Would you like windows with that?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
roid

Would you like windows with that?

Post by roid »

NO! Frustrated at the number of computer manufactures that sell machine exclusively with windows on I was wondering if anyone knew of manufacturers that sell laptops in particular without a operating system as I would prefer not to spend £100 ish on a operating system I am pretty much going to get rid of the second I turn on the computer.

ROID
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
beefstu

Re: Would you like windows with that?

Post by beefstu »

Novatech! but I think you already know that one seeing as you once asked about a Novatech laptop lol!

TBH, its always going to be the small retailers which will offer that, I guess its not in pc world/currys/best buy 's interests to support it. http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/08/micr ... -how-to-t/

It wouldn't surprise me if Microsoft with their huge monopoly has a contract with such companies to not allow them to less PC's sans Windows.

On another note, I *think* Dell do lappies without Windows, not sure how much it lowers the cost though.
frogimus

Post by frogimus »

Dell has them. And I believe I saw Acer offering a laptop with linux a while back (but it may have been just a netbook). If you don't mind recert's, geeks.com has no-OS recertified laptops, also.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

Most computer retail stores that sell Used or Rebuilt PC or laptops, will sell them with NO Operating System pre-installed.
These machines work great for Linux.

For a price they will install a version of Windows if you want one. :?
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

I can't believe a manufacturer or assembler (since they don't actually manufacture anything), even such as Dell or HP or Toshiba or Sony, or Asus or Acer etc, cannot simply make up a notebook/netbook without a hard drive or storage unit, add their own choice and offer any OS they want, or the customer selects..

Now it is of course not part of their mandate, to cater to a small minority of users, whether they be Apple OS-X or Linux
--and no doubt it would be a public fight, if for instance Dell took an Intel PC or Notebook and offered to add your OS of choice: Win something ??, Apple OS-X, Linux (which distribution do you want or would you like one pre-made for that machine ?)

And license agreements, even if all the details are unknown no doubt prohibit such creative actions..
  • That much is fairly obvious
Also obvious is that if you want a custom system, you have to DIY or use an assembler who will, at the usual higher cost, since there are not many bare-bone notebooks (more in the desktop arena), and the retailers who offer for example Linux as the OS to be installed will necessarily have a higher price point, perhaps by a significant amount
--so the usual method for anyone who wants to ditch Microsoft OS for their own choice, is to buy from the volume manufacturers/assemblers, such as Dell, and setup the system themselves (DIY)

Not that the latest Microsoft OS or possible the latest Apple OS-X (or later, Google's Android) is that bad of a choice
--it depends on what you want or think you need now or later, for maintenance of the system, always a chore with some OS types available, not so much with the Linux choice..
waldo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by waldo »

As I've mentioned several times in this forum, and others, when you buy a computer with Windows pre installed, you are not paying $100 (or the same in British Pounds), or anything close to that. If you really just want Linux, buy the Windows machine, and wipe the drive. The systems sold without an OS, are not going to be any cheaper. One thing, there is actually more labor involved, as they have to put something on to test the system during production. If you buy without Windows, they have to remove it.

The contracts are complex, but essentially it is the advertising included with your machine that pays for Windows. First of all, it is a version of Windows that is locked on that machine, and cannot be installed on another computer, so it is worth far less than a normal copy. Included are usually several trial ware programs that earn money for the publishers (including Microsoft's own Office suite) if you buy. Those publishers pay to have those placed there, or at least pay the computer manufacturer a "commission" when you buy. The trial anti virus is a very profitable deal for Norton or McAfee or whoever, as you will likely renew every year. Microsoft is also betting that a percentage of users will upgrade to the next version of Windows when it is released. All that potential income is lost when you buy with a bare drive.

The bottom line is that Dell, Acer, HP, Toshiba, and the rest are not paying for that copy of Windows, and neither are you. So blow it off if you like. You didn't pay for it. However, a piece of advice from an old pro in this business: save your copy somehow (even if it is on that hidden reinstall partition), as you may want to sell the machine someday. If you have a big enough drive, dual boot. That won't cost you anything either.
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

I think the few Ubuntu-based laptops that Dell sells cost the same as their Windows counterparts. As waldo said, you're not really paying for that copy. The trialware they dump on the thing pays for it.
kwisher

Post by kwisher »

System76 is the only one besides Dell that I can think of at the moment. There is another that I heard about a while back but cannot remember their name.

http://www.system76.com/
JonM33

Post by JonM33 »

randomizer wrote:I think the few Ubuntu-based laptops that Dell sells cost the same as their Windows counterparts. As waldo said, you're not really paying for that copy. The trialware they dump on the thing pays for it.
Yeah, they have so many Windows licenses that it is an insignificant charge for them to toss WIndows 7 Home Edition on there.
Superewza

Post by Superewza »

You can claim money back, if you never boot into Windows and don't accept the terms & conditions (you know, the 'you own my soul' bit).

http://www.bitterwallet.com/pc-user-ref ... dows/20003
The Microsoft Windows End User License Agreement means accepting terms of use as soon as you fire up Windows, but a clause in the EULA states:

"By using the software, you accept these terms. If you do not accept them, do not use the software. Instead, return it to the retailer for a refund or credit. If you cannot obtain a refund there, contact Microsoft or the Microsoft affiliate serving your country for information about Microsoft’s refund policies."

Return to “Chat about Linux”