MintTouch

About programming and getting involved with Linux Mint development
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kamyio

MintTouch

Post by kamyio »

I have been designing this idea out for a very long time. Handhelds are popular to come with touch screens, but computers royally suck at having touch screens. The HP TouchSmart you can start out with is just a clever new menu program that tries to hide Windows Vista/7. I am a designer personally, an old fashioned one at that, pencil, paper and ideas. But I was wondering if there are any coders out there that would be interested in helping this vision come true? I am not looking for a rebuild, I am straying away from that as far as possible because lets face it, as popular as Linux as a whole is, it just doesn't pay, literally. What I am really looking at is a new "toolbar". A recreation of the toolbar only to give better program selection and an easier, and much more visual type of content.

Beyond that, IF this project becomes reality and is designed correctly and beautifully as I'm sure the coders here can do very well, I am looking into hardware creation for this product. I may sound crazy now, but wouldn't it be nice to see a Linux Mint computer running in your hometown Best Buy? Plus if that happens the coders get to gain some real cash value to their product.

If you are interested, and willing to believe in this idea, please email me at kaminski_alex@me.com.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Craig

Re: MintTouch

Post by Craig »

Sounds interesting, if done right I think this could work really well and I hope you get the support you need in making it possible. I would of helped but unfortunately I'm not that great with the skills required. :)
LordBB

Post by LordBB »

Good idea! It's important to make things that Windows' have.
kamyio

Post by kamyio »

A few responses, I checked out that web-site, it's not bad design, but I do believe that my visions are much more unique.

To the last LordBB, this isn't like Windows, windows has a mouse interface with a touch screen monitor. It's like trying to create perfect hi-definition picture with component cords, works, but its not perfect. There are many things that need to be changed, you can say that the HP Touch Smart is what your talking about with its special program, that program does not do anything but make people go ohh and ahh, look how cool that looks, but it does nothing, there is no true multi-touch (stretching pictures does not count) no ways to utilize the actual desktop than having normal functions looking cool. This isn't to be like the iPod Touch, or some small tablet for mobilization, this is for a real desktop working zone, one that you can do multiple functions, easily, and with a more human touch to it all. I hate using my mouse, it only gets me so far, but a touch screen OS that isn't dumbed down for mobile use is what is needed.

Something useful, something elegant, something functional. NOT something that does what any computer can do, only looking cooler.

I am still looking for takers on this project, please input of good people to go to or just your personal ideas or wants that you would like to see in a touch screen multifunctional computer. The more ideas, the better it can be.
clgy15

Post by clgy15 »

Well I would be more than glad to take up this project. Im very proficent in C++, C, C# but iv never done any real development so if someone else was willing to work with me who new how to develop im sure I can learn quickly on how to do this kind of thing. I have plenty of hardware to use for this including the famed iTouch just laying around. And iv very interested in learning how to develop.
rothgar

Post by rothgar »

I think you might want something like 10gui although this would actually require new hardware to be made instead of creating software for a touch screen. Although maybe you could take the ideas and put it into a touch screen but the way they have it explained is still better IMO.
Superewza

Post by Superewza »

I get what you mean, kind of like the NBR but with a different interface. Could be great, but it might work out better as a seperate distribution, focussing on one or two products but offering complete support for them, like Pupeee.
Brad

Post by Brad »

Unfortunately,I am not a great programmer and don't see how I can really help.But,it is a great idea!Linux Mint for touch screens would be nice.I do,though,have some MintTouch slogan ideas:
1) "Touch Elegance"
2) "Touch Freedom"
3) "Linux For Green Fingers"
4) "Open Touch"
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

Bumptop had an interesting interface
http://bumptop.com/
  • Today, we have a big announcement to make: we're excited to announce that we've been acquired by Google! This means that BumpTop (for both Windows and Mac) will no longer be available for sale. Additionally, no updates to the products are planned.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BumpTop
http://www.ted.com/talks/anand_agarawal ... sktop.html
--but it has been bought out, and they no longer have it available for download

However, I think the only reason that portable devices work as touch screens, is that their screen real estate is very small, compared to a notebook or desktop, perhaps they are closer to a netbook (excepting the smart phones of course)
--and some devices like the IPad, I see as little different than a book reader, such as the Sony or kindle devices.

If you have a large screen/monitor, because you like the big picture or you like to play games: then using any kind of touchable screen operation, I am very sure will get very annoying in a hurry.
--and for that reason, I am an unlikely customer for HP touchscreen or Apple (do they have one for the IMacs, I don't keep track of their commercial interests that much)
kamyio

Post by kamyio »

Hello to those that recently have become interested in this project. I must say that I thought this topic no longer existed on these forums, as a few months ago I basically forgot about a Linux Mint touch version, and rather pursued with a few Linux developers into something much bigger. At first we sat down and said alright, how are we going to do this, a multi-touch computer, based off of Linux Mint, a task that seemed a little indifferent. The main reason was that all one needs to do is buy a touch screen, plug it in and they normally should be up and running. We realized we would have to change everything, from the UI down to the frame work. Now going this deep seems foolish, but we looked at the examples we have today, such as the HP Touch Smart Desktop, their decent until you add photos, movies, music etc. then they tax the processor so much its seems point to actually use. Upon realizing this, we had no idea where to start, its an impossible project to go from start to finish with three guys trying to rebuild an entire OS. But we haven't stopped, oh no we will not stop, because the course of this project has completely changed, everything about it will recreate the idea of digital and realism. Its the Da Vinci project, going so far as to create something that never seemed imaginable. We like to call it Ion. If you would like to join the team, and for more information about the project, please contact me, Alex Kaminski at:

email: kaminski_alex@me.com

Thank you.

Return to “Programming & Development”