Linux Mint 9 "Isadora" RC released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
Andersony

Re: Linux Mint 9 "Isadora" RC released!

Post by Andersony »

Is one of the remaining bugs related to the RAID controller on nforce motherboards (like 680i). I can't install Isadora on a RAID 0 strip set ... but i can with Helena.... ?

-Andersony
mmesantos1

Post by mmesantos1 »

feed3 wrote:
mmesantos1 wrote:2nd issue when compiz is on and i change my mouse x11 theme I cannot se it change it allways stays the default white mouse pointer, though when i take a screen shot I can see the mouse pointer that I selected. It does not matter if I restart the PC or just the x-session. Also if my mouse is in an active window in most cases I will see the correct mouse theme. Not sure how to fix these issues on my own. SO far everything else seems to be working fine.
@mmesantos, dont know if you had found out how to fix it yet but in case if you haven't, or maybe anyone out there who use compiz and had same problem, here is one workaround from here;

1. Download cursor pack.
2. Extract it as root to /usr/share/icons
3. Edit as root the index.theme file located in usr/share/icons/default
4. Change the line Inherits= to the name of your new icon theme
it works for me.. cheers.. :)
Thanks feed3, just what I was looking for. :D
michael.conner

Post by michael.conner »

Someone else mentioned the lack of "format volume" when right-clicking on a disk on the desktop. "Unmount" also seems to now be missing as an option.
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

Oh, and another problem mounting my nfs share.

I installed nfs-common, then create a mount point, the try to mount

sudo mount -t nfs 192.168.1.150:/mnt/FreeNAS_JBOD /media/NAS

and I get the following error

mount.nfs: rpc.statd is not running but is required for remote locking.
mount.nfs: Either use '-o nolock' to keep locks local, or start statd.

It works if I use the -o nolock option, but what's with the statd error, I thought that wasn't needed with NFSv4?

Are what are the consequences (if any) of using -o nolock?
Last edited by Lolo Uila on Sat May 15, 2010 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

michael.conner wrote:Someone else mentioned the lack of "format volume" when right-clicking on a disk on the desktop. "Unmount" also seems to now be missing as an option.
Mount/unmount is still there for me for my Windows partition but for external drives or thumb drives for example unmount has been replaced by either "Safely remove drive" or "eject" in the context menu. Optical drives only have "eject" as an option. Serves the same purpose and probably will be more familiar for Windows "converts" (the more the merrier). :D
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
Catmint

Post by Catmint »

AkiraXXX wrote:Experiences With Isadora RC 1

Beefs:
1) Where is the "Burn" visual effect in Compiz? Am I missing something. I hope so because that was my favorite. First they take away "Busy Spheres" screensaver and now this!? xxx!? Tell me I'm missing something.
Mint-specific problem. In (K)ubuntu 10.04, the "Burn" effect is there just fine.
Any other effects you're missing?
MrD

Post by MrD »

Dell Inspiron 1520 with Broadcom wifi, using STA driver. Closing my laptops lid and then reopening, putting my password in and having to wait endlessly for my wireless to reconnect, sometimes succeeding, sometimes failing, is bugging me. When it succeeds, it prompts a popup with security level and password, which is already filled in, requiring me to merely hit the "Connect" button, but still, it's annoying and wasting a lot of time. It's actually faster to reboot my laptop and get back on the wireless, with the wireless connecting even before the desktop has fully realised.
beefstu

Post by beefstu »

AkitaXXX you need to install compiz extra plugins for things like that, they wearnt installed by default this time.
frsu

Post by frsu »

At the moment I use Mint 8 Helena Gnome on my Asus Eee 1000H and it works fine. I tried Mint 9 RC Live USB. With the Live USB wireless is not working, although several networks, including mine, are visible. Entering password does not give a connection.

After install the same problem. After downloading and installing the updates same problem. After repair broken packages via Recovery it started instantly......once, for just a few minutes. After that no more wireless connection and the same situation as mentioned above. :?

I installed Mint 8 again. :? But I realise that 9RC is not final. :D

I have seen on several forums more problems with wireless with the new Lucid...... :(. Does this problem have the attention from the Mint developers, or are they waiting for a solution from the Ubuntu developers?
MintyFree

Post by MintyFree »

frsu wrote:At the moment I use Mint 8 Helena Gnome on my Asus Eee 1000H and it works fine. I tried Mint 9 RC Live USB. With the Live USB wireless is not working, although several networks, including mine, are visible. Entering password does not give a connection.

After install the same problem. After downloading and installing the updates same problem. After repair broken packages via Recovery it started instantly......once, for just a few minutes. After that no more wireless connection and the same situation as mentioned above. :?

I installed Mint 8 again. :? But I realise that 9RC is not final. :D

I have seen on several forums more problems with wireless with the new Lucid...... :(. Does this problem have the attention from the Mint developers, or are they waiting for a solution from the Ubuntu developers?
I heard it was only a problem in the Lucid Beta/RC but they fixed it when the official came out. If that's right then the wifi issue will most likely be patched when Mint 9 is officially released. Alternatively you could hunt down the patch for it that Ubuntu made and put it on your RC.
PcPixel

Post by PcPixel »

UPDATE on maximus not working in LinuxMint 9 RC.

It turns out this is a known issue in Ubuntu 10.04:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/552297

I did as the person suggested and manually added a startup entry and maximus works perfectly. My Asus Eee 1000HEB rocks!!
Luca

Post by Luca »

I wrote small review of Linux Mint RC for mu blog, it's in russian, but have got good screenshot.
ronbo191

Post by ronbo191 »

I sure hope I can get the sound working with this version on my Toshiba P-105 laptop. I never got it working with the Mint 8 version. Guess I'll find out in a week or so.
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

Luca wrote:I wrote small review of Linux Mint RC for mu blog, it's in russian, but have got good screenshot.
Sorry you had such a crappy experience with Mint. Nice anti-linux propaganda site though. I've got roughly the same hardware as you but have never had such problems as you described in your blog post. I could have produced similar results in those screen shots with any graphic editor too! It's probably those faulty russian chipsets you use.
Last edited by curmudgeon on Sat May 15, 2010 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
feed3
Level 4
Level 4

Post by feed3 »

Luca wrote:I wrote small review of Linux Mint RC for mu blog, it's in russian, but have got good screenshot.
ouchhh.. :shock: so ugly screenshot there.. no wonder why you LOVE winds so much! LOL :lol: i bet there's some "wires" missing from your head? :lol:
seriously, i dont CARE TO hate winds or any other OS, in fact, multi-booting linux and winds here, and use it (had to.. :cry: ) at workplace, but i do REALLY2 HATE fanboys! especially the stupid one that dont even know how to run synaptic!!! WTH.. you said what? winds never get slow down?? heck.. dont simply think other users fool enough.. Go To H..L mint is not a tin and trash, not even winds..it is people like YOU is a tin and trash! have fun with your foolishness.. :D
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

I certainly hope that it's because I'm using Google Translate to render this into English but:
Recall that this distribution based on Ubuntu, its actually being a separate assembly with blackjack and whores, ...
I think that's a little over the top :lol:
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
MintyFree

Post by MintyFree »

altair4 wrote:
I certainly hope that it's because I'm using Google Translate to render this into English but:
Recall that this distribution based on Ubuntu, its actually being a separate assembly with blackjack and whores, ...
I think that's a little over the top :lol:
I dunno what's up with the Russian dude being anti-linux. Being Anti-Linux is like being Anti-Freedom. Hm....maybe he's Zombie-Stalin back from the dead! XD
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

Just installed the RC for Mint 9. I was definitely struck with the dreaded nVidia boot problem. In order to get Mint 9 to install I had to use this boot parameter to get the live CD to boot.

Code: Select all

i915.modeset=0 xforcevesa
Thanks to the forum member who posted it. After that I was able to install, but upon first boot I was greeted with a black screen again. I tried the same command as a boot parameter again, but it did not work. After a little digging online I found another boot parameter that worked.

Code: Select all

nomodeset
I got rid of "quiet splash" and used this, and was able to boot into Mint 9. Once booted in I installed the nVidia restricted driver, and everything is fine now. It is no longer necessary to use any additional boot parameters.

I bring this up, because for a less experienced user with nVidia graphics this is going to be a show stopper. Hopefully this can be fixed for the final release.
mack_guy911

Post by mack_guy911 »

your site contain some miscellaneous code or script blocked by my gateway..........please i want to warn user not to click anything that was posted on thread also to moderates to check sites links time to time :)
MrD

Post by MrD »

I've been experiencing internet issues since soon after upgrading to the RC, I am using the Broadcom STA driver. On Mint 8 the driver worked for me flawlessly hence why I continued to use it. At first the new Firefox build was great, but after a while I started experiencing slowdowns and pages timing out. I don't know if it is to do with updates since I installed (levels 1-3) or breakdown of the driver. I did try resetting my router a few times and considered whether it was getting too old and problematic (the ethernet works fine) but finally decided to remove STA and install the primary driver available and speeds and response of Firefox have shot up instantly back to where they should be.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”