JAVA on Isadora

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Linooxx

JAVA on Isadora

Post by Linooxx »

I am trying to install java with $ sudo apt-get java and sudo apt-get install java and it is not working? :oops:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mintymintminty
Level 2
Level 2

Re: JAVA on Isadora

Post by mintymintminty »

Go to synaptic package manager, Type in the search box Java 6 And voilà, Install the Java bin 6-20 and plug-in, i also suggest removing the iced tea plug-in from your browser if you want to use Java instead.
fixrman
Level 3
Level 3

Post by fixrman »

I downloaded Java through Software manager and it just sits as a recommended update. Update Manager seems to start but then disappears after doing nothing. I then tried to run via advice you gave to previous poster and the result is the same - process starts then just disappears.
Linooxx

Post by Linooxx »

sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin sun-java6-fonts hopefully this command will work,because it works with Ubuntu.
fixrman
Level 3
Level 3

Re: JAVA on Isadora [SOLVED]

Post by fixrman »

Ok this is what worked:

'sudo apt-get -f install'

after trying this: 'sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin sun-java6-fonts'

Terminal indicated that running apt-get -f install might work and it did. Whew!

I don't recall Windows ever suggesting a path or a command!

Note: I had downloaded java6 via software manager previously and it was sitting as '2 updates available', just for clarification.

Thanks for the help Linooxx!
somik

Post by somik »

fixrman wrote:I don't recall Windows ever suggesting a path or a command!

Code: Select all

Bad command or file name.
I dont know what to do when i get that, but i know it carries as much information as when my girlfriend says:
If you dont know why i am upset with you, i am not going to tell you.
So that analogy being made, i feel windows is more of a female version of a computer (impossible to understand but cant live without one) while linux is the male version....wait, does that make us a bi? Hmm, well, it doesn't cause we do hangout with guys/mates, however, we do spend time with our gf aswell :)

Oh, as for java, u should've gotten the DVD version. It even comes with VLC :D
fixrman
Level 3
Level 3

Post by fixrman »

we do hangout with guys/mates, however, we do spend time with our gf aswell :)
I'll leave that alone, as I saw a warning earlier about decorum...

Oddly, I forgot I even had a DVD burner, that's how often I use it. Lack of a blank DVD made the enterprise impossible.

VLC? Never used it. I'll have to look into it.
If you dont know why i am upset with you, i am not going to tell you.
Try: sudo tell me -what is bothering you

Return to “Beginner Questions”