where is the taskmanager??

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
trueleowdeo

where is the taskmanager??

Post by trueleowdeo »

today firefox crashed and i could not close the offending process because its window was invisible. In windows, all i would do is press ctl alt del and just stop the process.
I know that you can probably kill a process from the commandline, but i am more interested in some kind of taskmanager gui similar to the one in windows xp and a commandline option as the last choice.

Thanks in advance :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
markcynt

Re: where is the taskmanager??

Post by markcynt »

System Monitor is what your looking for.

It's installed by default in Mint.
DataMan

Post by DataMan »

Additionally, there is a "widget" that you can install to either a panel or the desktop to facilitate killing "misbehaving" apps.

-DataMan
markcynt

Post by markcynt »

If you're talking about "Force Quit", it's only for open windows.
BigSteve_G

Post by BigSteve_G »

If your after something were you can use [CTRL] - [ALT] & [DELete] to bring up something like Windows taskmanger heres the way I went about it;

click on the MENU - PREFERENCES - KEYBOARD SHORTCUTS
click ADD, give it a name & for the command enter gnome-system-monitor
scroll down to the name you've just given it (under Custom shortcuts)
click on the name at the end of the line were it says 'Disabled' and press the key combo' you want to use

If you've got KDE installed use ksysguard instead of gnome-system-monitor as it seems more powerful.

- Hope this helps

(if Linux goes wrong & straight away you want to CTRL - ALT - DELETE things it could be a side effect of Windowsitus :-)
Kaye

Post by Kaye »

I know you said you weren't interested in the command line, but I just thought I should post this so that you know how easy it is to do this using the terminal. All you have to do is open one up and type

Code: Select all

pkill <name of process>
That's it. So, for your case earlier today, all you would have to do is open a terminal and type

Code: Select all

pkill firefox
The coolest part about pkill is that you don't have to know the exact process name.. If the name you supply is at all included in the actual process name, it'll be killed instantly (for example, typing pkill fire would also kill a Firefox process).

If you think about it, it's really much easier to do that than spend the time opening a GUI and hunting around for the right process. Just a thought :wink:
papuccino1

Post by papuccino1 »

Hi there!

In Linux it's much easier to kill erratic processes. Press Alt+F2 and type in "gnome-terminal" to open a Terminal window.

In there you can type in "killall firefox" to kill everything associated with that process. Pretty neat and simple right?

Return to “Beginner Questions”