Using the windows key to open mint menu?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
emorrp1

Re: Using the windows key to open mint menu?

Post by emorrp1 »

Hello, and Welcome to Linux Mint. Simply change it to "Super_L" then logout/login and you should be all set to go
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Wyzer

Post by Wyzer »

I too use the "start" key for all my years using Windows software.

Yet I have a question to ask about this question.

Did you have to "+Add" a command in order to use the "start" key to open the Menu, or did you edit an existing shortcut? If you did edit an existing shortcut can you please tell me which one? If you created a command and added the "Super_L" command to it, can you please post the command you created?

Thanks for your time, and I am sure many others will be helped by it!
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Wyzer,
Right-click the Menu, choose Preferences . . . :D
Wyzer

Post by Wyzer »

I did that and a menu pops up, I choose "Preferences" and I choose "keyboard shortcuts" under the open window, and that just leads me back to my statement in my previous reply.

Am I missing something obvious then?

I guess I was, things are all good now. :lol:
harshad1

Post by harshad1 »

I apologize for the thread necromancy but this seems to be the best place to ask this -

I use the 'windows key' (Super_L) in combination with other keys for a lot of lot of shortcuts. However, I want a single tap of the windows key to bring up mint menu as well.

This is similar to windows' behavior where the windows key starts the star menu while win + D shows the desktop etc.

Is there any way to do this? One way is to trigger mint menu on button release rather than button press.

Any ideas?

Thanks,...
sahilshinesalways

Post by sahilshinesalways »

the persons above had already stated the solutn.any way,
right click on mint menu icon->preference->keybord shortcut

change it from

<Control>Super_L

to

Super_L

but listen here 'L' means left.ie the mint menu will triger wen left windows key is pressed
markfiend

Post by markfiend »

Oh cool, that's really handy. Thanks!
harshad1

Post by harshad1 »

sahilshinesalways wrote:
change it from
<Control>Super_L
to
Super_L
First thing I tried. As I posted, this opens the mint menu the moment the Super_L key is pressed and does not let me use Super_L + something else as a shortcut. I want both. i.e. I want to be able to use Super_L + d (among many others) to open the desktop and just Super_L to open mint menu.

Thanks
bugmenotprettyplz

Post by bugmenotprettyplz »

I have the same issue.
sahilshinesalways

well all u want is delay after pressing super L...if its prolong then menu will open and if its short ie super+"X" den the appropiate action sud occur...rite now m testing ubuntu 11.04 alpha1....just give me few days i will see to the matter
wlake

Post by wlake »

This is probably not what you want, but can you use Super_L to open mintmenu and then reverse the order for the other shortcuts i.e., use d+Super_L to show desktop.
sahilshinesalways

wlake wrote:This is probably not what you want, but can you use Super_L to open mintmenu and then reverse the order for the other shortcuts i.e., use d+Super_L to show desktop.
+1 :D
lotharjade
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lotharjade »

So, if I have that right.. The normal behavior is to press the control key, and then at the same time to press the left windows button (Super L)? I tried that and it did not open the mint menu in Mate. Am I off here on what I press somehow?
Have you tried turning it off and on again, then hitting it repeatedly? :/

Return to “MATE”