e-sword

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
jesica

e-sword

Post by jesica »

build in e-sword for mint with option to add more bible how about that idea
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Re: e-sword

Post by Carl »

staffie wrote:build in e-sword for mint with option to add more bible how about that idea
I highly doubt that e-sword would make it into the default application set of Linux Mint as not everyone would appreciate it :wink:

although I don't see why it's not in the default repo :?

*EDIT*

Ahhh it is dependent on a windows OS so you have to use wine, now I know why it's not in the repo :roll:
Kaye

Post by Kaye »

You tried this before. Mint doesn't need to come packaged with the bible, the quran, ancient Greek mythology, or any other religious association.
ell02

Post by ell02 »

xiphos
FedoraRefugee

Post by FedoraRefugee »

Either way, as a Christian I agree with Kaye. It does not need to be in the default ISO for ANY reason! Just install it yourself.
jesica

Post by jesica »

Xiphos is the best and I reckon in the world we live in today we all need the bible and can learn from it
Last edited by jesica on Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
vincent

Post by vincent »

staffie wrote:Xiphos is the best and I reckon in the world we live in today we all need the bible and can learn from it
Not everybody is Christian, and not everybody feels the need to read the Bible. If you do, great, install it yourself. I'll echo the above sentiments though...we don't need to have any religious components pre-installed in a Linux distro like Mint. If you want to advocate for your religion, Mint is the wrong place to do so.
OldManHook

Post by OldManHook »

Why not just use Christian Ubuntu or roll your own? :idea:
monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy »

Kaye wrote:You tried this before. Mint doesn't need to come packaged with the bible, the quran, ancient Greek mythology, or any other religious association.
Kaye is right, this whole thing has been done already. Anybody want to bet it accomplishes as much as it did last time?
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

Oh no, out of pity, no religious things here neither in Mint or any system. Very bad idea... :evil:
staffie wrote:I reckon in the world we live in today we all need the bible and can learn from it
Oh no. Religion is one of the worst stupidities invented by humans and (probably) one of those who made the greatest number of deaths in human history, and which still continues...
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
den1m

Post by den1m »

OldManHook wrote:Why not just use Christian Ubuntu or roll your own? :idea:
HolyBuntu

With this background:

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h55/c ... /Jesus.jpg
den1m

Post by den1m »

linuxviolin wrote:Oh no, out of pity, no religious things here neither in Mint or any system. Very bad idea... :evil:
staffie wrote:I reckon in the world we live in today we all need the bible and can learn from it
Oh no. Religion is one of the worst stupidities invented by humans and (probably) one of those who made the greatest number of deaths in human history, and which still continues...
100% agreed... I would boycott mint if it rolls out as jesusmint.

But ecalibre for ebooks might be nice to include though. Ebooks are pretty common now.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

den1m wrote:But ecalibre for ebooks might be nice to include though. Ebooks are pretty common now.
I don't like Calibre, it's relatively crappy. There is not many e-book readers but if you want to include one, why not, then think to FBReader...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

Back to this topic, just a quote from one of our great men:
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weakness, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still purely primitive, legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this.
Albert Einstein, in a letter to Erik Gutkind (Jan. 3, 1954)
Anthorn

Post by Anthorn »

There is already a Bible. There are a lot of applications not installed but can be installed at the click of the mouse: Software Manager > Bibletime which uses the eSword Project libraries additionally installed along with Bibletime is one of them. After installing go to Settings > Bookshelf Manager in Bibletime and you can download loads of titles mainly older non-copyright from Crosswire Bible Society straight into Bibletime. I have the KJV Bible, Strong's Hebrew and Greek, Easton, Smith and Webster dictionaries as well as the ESV Bible!

Personally, I see no need for eSword to be built into the default Mint because it's already there. All it takes is a minute or two to install it! As previously stated, not everyone will have a use for it.
plmanser

Post by plmanser »

jesica wrote:build in e-sword for mint with option to add more bible how about that idea
You don't need an application for bible study. Just visit http://www.biblegateway.com/.

It has a wealth of alternative bible translations, search features, and commentary material, doesn't require any installation or disk space, and is OS independent.
darethehair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darethehair »

plmanser wrote:You don't need an application for bible study. Just visit http://www.biblegateway.com/
I also think that BibleGateway is an excellent online bible resource! Here is another one: not so much 'multiversion' but a great resource:

http://net.bible.org
There is nothing more dangerous than a bored cat.
frankcox

Post by frankcox »

linuxviolin wrote:Oh no, out of pity, no religious things here neither in Mint or any system. Very bad idea... :evil:
Staffle:
Perhaps you need to read a history book. First of all to claim Christianity is man made assumes you are Gnostic , I somehow doubt that. Second of all because something was done in the name of an institution is not evidence, much less proof the institution was the cause. With that logic the people who fired the machine guns that killed those at what is known as the St. Valentines Day Massacre where police because they claimed to be such.

And thirdly 17 million died in all the so called religious wars in history and well in excess of 100 million died in the twenty century alone at the hands of countries whose religion is humanism and evolution. To claim to be non-religious is to claim to be from another planet, on this one you either believe you were created or that you evolved, either is a religious belief. The belief you evolved has the fascinating aspect of meaning you are a collection of chance mistakes and have no reason to believe you are correct or are even asking the right questions.

And to top it off there are religious programs in the repositories already,they are anti-Christian so you do not mind.
It is sadly amusing to see people who hate telling others of their intellectual superiority. If Esword was in the depositories you would become angry because you don't like being told of the Bibles moral code , if you were morally superior and simply disagreed you would simply not download it as I choose to with the programs supporting your religion.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

There are plenty of places on the internet for religious discussion.
Mint Forum is not one of them.
Thread Locked

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”