Progress...

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
robsmint

Re: Progress...

Post by robsmint »

hinto wrote:You can replace the generic kernel with the PAE version . It works for me.
Thanks for the tip hinto. I will check it out.
vger7

Post by vger7 »

regarding the firestarter comment I made...

It seems that this version uses ufw for a firewall, same as the last version.
Version 8 also had a gui for it, gufw. Not to be found on LXDE 9.
I went to install it but synaptic wants to add 'menu' to the install.
I'm afraid this would really hose the menu LXDE is using.

Your thoughts?
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

vger7,

Adding 'menu' should be perfectly fine.
mastablasta
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mastablasta »

vger7 wrote: 83 meg idle footprint, with terminal open and htop running.
After installing guest additions, memory size went to 92 meg,
same as I'm seeing in Mint 8/LXDE.
Oh wow! that's really great! I will try this one then on a 256MB notebook. Already tried Lubuntu there and it worked great, but it has some things missing (such as a nice user friendly software manager). I need this computer to be for people semi literate with computers. So mint on the other hand puts me off a bit with the backup and clean reinstall procedure to update the system. Especially since this notebook doens' thave large HDD so making backups on it might proove difficult and slow. Well we'll see.

Any specific reason why this is only RC? Is it because Lubuntu is "beta"?
vger7

Post by vger7 »

mastablasta wrote:
vger7 wrote: 83 meg idle footprint, with terminal open and htop running.
After installing guest additions, memory size went to 92 meg,
same as I'm seeing in Mint 8/LXDE.
Oh wow! that's really great! I will try this one then on a 256MB notebook. Already tried Lubuntu there and it worked great, but it has some things missing (such as a nice user friendly software manager). I need this computer to be for people semi literate with computers. So mint on the other hand puts me off a bit with the backup and clean reinstall procedure to update the system. Especially since this notebook doens' thave large HDD so making backups on it might proove difficult and slow. Well we'll see.

Any specific reason why this is only RC? Is it because Lubuntu is "beta"?

Remember that I'm running it in Virtualbox which is sucking up soon memory too.
You'll get better results on actual hardware.

Lubuntu is basically Ubuntu with LXDE on it.
Mint/LXDE is Mint with LXDE on it.
Both have roots in Ubuntu, but Mint does a way better implementation.
It's been Mintified. :mrgreen:

I tried Lubuntu also and found a few bugs, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna subscribe
to a mailing list to report them! Besides, they're too busy thinking about the next release.
I honestly don't have much faith in them. Lubuntu's idea of an update is to give you
100+ languages to install, then dump the ones you don't want!
That is assinine!
-sorry to rant-

Anyway here my Mint9/LXDE:
http://i47.tinypic.com/2mwf600.jpg"
Isn't she pretty?
mastablasta
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mastablasta »

So why is it RC? is there going to be final version? because if so then i will wait instead of burning it on CD.
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

mastablasta wrote:So why is it RC? is there going to be final version? because if so then i will wait instead of burning it on CD.
Yes, there will be a stable version. Every Mint edition goes to RC before it is released as stable. This is so that the members of the community who wish to test and report bugs can do so before the stable release in order to provide the best desktop experience when the stabler version drops.
mastablasta
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mastablasta »

Fantastic! Since my knowledge on this OS is limited i can not really help with testing. So i will wait for the final version, before burning.
msm

Post by msm »

I'm not sure if this is a bug or if it's supposed to be like this, but it doesn't seem possible to customize installed themes. Also, it only seems possible to get themes via the software manager. If I download themes from elsewhere I can't install/import them into the Appearance manager. This is possible in the Mint 9 main.
senseiski

Post by senseiski »

msm wrote:I'm not sure if this is a bug or if it's supposed to be like this, but it doesn't seem possible to customize installed themes. Also, it only seems possible to get themes via the software manager. If I download themes from elsewhere I can't install/import them into the Appearance manager. This is possible in the Mint 9 main.
It's a little bit different in LXDE :) Drag&Drop is a no-go - you have to put the theme file/folder into /home/user/.themes or /usr/share/themes and then to be able to apply them to your desktop. And it is even harder with themes for the window manager (openbox)
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=175&t=45921 - you can see this topic on that matter.
msm

Post by msm »

Thanks for that. Will check it out :)
Bluebris

Post by Bluebris »

vger7 wrote:regarding the firestarter comment I made...

It seems that this version uses ufw for a firewall, same as the last version.
Version 8 also had a gui for it, gufw. Not to be found on LXDE 9.
I went to install it but synaptic wants to add 'menu' to the install.
I'm afraid this would really hose the menu LXDE is using.

Your thoughts?
Unless you specifically want to play around with the settings, from a terminal you can just type

sudo ufw enable
and it should start it up, and then start it every time you start your system

You can check anytime it's running with
sudo ufw status

I'm pretty sure those are the commands.
By default it will allow outgoing and deny incoming
downunder

Post by downunder »

As I mentioned on the blog where the RC was announced, pyNeighborhood doesn't really work, so I tried some tests with this tool. I have a network of 3 computers with Mint installed (8 and 9), with 2 of them have shared folders. On the computer with the LXDE 9 RC installed pyNeighborhood cannot scan the Group, but finds the 2 other computers automatically. scanning these computers works fine, it can detect the shared folders, but cannot mount them. I checked the default mounting point, and set this to my home folder.
after starting pyNeighborhood as root (gksu pyNeighborhood), the 2 other computers weren't detected automatically. scanning the Group failed here also. I could manually add the computers with the button Add Machine, and then the scan function on this computer works. I can even mount a shared folder now! In the default filemanager I can explore the shared folder, but it says it's empty, while it's not.

I'm guessing this is not the correct behaviour of pyNeighborhood? :) Is there anything else I could try to investigate/fix this?
deleted

Post by deleted »

One alternative to pyNeighborhood is to install gvfs

gvsf-bin
gvsf-fuse

Then from the command line you can do things like:

gvfs-mount smb://mywindowsPC/c$

you can find your mounts in ~/.gvfs

if you want to you can

ln -s ~/.gvfs ~network

You can then see all of your samba mounts in ~network with either the command line or the file manager

-Hinto
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

I'm definitely dropping pyneighborhood from Mint 9 LXDE in favor of gvfs. pyneighborhood just doesn't seem to cut it for most people.
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

I've just found out that the version of pyneighborhood included by default is broken. There is another version that I'm trying to find that supposedly fixes a bunch of issues.

I guess I might eventually have to get with Ikey and start writing a new tool to make this easier.
robsmint

Post by robsmint »

downunder wrote:pyNeighborhood cannot scan the Group, but finds the 2 other computers automatically. scanning these computers works fine, it can detect the shared folders, but cannot mount them.
Are these samba shares or NFS and have you checked if smbnetfs is installed?
See http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=175&t=45332 for some more info that may be relevant.
Baptou

Post by Baptou »

How about using Gigolo?

From the homepage:
Gigolo is a frontend to easily manage connections to remote filesystems using GIO/GVfs. It allows you to quickly connect/mount a remote filesystem and manage bookmarks of such.

It is part of the Xfce Goodies project and the Subversion respository is hosted on the Xfce servers though it does not have any hard Xfce dependencies and can be used on other desktop environments as well. The only hard dependency is GTK2 (2.12 or newer).
You can browse the network quite easily once you enable the side panel in the preferences and you can bookmark shares and have them mount automatically every time you start Gigolo.
downunder

Post by downunder »

robsmint wrote:
downunder wrote:pyNeighborhood cannot scan the Group, but finds the 2 other computers automatically. scanning these computers works fine, it can detect the shared folders, but cannot mount them.
Are these samba shares or NFS and have you checked if smbnetfs is installed?
See http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=175&t=45332 for some more info that may be relevant.
the 2 Mint (Mint 8 ) computers have Samba shares, but there is even a windows 7 laptop with a shared folder in my network, that isn't detected at all.

I already saw that topic a few days ago, and I'm sure it will work, but I was trying to get it to work without installing other software, just 'out of the box'. It would be great if this issue is solved in the stable version :), that's why I put my test results here.

@Kendall: are you aware that when you go to Preferences --> Hardware drivers that this results in an "unnamed window" ?
senseiski

Post by senseiski »

Baptou wrote:How about using Gigolo?

From the homepage:
Gigolo is a frontend to easily manage connections to remote filesystems using GIO/GVfs. It allows you to quickly connect/mount a remote filesystem and manage bookmarks of such.

It is part of the Xfce Goodies project and the Subversion respository is hosted on the Xfce servers though it does not have any hard Xfce dependencies and can be used on other desktop environments as well. The only hard dependency is GTK2 (2.12 or newer).
You can browse the network quite easily once you enable the side panel in the preferences and you can bookmark shares and have them mount automatically every time you start Gigolo.
Weren't gigolo in Mint LXDE 8? I'm not using it right now, so I don't remember for sure.

Return to “Software & Applications”