with Mint 9 is not possible to save movies

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
guido8

with Mint 9 is not possible to save movies

Post by guido8 »

Hello!

I replaced Mint 7 with Mint 9, after several try I was not able to save movies.

Mint 7: after the movie was downloaded, e.g. DivX and/or XviD, right click by the screen, there is the option SAVE, and that is not available by Mint 9.

Is there anyone knows how to solve this matter?

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JasonLG

Re: with Mint 9 is not possible to save movies

Post by JasonLG »

In what program are talking about?

Are you talking about Firefox?
guido8

Post by guido8 »

Hi!

I am using Firefox, so as soon as I start to view the movie (full screen), clicking by the screen (right bottom-mouse) there is not the option SAVE!

Even, once the movies is completely downloaded, SAVE is disable!

Mint 7 has the SAVE option as soon as 1% of the movie is downloaded.

movies in DivX, XviD etc with Mint 7 I have never had any problem.

Resuming: I open Firefox, I get the movie I like, as soon as it's possible to play it, right click and by the list is appearing

open
play
stop
show controls
full screen copy location
preferences
save
quit

both option PREFERENCES and SAVE are not there because disabled (you can read them, you can see them, but it's not possible to click on them!

I would like to thank you and please, let me know if you need more info, I greatly appreciate your help!
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

I assume you are trying to save movies that you watch in your browser? I generally use the Video Downloadhelper extension for firefox for this. I simply save them locally, then watch them from there, no need to wait, or have it tie up your browser. Also uses less resources than watching in your browser.
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

Londoner wrote:Just copy or drag the downloaded file out of /tmp folder. I can't see any reason for downloadhelper in linux, check this very brief 2 min vid tutorial for the simplest ever method of grabbing a vid viewed from a browser http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7J-ifbhi ... ynZO-3hyCE

With the extension, it takes about 5 seconds to grab the vid. Doesn't matter if linux or whatever. I use it all the time, works a treat. Why waste time browsing tom, and copying files from cache, when you can just grab the vid, and close the browser tab off?
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

The one I'm talking about (I gave it's full, complete name, so you can check it out) is simple for downloading, and there apparently is an option to convert videos in amongst it, but I never use that, they always play fine as they are,.
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

????

It's one extension, you use it to grab vids and even picture galleries. It doesn't get any simpler. There's nothing "cluttered" about it. O o

It's way simpler than your bloody tute. *shake head* Some people. :P
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

zerokool wrote:
Midnighter wrote:The guy posted a great link and gave some great advice which is more than you have done with your dumb ff extension, everyone knows that adding more extensions to firefox can slow it down and even cause conflicts, so I will go with Londoners advice and recomendation anyday. You seem a bit dumb and immature with your silly last sentence, perhaps your just an adolescent who should run to your Mother now.
Before you call something dumb you should understand how it works. Using the /tmp folder method you first have to wait for the video to fully play in your browser. Otherwise it's not fully cached, and the tmp file is not complete. With the downloadhelper extension you can actually close out the tab in firefox if you want, and not have to worry about if it's cached or not. You also can choose what folder to download the file to, so you don't have to go into Nautilus and move the file. I fail to see how this is "dumb". It works quite well, and does not slow Firefox down in any way. Finally if you are worried about speed in Firefox let me know. I'll post some speed tweaks here for you that will make Firefox so much faster you will be wondering why you didn't apply them before.
markcynt

Post by markcynt »

zerokool wrote:The guy posted a great link and gave some great advice which is more than you have done with your dumb ff extension, everyone knows that adding more extensions to firefox can slow it down and even cause conflicts, so I will go with Londoners advice and recomendation anyday. You seem a bit dumb and immature with your silly last sentence, perhaps your just an adolescent who should run to your Mother now.
zerokool, not exactly the kind of post that makes you look smart or mature.
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

zerokool and Midnighter,

There is no reason to use personal attacks in this type of discussion. Each of you has what works for him. Rather than starting a flame war, please agree to disagree and let it go. A method for downloading videos is not worth all this aggravation and insult. Please keep it cool and calm.

Discuss all you want but realize that others may make different choices about how to do things in Linux. This does not make them wrong or targets for derision, it just makes them different. After all one of the attractions of Linux is that there are choices in the method to do almost everything.

Different people use different methods. A topic like this, if it is kept respectful and cool, is a good way to present these different methods to the general population. If it degenerates into a heated personal exchange with negative allusions to the other person's mental abilities and other insults, the topic is no longer useful and may be locked and the involved members warned about their actions. Really bad flame wars can result in the topic being deleted and the involved individuals banned for a period or permanently depending on the seriousness of the offense.

None of the moderators like taking these actions so I am making this long post to try to get you both to respect the other one's opinion as a valid alternate way to approach this task.

There are probably at least three or four other ways to do this, each as valid as the two you are arguing over. Each method will be the easier for some users than the others. Everyone has different skill sets and may prefer a different method to do things. This does not make them wrong and you right, it only makes them different. This is a good thing. Imagine how boring the world would be if everyone was identical to all other people.
wqawasmi

Post by wqawasmi »

Well usually what I happen to do in Chromium after I finish watching a movie/listening to a song, I go back and right click on the link, and press "Save Link As", and save it somewhere on my hard drive.

Not sure if it works as smoothly in FF however.

Good Luck!
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

zerokool wrote:forgot to add to the dumbos, no you dont have to wait for the video to finish playing but you do have to wait for it to fully load in order to use this highly intelligent method of capture/download..........have a good one dumbos :lol:
I assume this is directed at me. I did make an error in my previous post. Yes the video has to finish loading, not playing before it's fully cached and can be copied out of the /tmp folder. That doesn't make me a dumbo. What are you 12 years old or something? You're conduct here has been nothing short of rude, and it's obvious you are trying to provoke other members. Congratulations, you have succeeded.
Kaye

Post by Kaye »

Just thought I should chime in here,

Whenever someone comes in acting like zerokool, it's usually a good idea to check out their previous posts before responding. This guy has been nothing but rude and ignorant since day one at this forum. Better off to just ignore someone like him and let him fade away of his own accord. Don't feed the trolls guys.
bubenis

Post by bubenis »

If you are using Firefox,then go to your home folder (mintshome).Then you will see a folder(downloads).Well select the file or movie right click ,then copy or cut and just place it where you want for example deskto,then paste.Easy!Ive tried to dwonload movies too!Ewerething is alright!
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mzsade »

Ha, Ha! This is much more fun than women's mud-wrestling. :lol: But back to the topic, there are sites like megavideo, youtube, divx etc, for which you will find the whole video (after it has played out fully), in the /tmp folder; and then there are sites like stagevu for which you will have to go to the ~/.cache folder to find it. This might have encouraged piracy, because i observed that when trying to view a youku movie recently (youtube's Chinese cousin), the video was split into itsy-bitsy flv files in the /tmp folder. This is a recent counter-step on their part that i discovered when i watched this ( http://watchallyoucan.com/movies/detail ... rail_-2006 )
Linux User #481272 Reg: 15th Sept., 2008
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mzsade »

Went to myspace for the first time just to check out your question, and the files are there in the /tmp folder. I think you are confusing the ~/tmp folder with the "File System or root>>tmp" folder, as i did before.
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mzsade »

I was on my Crunchbang Statler xfce partition (Thunar file manager) when i posted that, so i booted back into my Mint partition, and sure enough, the myspace videos load simultaneously in the File System>>tmp folder. In Nautilus, if you are on Mint i.e., there is no ~/tmp folder, so which /tmp folder are you visiting? Are you waiting long enough for the video to begin playing, because it won't appear until it begins to do so.

Edit: Check this out again, http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... 0bb54dd778 BTW, didn't know myspace had such a lot of soft-<violates forum rules> on it, naughty, naughty... :lol:
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mzsade »

Yeah, you're right, there's nothing in the /tmp folder or elsewhere for the audio, but I thought this post was about movies and videos. Now i am curious too. Hitherto, all my audio used to be saved on the playlists of the sites i used to follow, didn't have anything saved on my computer as far as music was concerned.

Edit: Actually there is a lot of stuff, like plugin-mediaplayer.service.ahsx, several of them, in fact, but i have no idea how to play those.
bubenis

Post by bubenis »

I now get it.You go to the website,you clik download and you click open not save.Then you have to go to the Home Folder and click downloads.That movie will be in that folder.Maybe you should try CTRL+S. ,when the FullScreen appeared.Maybe just search for the file or movie :D :D :D .
lawrenceGT

Post by lawrenceGT »

TBH, I just use the temp files but I never really have much cause to do so. Anyhow, you can probably change file type preference in your browser and use a combination of /tmp file to achieve saving downloads. I'm not sure about plugins... I only really use ad-block and something else I can't remember; Autoform.

Return to “Software & Applications”