Dist-Upgrade from Mint 5 Elyssa to 9

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
zappbrannigan

Dist-Upgrade from Mint 5 Elyssa to 9

Post by zappbrannigan »

Hi!

Until now, I had Mint 5 Elyssa running with which I was quite happy. Now I would like to upgrade to Mint 9 via dist-upgrade (no fresh install if possible). I guess it should work somehow along these lines:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LucidUpgrades#Upgrade from 8.04 LTS to 10.04 LTS

However, Mint uses a different update-manager and I thought it might be best to use aptitude right away instead of apt-get for this since aptitude handles complex dependencies a lot better.

But I could be wrong and I don't want to break my system completely...

How would I have to change my package repositories? (Any instance of "hardy" to "lucid" and any instance of "elyssa" to "isadora", I guess!?)

Does anyone have any experience with this procedure or any further ideas how to get this working as painless and fast as possible?

Thanks,
Zapp
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
distrohopper

Re: Dist-Upgrade from Mint 5 Elyssa to 9

Post by distrohopper »

I can't really tell you what will work, but one thing I can tell you that DOES NOT WORK is _DO NOT_ just change your software sources and do a package upgrade. Doing an upgrade like that WILL break your system. I've already seen a few people post about it. I'd hate to see another person try it.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. I've always been a fan of backing up my /home directories and doing a fresh install. Nothing is better or safer than a clean install.
vrkalak

Re: Dist-Upgrade from Mint 5 Elyssa to 9

Post by vrkalak »

Doing an 'upgrade' is not normally recommended, but, of course, can be done.
A 'fresh install' is always recommended.

Upgrade is OK ... when moving from one version up to the next version. As in from 7 to 8 ... or 8 to 9
Jumping across a version fro get the newest (from7 to 9, skipping over 8) is definitely a 'no-no' A sure way to break your system.

Making a move from Mint-5 to Mint-9 ... :shock: is a sure way to totally break 'everything'

There are some many changes to the main kernel, the Window Manager, the Desktop Environment and 'all' the Applications. Not to mention all the Mint specific programs.
I would never try this, recommend it or want to see it being done.

Better to download the new Mint-9, then back=up all your data and do a fresh install. This is the only way.

Return to “Installation & Boot”