How to recover from a Frozen System

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
Husse

Re: How to Fix a Frozen System

Post by Husse »

I think that if you don't have a separate Prtscr/Sysreq key this may not be possible
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

I think that if you don't have a separate Prtscr/Sysreq key this may not be possible
probably right -so that rules out the RESUB command, but if xieu90 does have alt -backspace,
( press alt 1st then backspace 2nd)
then it should work - like - immediately :)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
eddie

Post by eddie »

Random
Entry
If
System
Utterly
B*gg*r*d

Wish I'd known this the other week when my system hung due to a rogue CD rom. Ended up reformatting and re-installing.

eddie
Husse

Post by Husse »

@ eddie
It's mostly fairly safe to cut the power - but of course one day you do that when it's not - has happened to me (in Windows though)
alanMor

Re: How to recover from a Frozen System

Post by alanMor »

So if i actually shut down with the power can i damage the hard drive??? cuz i did that (before i read this thread ) and now my laptop doesn't want to boot and its making a strange noise.... :(
kai3345

Post by kai3345 »

Fuuny! This is a nice way to reboot. Don't want to try it yet though. :shock:
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

alanMor wrote:So if i actually shut down with the power can i damage the hard drive??? cuz i did that (before i read this thread ) and now my laptop doesn't want to boot and its making a strange noise.... :(
Damage the hard drive... not likely (especially on a laptop). Corrupt the data on the hard drive, yes. Modern hard drives cache data to enhance performance. If the power is cut before that cached data is written, then the data will likely be lost. If the data happens to be something needed by the file system then the file system itself can become corrupt. Modern journaling file systems can often recover from this, but nothing is guaranteed. Always better to do a "safe" shutdown/reboot when possible.
jxgreat

Post by jxgreat »

Well good.
But while completing typing it unmounted all the drives and terminated the tasks but it doesn't restart my computer. I have to manually press the power button to shutdown it.
NPBrowning

Post by NPBrowning »

Awesome tip! I have encountered some System freezes lately on Linux Mint 8 so I switched to 10.
geazzy

Post by geazzy »

Good tips, I do if my PC hangs :D
Tannn3r

Post by Tannn3r »

This didn't work for me. I ended up having to force a shut down.
donec
Level 4
Level 4

Post by donec »

Does anyone have any ideas as to why our computers are freezing?
Don
http://bestwebstop.webcentr.net
Links and accurate information provide the best answer, while garbage in provides garbage out.ImageRegistered Linux user # 449322
Moved up to LM17 KDE
sabresofparadise

Post by sabresofparadise »

you will know when to utilize REISUB as all other keyboard commands basically have no effect whatsover when your system freezes, it's probably the best get out jail card there is in Linux... :D
rdanner3

Post by rdanner3 »

What's funny is that I accidentally used KISUB once, and it worked. Now, if the GUI locks, I just Alt-PrtScr + K and it restarts.

The Wikipedia article is pretty informative and gives functions I had no idea of that could be quite useful, too.
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

rdanner3 wrote:What's funny is that I accidentally used KISUB once, and it worked. Now, if the GUI locks, I just Alt-PrtScr + K and it restarts.

The Wikipedia article is pretty informative and gives functions I had no idea of that could be quite useful, too.

Mine froze yesterday and the REISUB did nothing. Next time I'll try what you did and see what happens :wink:
j0x

Post by j0x »

jxgreat wrote:Well good.
But while completing typing it unmounted all the drives and terminated the tasks but it doesn't restart my computer. I have to manually press the power button to shutdown it.
well in my case i have to press an additional key combos of CTRL+ALT+DELETE to restart Linux Mint

or is their anything we are missing or doing wrong? i like to know, any experts reading please let us know :)
Thinker

Post by Thinker »

Is this recovery? All data will be lost. This is of no use for a common user. "Safe way to restart" is better name for this article.

Presing Alt+Print Scr + K will cause logout by Killing X-server. Although this will not save any data but it is much better and time saving than REISUB
ElMugroso

Post by ElMugroso »

Does it matter upper or lower case in REISUB?
rdanner3

Post by rdanner3 »

ElMugroso wrote:Does it matter upper or lower case in REISUB?
No. But you must hold down ALT and PrtScn (also labeled SysReq on some keyboards) throughout. That's why it takes both hands to successfully use.

ALT+PrtScrn+B should shut down the system. Do not recall the letter to restart.

Incidentally, if you happen to be in a terminal while using the magic-key combos, you might well see some statements fly by. Or you might not. It seems to be a tad random, at least in my experience.
donec
Level 4
Level 4

Post by donec »

Why can't this problem be fixed?

I have had this happen on 3 different computers with LM 10, LM 11 and LM 12. Still no fix?

This is almost like the Blue Screen of Death except it doesn't give a code that can't be understood.
Don
http://bestwebstop.webcentr.net
Links and accurate information provide the best answer, while garbage in provides garbage out.ImageRegistered Linux user # 449322
Moved up to LM17 KDE

Return to “Tutorials”