlovjz »

Is there a way to search through packages by what they install? For instance, could I use some type of command to find what package was installed by entering the complete filename (e.g. /usr/share/gimp/2.0/images/gimp-splash.png)?
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

Synaptic will show you a list of all installed files by a particular package. (Enable the properties tab, Preferences -> General -> Appearance). Then click on the Installed Files tab.
vlovjz

Post by vlovjz »

Thanks curmudgeon. I have tried to find the package that way, but so far no luck. I either want to find a way to remove the package (if any) that caused this splash screen switch, or replace the splash screens without them being switched back to the ugly ones every time I restart the computer.

Thanks for your input,

Tim
vlovjz

Post by vlovjz »

Is there no way to permanently replace the splash screens I mentioned?
vlovjz

Post by vlovjz »

Uhm... I'm going to bump this one more time in case someone knows the answer to this.
cereal.kkiller

Post by cereal.kkiller »

I'm interested in that too....

Return to “Beginner Questions”