Wine Problem with Mint 9. SOLVED

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
grizwald
Level 3
Level 3

Wine Problem with Mint 9. SOLVED

Post by grizwald »

I too am having a problem running a windows program under wine. I'm running Mint 9.

I downloaded a program called Echolink from a trusted site. With Wine installed and configured as XP I click on the downloaded EcholinkSetup_2_0_908.exe file and get the following error message.

Archive: /home/griz9/Downloads/EchoLinkSetup_2_0_908.exe
[/home/griz9/Downloads/EchoLinkSetup_2_0_908.exe]
End-of-central-directory signature not found. Either this file is not
a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive. In the
latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
the last disk(s) of this archive.
zipinfo: cannot find zipfile directory in one of /home/griz9/Downloads/EchoLinkSetup_2_0_908.exe or
/home/griz9/Downloads/EchoLinkSetup_2_0_908.exe.zip, and cannot find /home/griz9/Downloads/EchoLinkSetup_2_0_908.exe.ZIP, period.

Obviously the program is not a zip file so what gives???!!!

I get this exact same message no matter what windows program I try to install.

Never had a moments trouble using wine with earlier Mint releases so obviously something has changed with Mint 9.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Griz.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
frogimus

Re: Wine Problem with Mint 9.

Post by frogimus »

It appears that Archive Manager is attempting to open the *.exe file instead of wine. Right click a file and see if "Open with Wine Windows Program Loader" is an option. If not, "Open with Other Application..." will let you input the application name, and also make it the default for those files.
grizwald
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Wine Problem with Mint 9. SOLVED.

Post by grizwald »

Thank you frogimus for your quick response. Your suggestion about "Open with another Application" pointed me in the right direction.... A new message appeared which in short, referred to changing the "Permissions" of the file and when applied, allowed the program to run as expected.

Thank you very much for your help in solving my problem.

Cheers,

Griz.
frogimus

Post by frogimus »

:oops: I forgot about making it executable - guess that's one of those things I do without thinking. At least it got you to the answer, even if in a round-about fashion.
grizwald
Level 3
Level 3

Post by grizwald »

Bit of a trap for 'young players' but quite a neat idea for stopping unwanted baggage from running in the background.
I'm not bothered about the round-about fashion, I'm delighted the mystery has been solved.

Return to “Software & Applications”