Running software from ntfs thru wine?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jbaerbock
Level 4
Level 4

Running software from ntfs thru wine?

Post by jbaerbock »

I have run a few apps this way. Are there any known problems with running programs from the ntfs windows partition with Linux and Wine? Normally I work with World of Warcraft for example in windows but wanna tinker around in Linux and see if I can get it to work in Mint with Wine. Would be nice to not have to re-install it though.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

From what I find it works for some apps and not for others
The reason given that the registry is used to store some data and when you run the app in Wine it does not add up - data stored in "the real registry" and the app looks for it in Wine's registry
jbaerbock
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jbaerbock »

Ah ok that would make sense. For example I play a version of Sims a friend put together. It is kinda tweaked and in a self extracting zip file. When unzipped it is all in one folder and does not add anything to registry or anything (nice and clean, one of the many reasons we tweaked it). It gives me an error in Wine and runs fine in XP. So now I'm trying to figure out how to fix that.

Return to “Software & Applications”