Mint Naming

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
OldDuffer

Mint Naming

Post by OldDuffer »

Way back when, when Ubuntu was using random names for its releases, I suggested that they should use an alpahabetic naming system. i don't know if my suggestion (or somebody else's) was acted on but Ubuntu then went to Hardy Heron, Intrepid Ibex, Jaunty Jackalope, Karmic Koala, Lucid Lynx. Very easy to know which is the latest version.

Now, as I understand it, Linux Mint 8 Helena is actually based on Ubuntu Karmic Koala. So, why isn't it called Katerina, Kate, Katherine, or some other name that makes it clear where it derives from?

I understand that my suggestion is too late for the next (upcoming) release of Linux Mint. But, would you consider "bumping" the next version to a more understandable name?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ArcherSeven

Re: Mint Naming

Post by ArcherSeven »

The naming scheme is to show which version of Mint you have, not what it was derived from. Skipping several letters to match Ubuntu's lettering doesn't make sense, Mint is to be judged and used as Mint, not Ubuntu. My opinion, but I am willing to bet others will agree.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

+1 for ArcherSeven

I'm not sure we'd want to match names with the likes of Maverick Meerkat. Which Ubuntu Dev is responsible?
vincent

Post by vincent »

Mint does, in fact, use an alphabetic naming system (Elyssa, Felicia, Gloria, Helena, the upcoming Isadora...). It's just a bit different from Ubuntu's naming system...but then again, we're a different distribution, so I don't see how that is a problem in any way.
GhoS

Post by GhoS »

I understand the point that is trying to be made. However Mint is its own distribution, if they switched to using the exact same lettering as Ubuntu, it would take out some of the uniqueness of Mint.
Also noticed you didn't suggest that Mint change the version number, if you would change the name why not the versioning? Btw next year Mint will end up at a higher version number than Ubuntu the way things are going, is that going to mean Mint is "ahead" of Ubuntu? Of course not.
Versioning and naming are just ways to differentiate product and to let you know its related to the previous version.
One more thing, we don't want Mint to go the Windows route and try version numbers, then go by year, then letter combos that have meaning (ME, XP) oh but slip a year in there as well (2000) and then use a named version but suddenly next release go back to version numbers.
Lets keep Mint consistent in that area.
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

OldDuffer wrote:...but Ubuntu then went to Hardy Heron, Intrepid Ibex, Jaunty Jackalope, Karmic Koala, Lucid Lynx.
Actually, the alphabetic naming convention has been consistent since "Dapper Drake" which was the fourth release.
deleted

Post by deleted »

I think Stan Lee is naming Ubuntu releases.
I can't wait for:

Reed Richards
Sue Storm
Matt Murdock
Bruce Banner
Steven Strange
Silver Surfer
Jay Jonah Jameson Jr.

Ubuntu releases.
-Hinto
jesica

Post by jesica »

The names dont bother me, I just want the new software :mrgreen:
Andrew33

Post by Andrew33 »

I think the next name for LM and next version; 10, should be LM10 Jasmine....just my thought and opinion....especially if we're going through the alphabet....what do you think...have a great all.

Andrew :)
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

andrew5859 wrote:I think the next name for LM and next version; 10, should be LM10 Jasmine....just my thought and opinion....especially if we're going through the alphabet....what do you think...have a great all.
All the Mint names have to end with the letter "a". I think there's a naming suggestion thread around here somewhere.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”