[SOLVED] LM9: What happened to Services?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
SiKing
Level 5
Level 5

[SOLVED] LM9: What happened to Services?

Post by SiKing » Thu May 06, 2010 1:50 am

I stick to LTS releases, so I have been running Elyssa up until now.
Just tried Isadora, only the liveCD. I tried to find, what used to be, Administration > Services. The tool where you turn on/off services such as Samba and all that other good stuff that runs in the background. However, in Isadora I could not find this. Am I missing something?
Last edited by SiKing on Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: LM9 - What happened to Services?

Post by remoulder » Thu May 06, 2010 9:04 am

[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

SiKing
Level 5
Level 5

Re: LM9 - What happened to Services?

Post by SiKing » Thu May 13, 2010 10:38 am

So I bit the bullet and installed LM9RC on my live machine. Found out part of my answer:
What used to be Services has been removed? Things are now automatically started when you ask for them, just as they always were. So as an example, if you want your clocks synchronized with time servers, the NTP system will be automatically installed and started for you. So the only remaining question is: what do I do if for some reason I want to stop the service? At this point the only thing that I can think of is to outright uninstall it ... which seems a little overkill.

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Re: LM9: What happened to Services?

Post by altair4 » Thu May 13, 2010 12:40 pm

Administration > Services ( services-admin ) has been removed because Ubuntu changed to "upstart" to manage most services:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p= ... ostcount=4

If you need to temporarily modify the status of a service you can do it from the command line. For samba for example:

sudo service smbd status
sudo service smbd stop
sudo service smbd start
sudo service smbd restart
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

SiKing
Level 5
Level 5

Re: LM9: What happened to Services?

Post by SiKing » Thu May 13, 2010 9:06 pm

So even with all the "improvements" and "more user friendliness" you still can't get away from the command line. The more things change, the more they stay the same ... :lol:
I don't mean that as a bad thing. Linux, at least for me, right from the start is a system that forces you to know what is going on "under the hood", and I have no problem with that; hence all my other questions elsewhere.

sadie
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED] LM9: What happened to Services?

Post by sadie » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:51 am

"This disc contains a "UDF" file system and requires an operating system that supports the ISO-13346 "UDF" file system specification."

Now, I understand that WMVHD stands for something like "Windows Mediaplayer Video High Definition" so I might just be SOL since it's a MS product, but I was curious if anybody knows of a work around in Mint?

It should be a well known codec (Windows Media Player 9) and format (since it's an ISO standard) I'd think but I could be wrong. Apparently, from my searches on the web, Microsoft is starting to make more disks in this format too so someone should be working on it.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Return to “Installation & Boot”