Please help me install the latest Firefox

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Viper2

Please help me install the latest Firefox

Post by Viper2 »

Ok I added this PPA: https://launchpad.net/~mozillateam/+arc ... fox-stable

This is what I did:

1. I entered

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mozillateam/firefox-stable
in the terminal.

2. Then I entered

sudo apt-get update
in the terminal.

I restarted Firefox but it's still version 3.5.8. So what do I have to do to get version 3.6.3?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
hemimaniac

Re: Please help me install the latest Firefox

Post by hemimaniac »

you would do;

sudo apt-get update

then

sudo apt-get install firefox-3.6 (or other version number ie. 3.7 etc etc)
Viper2

Post by Viper2 »

I did this:

sudo apt-get install firefox-3.6
but my Firefox is still version 3.5.8. I even tried logging out and back in, still the same version. What am I doing wrong?
hemimaniac

Post by hemimaniac »

then do

sudo apt-get install firefox-3.7 (this is beta and unfinished)

also try going thru synaptic to see if firefox 3.6 and up is even listed

(not sure why, firefox packages are bundled for a reason, security and stability)
Viper2

Post by Viper2 »

Yes, Firefox 3.6 is on Synaptic. It says it's installed. But there are other 3.6 packages also. Which all do I have to select? And do I have to remove any 3.5.8 packages?

Thanks.
hemimaniac

Post by hemimaniac »

look in Menu > Internet you should have Firefox and Namoroka, Namoroka is 3.6
vincent

Post by vincent »

Fastest way: Open up mintUpdate and install all Firefox-related packages. Done! ;)
vincent

Post by vincent »

I have no aversion to GUI-based apps, but I like efficiency. That's why when it's simply more efficient to do stuff from the command line, I prefer to use the terminal. ;)

Say, you could also try Ailurus out, it's similar to Ubuntu Tweak.
Kaye

Post by Kaye »

zerokool wrote:viper2 better still use Ubuntu Tweak, rather than go to absurd lengths as above :roll:

here you go pal http://ubuntu-tweak.com/ you will see that this amazing app will let you add all sorts of apps and sources, some are for testing like cutting edge ppa's but there are many 'stable' sources and builds available, hope this is a nice simple method for you as opposed to the absurd lengths the server room geeks will go to to avoid clicking on a mouse in case they get an allergic reaction to actually using a modern day GUI based app :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Please explain how opening Ubuntu Tweak, hunting through it for the (correct) Mozilla repo, then closing Tweak, opening Synaptic, searching for Firefox 3.6, then installing it from that GUI is easier than typing

sudo su & add-apt-repository ppa:mozillateam/firefox-stable & apt update & apt install firefox-3.6
I eagerly await your response :)
FedoraRefugee

Post by FedoraRefugee »

Kaye wrote:Please explain how opening Ubuntu Tweak, hunting through it for the (correct) Mozilla repo, then closing Tweak, opening Synaptic, searching for Firefox 3.6, then installing it from that GUI is easier than typing

sudo su & add-apt-repository ppa:mozillateam/firefox-stable & apt update & apt install firefox-3.6
I eagerly await your response :)
Type ALL THAT??? :shock:

Lol, I would just copy the command you so thoughtfully provided and paste it in! :wink:

Let's see, about 1 second to find and open the terminal (I have a launcher, of course) and give it another very liberal 5 seconds to copy and paste, maybe another 5 to type my password...Computer has to think...thinking...thinking...Done!

And he was still trying to find Tweak in his menu...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Beginner Questions”