upgrade from 8 to 9

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
whatch

upgrade from 8 to 9

Post by whatch »

I have Mint 8 working perfectly and hate to start over again with a fresh install. How do I upgrade to version 9?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
thx1138

Re: upgrade from 8 to 9

Post by thx1138 »

pingvinche

Post by pingvinche »

Best part of document
If things are working fine and you're happy with your current system, then you don't need to upgrade.
:D
Simply this is not windows to say, that you must to upgrade to new version or you will probably die! :P
Khaled Khalil

Post by Khaled Khalil »

pingvinche wrote:Best part of document
If things are working fine and you're happy with your current system, then you don't need to upgrade.
:D
Simply this is not windows to say, that you must to upgrade to new version or you will probably die! :P
or you stay in the safe, and miss so many new softwares that depend on new libraries which conflict with old ones your system uses.
btw, mint 5 was stable enough, i wonder if someone still uses it on his desktop just because of that.
pingvinche

Post by pingvinche »

@Khaled Khalil
Most of software is just made shinier. Version 5? , think it's to old to compare. :P But why not, if something does job just fine for me.
göktyta

Re: upgrade from mint 8 to Ubuntu 10.04 ?

Post by göktyta »

Is it possible to do a cross upgrade from linux mint 8 helena to plain ubuntu 10.04 using the C2 method (changing mint's sources.list for Ubuntu's) ? I chose to use the encrypted home option when I installed mint, and I hope to be able to be able to log in after upgrading ...
Johnny_Kage

Post by Johnny_Kage »

How did that upgrade work for you? I am curious to see if it worked...
whatch

Post by whatch »

I have not tried it yet. I've thought that during a down time I would backup my home directory and do a fresh install instead. I've played with Mint 9 on another computer and haven't seen the need to change from version 8 yet. Thanks.
deleted

Re: upgrade from mint 8 to Ubuntu 10.04 ?

Post by deleted »

göktyta wrote:Is it possible to do a cross upgrade from linux mint 8 helena to plain ubuntu 10.04 using the C2 method (changing mint's sources.list for Ubuntu's) ? I chose to use the encrypted home option when I installed mint, and I hope to be able to be able to log in after upgrading ...
I tried it... I *think* it was nVidia that coughed the hairball when I tried it... But since I have / and /home on different partitions I opted for a fresh install instead of trouble-shooting. It was much quicker and easier.
-Hinto

Return to “Installation & Boot”