Yay! I am now Linuxian!

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ElEdwards
Level 3
Level 3

Yay! I am now Linuxian!

Post by ElEdwards »

I just completed the removal of XP and installed Mint 3.0 utilizing both of my hard drives (Primary: 80Gig / Secondary: 40Gig)

Wow! Everything SINGS!! It's really fast! All of my hardware is working and I've really only hit one snag:

I have dual monitors and an ATI-7000 Dual Head card. At present, I simply have a cloned display on my second monitor.
I tried using Envy to install the ATI driver... it failed in 'automatic' and trying 'manual' was a disaster!! After the driver install was done, X wouldn't start! Luckily, I had made a backup of xorg.conf, so I reinstated it and everything is back.

Can anyone help me with getting a true dual display?

Thanks!! :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

For the envy issue that you mention perhaps a update to envy will help - see Alberto Malone's post at: http://www.linuxmint.com/planet/Software/

For the dual monitor question read these two links to see if they help.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=221174

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... l+monitors
frank392
Level 4
Level 4

Post by frank392 »

Hi ElEdwards,
Just press Ctrl Alt F1 and log in, then sudo envy
that will do the trick
ElEdwards
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ElEdwards »

I think what I'm running into is that the Linux ATI drivers are for video cards later than mine (ATI 7000).

I updated Envy but it still gives an error when I try to install the ATI driver.

Here's the error from the install log:
ENVY ERROR: Envy does not recognise your card as compatible with any version of the driver.this might happen because either your card is not supported by the driver or Envy's hardwaredetection failed. You can try the manual installation at your risk.
I tried the manual installation once but that prevented X from running.
Are there any generic ATI drivers that will work with my card?

Thanks! :)
El
ElEdwards
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ElEdwards »

Well, it turns out I have two problems......

#1 - ATI Card w/Dual Monitors - it appears that the ATI drivers don't support my card (ATI 7000), so for now, I just have two monitors with the same thing on each. Even with an update to the latest Envy, the ATI installation fails.

#2 - I have a SB Audigy2 Card - great sound output ..... but lousy (& noisy) mic input in either/both mic inputs.

Thoughts? Ideas? Help? :)

Thanks!
El
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

Using dual head monitors is best done manually.
you have to edit the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.

I would look for dual head configs for xorg.conf on the web.
Nvidia has good documentation on xorg.conf file configuration.
there may be some documentation for the ati in /usr/share/doc/... or somewhere like that.

but then again ATI have never been all that good on their Linux drivers so i dont expect much on the doco side either.

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!

Return to “Beginner Questions”