Ubuntu One???

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

Ubuntu one for Mint KDE?

Poll ended at Thu May 20, 2010 6:24 pm

Yes
41%
No
59%

Total votes: 22

Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Ubuntu One???

Post by Boo »

OK everyone a question to all who are interested in Ubuntu One on KDE. (see one.ubuntu.com)

First of all it is not on KDE by default via app/client.

1. So do do people want the client installed?

the only apps the can use the music store are rythmbox and banshee but they are not installed (so far).

2. Do you want a(nother) music client installed? (see above 2)

3. can we rationalise all these music and video apps or just say woot the more the better?

EDIT: Resutls are in: I will keep Ubuntu One off for now.
Although I would like to put it in, I would like it to be integrated with a KDE4 music app first.

Cheers
Boo
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Catmint

Re: Ubuntu One???

Post by Catmint »

Personally, I don't care about Ubuntu One or music clients.
keljaden

Post by keljaden »

Long as everything is under 3 gigs...WOOT!!!

I like rhythm box the most as it works with the media buttons on my keyboard and it doesn't crash on me like amarok does (and yes I reported the bug) , but banshee isn't bad either.

Personally I don't use ubuntu one though, if other people want, and we can keep the DVD image under 3GB I am cool with it.

Thanks for asking for our input on all of these decisions boo, it shows us you really care about your user base ,and it's one of the main reasons why Linux Mint is the best distro ever.
kage

Post by kage »

Hi Boo,

Yes PLEASE!

kage
CDS

Post by CDS »

Yes-Ubuntu One
CDS
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Carl »

I see no reason why not to include Ubuntu One =]

I say yes :D
Andrew33

Post by Andrew33 »

It wouldn't matter to me either way, I don't really download any kind of music, unless it's Christian music...that's just me :?

Andrew
GhoS

Post by GhoS »

I only say yes because it seems it would better to have the option there right away rather than having to download and add it. I'm not yet sure whether I will use the service, although it is free to subscribe at least.
rec9140

Post by rec9140 »

Boo wrote:1. So do do people want the client installed?
Absolutely, NOT.
Boo wrote: 2. Do you want a(nother) music client installed? (see above 2)
3. can we rationalise all these music and video apps or just say woot the more the better?
WOOT WOOT WOOT The MORE the BETTER.. sans anything that requires mono diseases or WINE.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

Boo, I think you should include some cloud storage integration, if not U1 then perhaps dropbox. Not sure if the ub music store plugin for Amarok is ever going to get off the ground so I guess banshee would have to replace it in order to have the store integrated. The social integration should also be left in some form as this has become a routine part of many (especially younger) users online life.

I know many users decry having these things in by default, perhaps seeing them as attempts to emulate MS or Apple, but it seems to me many users, especially those new to a distro, make a judgement based on what is there by default and don't necessarily want the perceived 'hassle' of setting things up themselves. As you may be aware, a lot of people increasingly see computers as an appliance and may not care (or even understand the difference) what OS is on it as long as it does the things they want it to. This is why I think Clem has made a mistake in removing these things from main as it makes it look like a poor second cousin to lucid IMO.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
mat000

Post by mat000 »

Hi!

No Ubuntu One, please!
And rationalising music and video apps is a nice way to go ;)
feed3
Level 4
Level 4

Post by feed3 »

1st thing 1st, ubuntu one is easily extremely easily accessible through web browser, why dont just put it as bookmark in FF by default?

@ no 2, not agreed to add banshee nor rythmbox but for the movie player, yes, more is better.
remoulder wrote:The social integration should also be left in some form as this has become a routine part of many (especially younger) users online life.
dont know if it is that easy (and usefull :roll: ) to integrate gnome applet into KDE.. is it doable? is it worthy?
remoulder wrote:This is why I think Clem has made a mistake in removing these things from main as it makes it look like a poor second cousin to lucid IMO.
this is for kde edition, why dont you throw your frustration of that issues directly personally to clem? instead of bragging bout it everywhere in this forum.still cant understand, it is JUST 15KB package after all! :?: and have an issues related to auto log-in (sorry if it has been solved and i didnt noticed it).
rec9140

Post by rec9140 »

remoulder wrote:This is why I think Clem has made a mistake in removing these things from main as it makes it look like a poor second cousin to lucid IMO.
This statement I could not agree with more....
remoulder wrote:I know many users decry having these things in by default,
My only requirements is that NO mono disease is included, or any programs/software that would require that infection. And that WINE not be included by default as the win virus API is nothing but a security risk in the making..

For the most part throw everything and the kitchen sink in .... acroread, VMWare Player or Sever (no, the others don't even qualify. If they meet your needs great, but I will use the creator and leader of virtualization, and their FREE too. (NOTE: free has only one meaning NO COST.)), most current OpenOffice, throw in 50 media players if theres room, but some will fail the rule above..

remoulder wrote:especially those new to a distro, make a judgement based on what is there by default and don't necessarily want the perceived 'hassle' of setting things up themselves. As you may be aware, a lot of people increasingly see computers as an appliance and may not care (or even understand the difference) what OS is on it as long as it does the things they want it to.
This is what the "CD Only" crowd does not understand.. new converts or potential converts need to have as much ready to go from the get go or they will regress. Power users also don't want to have to rework all the stuff they need.. Thus a DVD with its space can strike a fair balance and include the basics every one needs, and some for the power users, and some extras for the power users...
remoulder wrote:The social integration should also be left in some form as this has become a routine part of many (especially younger) users online life.
Opinion below.. best to stop reading here for some........

This is where I have to say we are going to disagree, period. I see no benefits to any of this "social intergration." Thats why the KDE 4 devs and any others can spout off about this "feature" all you want. Its garbage and worthless as far as I am concerned...and a HUGE TURN OFF. Its a security risk from a personal standpoint, just look over the tech news, as well as comments by certain operators CEO's about "privacy." (Why I don't use any of these sites..I get request after request, and I ignore them.) It an abuse point for another in the workplace... This is one of the few things I block from an IT Admin point.. its also an on the spot termination offense, no ifs, no ands, no buts, your gone... I don't need to have to clean this crap out of the OS from the start...
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

Ubuntu One??? No, not by default, please.
Truthfinder

Post by Truthfinder »

Don't use it so I really don't see any need for it on the dvd.
Catmint

Post by Catmint »

rec9140 wrote:My only requirements is that NO mono disease is included, or any programs/software that would require that infection. And that WINE not be included by default as the win virus API is nothing but a security risk in the making.
I also wouldn't want to have any Java disease installed by default, on top of that.
It's always the first thing I uninstall (when it gets installed in the first place).
rec9140 wrote:For the most part throw everything and the kitchen sink in .... acroread
Hell no! :shock: That acroread garbage is by far the very last thing I would want to have installed :evil:
thenewguy

Re: Ubuntu One?

Post by thenewguy »

I'm voting "no". I don't really have anything against Ubuntu One, but since I don't use it, I'd rather it not be installed by default. I assume it can be installed from the repositories if people want it.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

feed3 wrote:why dont you throw your frustration of that issues directly personally to clem? instead of bragging bout it everywhere in this forum
@Feed3, Not sure why you seem to be making a personal issue out of this, I've noticed this on other posts too, but perhaps you'd be better taking a little nap after school to give your hormones a rest? If you don't agree with my posts that's fine, but if you have nothing constructive to say then written garbage is no substitute. Post reported.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
feed3
Level 4
Level 4

Post by feed3 »

remoulder wrote: @Feed3, Not sure why you seem to be making a personal issue out of this, I've noticed this on other posts too,
no offense, but i do think you are the one who take it personally tho.. :)
remoulder wrote:but perhaps you'd be better taking a little nap after school to give your hormones a rest?
1. i'm finishing my degree errr, 4 years ago so, no "school" for me anymore although this place is the place for me to "study" at the moment.. :)
remoulder wrote: If you don't agree with my posts that's fine.
yes, dont agree with it. am disagree with RESPECT before this for your opinion at the other thread but right now, since you dont seem to respect the others, dont even care to know what section you throw your post at, cant see how i'm gonna respect you anymore.. :? and doesnt seem i am the only one who cant agree with your post tho..
remoulder wrote: but if you have nothing constructive to say then written garbage is no substitute.
:shock: feel free to say so, one of your finger pointing at me but your other fingers is pointing at yourself tho.. :)
remoulder wrote: Post reported.
fine then, be happy.. :) @ forum moderator, if you feel my post was a garbage as well, feel free to delete it but i do think you also know why i'm posting it, remoulder keep complaining about the social integration in MAIN EDITION, but this is kde section, i still believe there's a logic behind my post.. :) i believe i seldom post a "garbage" in this place tho..
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

feed3 wrote:remoulder keep complaining about the social integration in MAIN EDITION, but this is kde sectio
Please point out in my post where a) I was complaining and b) mentioned gnome?

For those who dislike the thought of social networking features, here is a quote from today's BBC news website
The average surfer spends 22 hours and 15 minutes on the net each month, according to the UK Online Measurement company (UKOM).

The lion's share of that time is spent on social networks or blogs, which accounts for nearly a quarter of users' time online.

Instant messaging (IM) has been one of the victims of social network growth.

Three years ago 14% of online time was spent using IM but that has fallen to just 5%.

But e-mail, also predicted to suffer as more people used Facebook and its rivals, is still healthy and accounts for 7.2% of time compared to 6.5% of time three years ago.

Networking, communication and playing games remain the most popular online activities
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/10122834.stm
IOW, just because you may not use or like it doesn't mean the majority of (potential) users agree.

Return to “Software & Applications”